Anyone Currently or Recently on the Amsterdam that Can Answer a Few Questions?

jennaja

We'll be sailing on the Amsterdam 14 day Alaska sailing next month.  Is there anyone currently or recently on the Amsterdam that can answer any of the following:

- What brand of regular bottled water do they carry, and how much is it per bottle?  Trying to determine if we need to carry bring it onboard with us, or just buy as we go.  I know that the ship's water is tasty, but due to meds I need to drink lots of bottled water.  Ship water makes me swell up like a blowfish!

- Does HAL internet support the use of a Jetpack/VPN?  I am required to do my work while I'm gone, so if the internet and/or Jetpack won't work while we're at sea, I'll be sitting in the cabin while everyone else is on shore.  I'm not tech savvie.  If the Jetpack/VPN won't work with HAL's internet, is there any other option that would work for me?

- At Pier 31, is it a ramp or stairs that take you from the port onto the ship?  This will determine how much carry-on we bring with us.

- Anyone know why it's taking so long for HAL to assign the guarantee cabins.  On the HAL site, all they have left are guarantee insides and guarantee unobstructed oceanviews, so seems like they would be ready to assign the cabins.  We just booked a few days ago.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

17 minutes ago, jennaja said:

We'll be sailing on the Amsterdam 14 day Alaska sailing next month.  Is there anyone currently or recently on the Amsterdam that can answer any of the following:

- What brand of regular bottled water do they carry, and how much is it per bottle?  Trying to determine if we need to carry bring it onboard with us, or just buy as we go.  I know that the ship's water is tasty, but due to meds I need to drink lots of bottled water.  Ship water makes me swell up like a blowfish!

- Does HAL internet support the use of a Jetpack/VPN?  I am required to do my work while I'm gone, so if the internet and/or Jetpack won't work while we're at sea, I'll be sitting in the cabin while everyone else is on shore.  I'm not tech savvie.  If the Jetpack/VPN won't work with HAL's internet, is there any other option that would work for me?

- At Pier 31, is it a ramp or stairs that take you from the port onto the ship?  This will determine how much carry-on we bring with us.

- Anyone know why it's taking so long for HAL to assign the guarantee cabins.  On the HAL site, all they have left are guarantee insides and guarantee unobstructed oceanviews, so seems like they would be ready to assign the cabins.  We just booked a few days ago.

Amsterdam will be at Pier 91, not 31. It should be a ramp on board.

Guarantee bookings are assigned from about 21 days to dock side. They are not late on assignments.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jennaja said:

If you are Three Star Mariner or more, you are eligible for a discount on bottled water purchased through your minibar or at the Explorations Café.  You can also buy a bottled water package online or when you board (log into your reservation, then go to Cruise Activities, then Beverages and you'll see it)  For sure they carry Evian.

As for the internet, I'd call ship's services to ask specifics about accessing your VPN.

We're on the 14 night at the end of July - 3rd time for this itinerary and second on Amsterdam.  You'll love it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jennaja said:

Seattle's (Smith Cove) Pier 91 (not 31) is an angled ramp that hydraulically connects to the ship

No photo description available.

Image may contain: sky, ocean, bridge, outdoor and water

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and water

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zelker said:

If you are Three Star Mariner or more, you are eligible for a discount on bottled water purchased through your minibar or at the Explorations Café.  You can also buy a bottled water package online or when you board (log into your reservation, then go to Cruise Activities, then Beverages and you'll see it)  For sure they carry Evian.

As for the internet, I'd call ship's services to ask specifics about accessing your VPN.

We're on the 14 night at the end of July - 3rd time for this itinerary and second on Amsterdam.  You'll love it!

Not looking for "fancy" water, just something like Arrowhead or Crystal Geyser.  This will be our 3rd cruise on HAL -- each one 14 days.  Not sure how many, if any, stars that gives us.

8 hours ago, jennaja said:

Not looking for "fancy" water, just something like Arrowhead or Crystal Geyser.  This will be our 3rd cruise on HAL -- each one 14 days.  Not sure how many, if any, stars that gives us.

Yes, they have something similar to those brands for sale too - not with a package and I don't think in the minibar either but there's always some available for sale at a table as you exit the ship in ports and probably elsewhere but I just don't pay attention to where.  Often we just buy a big bottle or two in port before we head back to the ship to keep in the cabin. (heck, we've even been known to schlep a case of water on before although my husband glares at me these days if I suggest it 🙃)

For sure you have 42 points (14x3) which makes you a Two Star; points are doubled for suites so if that's the case, you could already be a Three Star, which happens at 75 points.  And then whatever you spend additionally (specialty dining, purchases, beverages, spa, shopping, excursions, etc. count toward stars, too (1 point for every $300 spend).  You can either call the Mariner Society to see what level you are or log into your account and check that way.

• Like 1

HAL generally assigns guarantees in the last 10 days and often the last 3-4 days.  It is different than in the past, as IMO HAL is "working" the upsell process harder now in order to make a few extra dollars (cannot blame them).  Because of the upsells, they wait as long as possible to assign the guarantees (at least this is how I  THINK it works).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

HAL generally assigns guarantees in the last 10 days and often the last 3-4 days.  It is different than in the past, as IMO HAL is "working" the upsell process harder now in order to make a few extra dollars (cannot blame them).  Because of the upsells, they wait as long as possible to assign the guarantees (at least this is how I  THINK it works).

The only cabins showing as available are inside guarantees and unobstructed outside guarantees.  Not sure what they have to gain by waiting, unless they expect last minute cancellations.  Do they ever let people switch over to another HAL cruise at the last minute, if they have a lot of vacancies?   Thinking wistfully of the 21 day Alaska Maasdam sailing.

7 hours ago, jennaja said:

The only cabins showing as available are inside guarantees and unobstructed outside guarantees.  Not sure what they have to gain by waiting, unless they expect last minute cancellations.  Do they ever let people switch over to another HAL cruise at the last minute, if they have a lot of vacancies?   Thinking wistfully of the 21 day Alaska Maasdam sailing.

Even Sold Out categories can result in upsells due to last minute cancellations (it is common for people to wait until the last minute, especially if they have "cancel for any reason" insurance).  This happened to me a year ago - I got an upsell offer 4 days prior to sailing on a cruise that had the top categories completely sold out for months.  So, perhaps they are waiting to assign the cabins until the upsell process is completed?

As to the switching cruises, it is tough to say, but normally this is not allowed.  However, I would still call HAL and ask them, as you never know what they will allow. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jennaja said:

You can' tell how many cabins are still available from HAL's website, so don't even bother trying to second guess why HAL waits until the last minute to assign guarantees.  What you can't ascertain from the website is how many cabins are still in the hands of various TA's for sale.  We requested an upsell to an NS on our Grand Asia and had to wait until the ship had actually left the pier.  

• Like 1

$48.30 for 12 bottles of Evian, or $2.95 per 1 gal. bottled of distilled water.    There's no  "unlimited bottled water" option listed.

I can't find any other water shown on their website.  Not a fan of Evian -- just looking for Arrowhead or Crystal Geyser.

1 minute ago, jennaja said:

$48.30 for 12 bottles of Evian, or $2.95 per 1 gal. bottled of distilled water.    There's no  "unlimited bottled water" option listed.

I can't find any other water shown on their website.  Not a fan of Evian -- just looking for Arrowhead or Crystal Geyser.

Are they the large bottles?  I have been sailing Princess lately, their package is much different.

3 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Thanks.  There is a discount for 3 stars?

I don't know, as we're only 2 stars.😊

For $288.96 pp, there's also this:

14 Day Quench Beverage Package

Enjoy unlimited mocktails, juices, bottled water (sparkling 330ml or still 500ml), Exploration’s Café Beverages and sodas.

I just spoke with HAL's Ship Services dept.  He says the only bottled water on the Amsterdam is Evian.  You can bring as much water and/or soda onboard as you want, but you must now carry it onboard and to  your cabin yourself.  No more checking it in with your luggage.

Regarding HAL internet, he says it's satellite based, and not very fast or reliable.  The HAL rep will check further and call me back, but he isn't optimistic that it will work with a VPN/Jetpack.

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

Thanks.  There is a discount for 3 stars?

Unfortunately no discount on the water package but you do get a 25% discount if you buy water from your minifridge or the Explorations Café.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Unfortunately no discount on the water package but you do get a 25% discount if you buy water from your minifridge or the Explorations Café.

Thank you and every one else for the helpful info.  It has been a while since we have been on HAL, so I have to get reacquainted with the product.

For me it sounds like buying from the min fridge might bet better for me.  Does any one know the price of the water from the mini fridge?

The Quench Beverage Packages would be more that I would spend for what I would drink.  I drink one or two diet cokes per day and the rest is water.

I can't seem to find this info on HAL's web site.  I don't see where to log into Mariners either.  Do I need to have a cruise booked to see all of this?

• Like 1