First time

Deafcruise

Hi.

we decided to give Cunard a try for the first time. We will be booking this trip today. We will be sailing to ‘Hamburg next year May from Southampton. Staying at Queens grill. We really looking forward to it and have much to learn!

I’m trying to get my head around the formal wear! 

Jeff

Hi 🙂

I am sure you will have a splendid time 🙂

I have no experience of other ships but can say QM2 lived up to all expectations and more on our first trip - so despite it being a 'once in a lifetime' trip we are booked again 😃

If you are hoping for something stylish, smart, and with good service you will not be disappointed.

This is quite a handy guide https://ask.completecruisesolution.com/help/ext/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

My experience was that, throughout the ship, most men wore suits in the evening - and most women wore posh frocks or sparkling seperates. If one does wish to be casual then there are areas of the ship usable at all times, however I imagine as a Queens Grill traveller you are unlikely to be packing flipflops and little else 😁

You have plumped for luxury and that is what you will get - enjoy dressing for the occasion 🙂

Kind Regards

MamaFrog 🐸

3 hours ago, Deafcruise said:

Hi.

we decided to give Cunard a try for the first time. We will be booking this trip today. We will be sailing to ‘Hamburg next year May from Southampton. Staying at Queens grill. We really looking forward to it and have much to learn!

I’m trying to get my head around the formal wear! 

Jeff

Which ship?

We also did "our once in a lifetime" crossing on QM2 but have booked another one for May 2020. You will love this experience.  There is so much history on this ship.  Make sure you attend tea at least one time in the Queens Room.  That is an experience you will never forget.  We did it back in 2008 and my husband and I still talk about the scones, finger sandwiches they served.  Have an awesome trip.

7 hours ago, MamaFrog said:

Hi 🙂

I am sure you will have a splendid time 🙂

I have no experience of other ships but can say QM2 lived up to all expectations and more on our first trip - so despite it being a 'once in a lifetime' trip we are booked again 😃

If you are hoping for something stylish, smart, and with good service you will not be disappointed.

This is quite a handy guide https://ask.completecruisesolution.com/help/ext/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

My experience was that, throughout the ship, most men wore suits in the evening - and most women wore posh frocks or sparkling seperates. If one does wish to be casual then there are areas of the ship usable at all times, however I imagine as a Queens Grill traveller you are unlikely to be packing flipflops and little else 😁

You have plumped for luxury and that is what you will get - enjoy dressing for the occasion 🙂

Kind Regards

MamaFrog 🐸

Oohhh cannot wait! All booked 🙂

3 hours ago, shippmates said:

We also did "our once in a lifetime" crossing on QM2 but have booked another one for May 2020. You will love this experience.  There is so much history on this ship.  Make sure you attend tea at least one time in the Queens Room.  That is an experience you will never forget.  We did it back in 2008 and my husband and I still talk about the scones, finger sandwiches they served.  Have an awesome trip.

Thanks 🙂

Good choice !

You may have already found this information but I hope it helps 

"Deaf/hearing impairment.
We are able to offer a hearing loop facility at Southampton cruise terminals and at the Purser’s Office on board. In addition we also provide an ‘infra-red’ hearing support system within some of our theatres and show lounges - compatible headsets are available 
from the Purser’s Office. 
A limited number of wireless visual alert 
systems and textphones are available on board. The textphone system is subject to the availability of telephone lines on board. The textphone will also enable us to alert you to any important announcements concerning 
your voyage and in the event of an emergency. 
Please note the visual alert system, will 
reduce surface space in your cabin. 
Our in-stateroom emergency video offers closed captioning and a British Sign Language translated version. The televisions within the cabins don’t have closed captioning due to the way that the satellite signal is received.
Should you wish to watch a DVD in your cabin; subject to availability we can provide access to a DVD player and a DVD library which contains closed captioning. Please speak to the Purser’s Office for further information"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Good choice !

You may have already found this information but I hope it helps 

"Deaf/hearing impairment.
We are able to offer a hearing loop facility at Southampton cruise terminals and at the Purser’s Office on board. In addition we also provide an ‘infra-red’ hearing support system within some of our theatres and show lounges - compatible headsets are available 
from the Purser’s Office. 
A limited number of wireless visual alert 
systems and textphones are available on board. The textphone system is subject to the availability of telephone lines on board. The textphone will also enable us to alert you to any important announcements concerning 
your voyage and in the event of an emergency. 
Please note the visual alert system, will 
reduce surface space in your cabin. 
Our in-stateroom emergency video offers closed captioning and a British Sign Language translated version. The televisions within the cabins don’t have closed captioning due to the way that the satellite signal is received.
Should you wish to watch a DVD in your cabin; subject to availability we can provide access to a DVD player and a DVD library which contains closed captioning. Please speak to the Purser’s Office for further information"

Very helpful thank you 

• Like 1

Just now, MamaFrog said:

Marvellous 😊

You will have a splendid time
She is as beautiful as her photos 😍

Great :0

I just now need to decide if drink package going to be worth it. 

14 minutes ago, Deafcruise said:

Great :0

I just now need to decide if drink package going to be worth it. 

Depends how much you drink 😄

I believe the limit is something like 15 a day, and there's a price cap - so not all drinks are included in any package.

Personally - whatever the drink - at my age I don't think I would ever leave the bathroom if I had 15 of anything 😂

• Haha 1

Be aware that Cunard allows you to bring your own alcoholic and non-alcoholic  beverages onboard for consumption in your cabin.. If you decided to bring your own bottle of wine to your dinner table there will be a corkage fee of $20-$25 I think. We always enjoy a glass or two of wine while dressing for dinner. 

Jack

Very useful thanks.

As we staying in the Queens Grills. Does breakfast include tea/coffee or orange juice in Grills restaurant?

Does drink package include gratuity?

Many thanks

Jeff 

In QG, you will be offered as much fruit juice as you can consume!

We always request a pot of tea and pot of coffee to let us drink at our own pace.

Tea and coffee is also served after lunch and dinner.

Regarding the drinks package, you can only have one small measure of spirits or wine every 15 minutes, so if you return from a trip and you're trying to have a couple of quick beers to quench a thirst, forget it. Many drinks/cocktails are not included.

Not good value.

Stewart

8 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Be aware that Cunard allows you to bring your own alcoholic and non-alcoholic  beverages onboard for consumption in your cabin.. If you decided to bring your own bottle of wine to your dinner table there will be a corkage fee of $20-$25 I think. We always enjoy a glass or two of wine while dressing for dinner. 

Jack

That's useful to know Jack - does one pack this separately or declare it in any way?

We don't drink much at all but it would be lovely to bring one special bottle with us as we'll be celebrating a 50th 🙂

Do you know if a bottle of good port be allowed?

Oh! 🙂

Thanks Stewart - that's really helpful. 

I assume you just put these in your cases ?

Any paper work?

I am dreadfully conventional.

'Actually caused a security man to smile on entering the USA first time - he asked if we were bringing in any food in and I blushed and said "Oh chocolate!" pulling a small bar from my handbag. He said " We can allow that ma'am" 😊

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

In QG, you will be offered as much fruit juice as you can consume!

We always request a pot of tea and pot of coffee to let us drink at our own pace.

Tea and coffee is also served after lunch and dinner.

Regarding the drinks package, you can only have one small measure of spirits or wine every 15 minutes, so if you return from a trip and you're trying to have a couple of quick beers to quench a thirst, forget it. Many drinks/cocktails are not included.

Not good value.

Stewart

And you can get free ordinary coffee in the bar anytime they are open.

The drinks package seems particularly a poor value in Queens Grill, where your suite will be stocked with 2 bottles of your choice of liquor.

For alcohol brought onboard, I think you're expected to hand-carry your items with you, as much for protection against breakage as anything. I once stuck a luggage label on a 12-pack of Coca-Co!a and some of the thin aluminum cans were punctured. It was slightly messy and I've never don't that again. Now I bring some half-liter plastic bottles and they're very resilient.

16 minutes ago, Deafcruise said:

Is that americano?

Sorry, I'm not good at coffee designations. It is ordinary filter coffee in a cup with milk in a jug. I think Cunard's version of Americano comes in a glass mug.

18 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

The drinks package seems particularly a poor value in Queens Grill, where your suite will be stocked with 2 bottles of your choice of liquor.

For alcohol brought onboard, I think you're expected to hand-carry your items with you, as much for protection against breakage as anything. I once stuck a luggage label on a 12-pack of Coca-Co!a and some of the thin aluminum cans were punctured. It was slightly messy and I've never don't that again. Now I bring some half-liter plastic bottles and they're very resilient.

Thanks...

Is there a list of liquor that we can chose from to help us to decide if we need to bring anything else onboard.

is there a fridge for us to use I.e storing cokes etc?

Many thanks