Train from Denali to Whittier

Cruisencatlady

I'm doing the Fairbanks/Denali land tour for the first time this August and was just wondering how long does it take from getting off the train from Denali/Fairbanks to Whittier to be processed with a cruise card and board the ship?   I know our luggage gets sent ahead from the land tour.  Processing is such a nightmare in Vancouver and hope that it is more streamline in Whittier. 

Thanks for any advise on the train trip and processing onboard info.

They make it very easy for you.  Princess staff usually board the train in Willow and go through the check in process with each passenger.  When you get to Whittier, someone will board the train with a book of cruise cards and the host in each of the cars will hand them out.  After you receive you card, you go through security and then board the ship.  Your luggage will be in your room already as they truck it from the lodge down to the ship.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 1

If I remember correctly, the trip was about 8 hours but it went very fast.  Such a neat train ride - we had a blast with our friends.  You can wander around the train and we got some great pictures from the back of the caboose.    Princess was so organized.  Like the other poster said, they take care of everything and as soon as the train stops, we got off and walked a very short distance to the ship.  Easiest boarding ever.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fishin' musician said:

Doesn't the train from Fairbanks/Denali arrive in Anchorage in the evening and the train to Whittier leave the next day? 

Train departs Denali and arrives non-stop in Whittier on my upcoming Cruisetour. It's something like 9 1/4 hours. Special run I guess.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

Train departs Denali and arrives non-stop in Whittier on my upcoming Cruisetour. It's something like 9 1/4 hours. Special run I guess.

It is a special run.  You can book the train segments direct with the Alaska Railroad and stop in Anchorage.  That's what we are doing this summer.

51 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

I should have my ocean medallion before I leave.  Maybe that will make it even easier. 

This will be the first year that there will be Medallions used on this route so it will be interesting to see how they adapt the check in process.  Sounds like it will be very easy for those with Medallions.  If for some reason folks don't have their Medallions yet I don't know if they will need to pick them up in Whittier or if they will be provided at some other point on the cruisetour or train.

• Like 1

It sounds like you are getting on the train in Talkeetna. We did this on our very first cruise. Loved it. It will be about 8 hours on the train depending if you have to wait for northbound freight ( they have priority). 

If you are getting on the train at Denali National Park it is a 10 hour train ride.

Get up move around take lots of pictures, grab a bite to eat, enjoy a drink or two and maybe even take a short nap. The staff is really good at getting you ready to get off the train and onto the ship. Oh! If by chance you are running late the ship will wait for you. 😊

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the insight.  Yes my train is:

RAIL: DENALI TO WHITTIER 

Direct to the Wilderness Rail: Denali National Park to Whittier Your travel time to Whittier is approximately 9 1/4 hours (295 miles) with the train scheduled to depart Denali National Park at 8:15 a.m. and arrive in Whittier at 5:30 p.m. Please have your cruise documents and passport in your possession and ready for your arrival in Whittier. Also, please note that luggage storage on the train is limited to the area immediately beneath your feet.   Breakfast and lunch are available for purchase while on the train.   Smoking is prohibited in the train cars and the outdoor viewing platforms.

• Like 1

My wife and I were on this train last year and we really enjoyed the train trip. It is very scenic. The food in the dining car was really good. A lot of the passengers made great use of the bar during the trip. You can walk around the car and move from car to car by going down the stairs and crossing over from car to car. We walked all the way to the last car where you can step outside. The departing went fairly fast because everything you need to check in at the terminal is given to you before the train arrives at the port. It is a short walk to the terminal from the train.

I would like to emphasize again about the frequent use of the bar, hint hint be sure to eat something. Once you are on board most people ate in the Horizon Buffet due to the long day.

• Like 1

Great information concerning the train.  We are looking forward to the experience.

Several people have mention that they move around.  Are the seats in the Observation car assigned to you for the duration of the trip?  Can you dine, walk around, and return to your seat?

Thank you.

11 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Great information concerning the train.  We are looking forward to the experience.

Several people have mention that they move around.  Are the seats in the Observation car assigned to you for the duration of the trip?  Can you dine, walk around, and return to your seat?

Thank you.

Yes the seats are assigned and yes you can walk around to your hearts content.  There's small observation decks between the railroad cars if you want to get  some fresh air or if you want to take pictures without the glare of glass.

You have two dining choices.  You can go down to the dining room (you can make a reservation after boarding the train and they will let you know when they are ready for you).  Or you can order from a more limited menu right at your seat.  There are hosts in the car that will take your order for food and / or drinks.  It's a wonderful experience.

• Like 2

Just now, azbirdmom said:

Yes the seats are assigned and yes you can walk around to your hearts content.  There's small observation decks between the railroad cars if you want to get  some fresh air or if you want to take pictures without the glare of glass.

You have two dining choices.  You can go down to the dining room (you can make a reservation after boarding the train and they will let you know when they are ready for you).  Or you can order from a more limited menu right at your seat.  There are hosts in the car that will take your order for food and / or drinks.  It's a wonderful experience.

Thank you.  Looking forward to the experience.

• Like 2