OVATION May 13-24 *LIVE* in ALASKA w/lots of photos

On 5/9/2019 at 8:57 PM, Hoopster95 said:

Ovation2.thumb.jpg.96f9a4563812124a9aec6e95250f4b10.jpg

Hello,

Can you tell me what part of Alaska you are in, in this picture?  I'm interested in an Alaskan cruise as close to the winter time as possible, or at least a cruise where I can see glaciers, and snow-capped mountains.

Again (and again!) thank you for this thread. It's beyond helpful. We are first time cruisers and I have a question about dress codes. I understand the MDRs are smart dress and we certainly won't flaunt any dress codes, but my tween girls live in flip flops and Birkenstocks. Will it be OK for them to wear these at the WJC and around the ship? I am just figuring out what we need to buy/pack and any tips on how people dress on the Ovation Alaska cruise would be very helpful!

1 hour ago, SacCaliCruiser said:

Again (and again!) thank you for this thread. It's beyond helpful. We are first time cruisers and I have a question about dress codes. I understand the MDRs are smart dress and we certainly won't flaunt any dress codes, but my tween girls live in flip flops and Birkenstocks. Will it be OK for them to wear these at the WJC and around the ship? I am just figuring out what we need to buy/pack and any tips on how people dress on the Ovation Alaska cruise would be very helpful!

Also I'd love to ask the same question of jeans. I see a lot of people wearing them in photos. Are they acceptable for the WJC and/or the MDRs as long as they aren't ripped/dirty?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, briankeith513 said:

I'm interested in an Alaskan cruise as close to the winter time as possible, or at least a cruise where I can see glaciers, and snow-capped mountains.

You are going to get that early in the season - May. But, don't base you cruise on just that potential view, which may not be available due to crappy weather.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You are going to get that early in the season - May. But, don't base you cruise on just that potential view, which may not be available due to crappy weather.

Thanks, so I'd choose a May cruise for the best hope of seeing this.  Is there a certain itinerary/ports/location to cruise to for the possible snow-capped mountains and glaciers?

Edited by briankeith513

Just now, briankeith513 said:

Thanks, so I'd choose a May cruise.  Is there a certain itinerary/ports/location to cruise to for the possible snow-capped mountains and glaciers?

You won't have much choice as all of Ovation's 7 day sailings sailing have the same itinerary - the closest you'll get on those is Endicott/Dawes glacier. For a better chance you'd have consider Radiance and/or Serenade.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, briankeith513 said:

Thanks, so I'd choose a May cruise for the best hope of seeing this.  Is there a certain itinerary/ports/location to cruise to for the possible snow-capped mountains and glaciers?

As biker19 mentioned, May or early June will yield a different experience compared to later in the season.

In 2017 I took a cruise the first week of June Southbound from Seward to Vancouver.    In 2018 I repeated this same itinerary at the end of August.  Differences included snow capped mountains versus no snow on the same mountains and big difference in the day light or length of each day.

I compared the two cruises and illustrated it with photos of the same mountain taken from the train from Anchorage to Seward.  I still can't reference my hosting provider for images here on CC so here is a link to post that compares the two cruises.

• Like 2

I just uploaded my pictures of our pre-cruise day in Vancouver onto Smug Mug.  We only had one full day there and so we took a City Highlights Tour with LandSea Tours.  Highly recommended if you are going to cruise on the Radiance out of Vancouver.  We  are looking forward to September 2020 when we will have more time to explore this lovely city before our cruise to Hawaii on the Serenade.

https://sunnyazgirl.smugmug.com/2019-Alaska-on-Ovation-Of-The-Seas

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, johnt83 said:

Loving the post-cruise posts, keep them coming!

You're welcome.... by the way, was it you who asked about using photos and video? By all means go ahead

13 hours ago, johnt83 said:

What time do they change these? I always wondered... 🙂 I don't like seeing the last day before the cruise ends!

That was taken at 11:55pm... basically midnight

4 hours ago, briankeith513 said:

Can you tell me what part of Alaska you are in, in this picture? 

Just to be clear, unless I had an out-of-body experience and I floated out and up above Ovation by a couple thousand feet, I didn't take this photo! This is "photo-shopped", I believe Radiance has the exact same backdrop on some promo material.

This is a deceiving photo that Royal does not promote anymore I don't think... I haven;t seen it for a while anyways. It was from a RCL advertisement or promo last year promoting Ovation to Alaska for the first time. This is Hubbard Glacier... in which Ovation will no longer visit again.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SacCaliCruiser said:

We are first time cruisers and I have a question about dress codes.

Agh!!!! Open up Pandora's box, hey?? Maybe we can talk about tipping as well? 😈

Dress code is a hot topic item on these forums.

The reality bottom line answer:

You and your daughter can wear anything you want on any day you want -- pajamas, ripped & soiled shorts and shorts, baseball caps, sunglasses, the cheapest/ugliest/most tattered footwear you can find, clothing with offensive slogans and/or pictures... anything goes... right up to gowns, tuxes on the "suggested" formal night and everything in between (ie. nice smart casual clothing, dresses, shoes, slacks, so you can actually look nice going to a show or the dance event after dinner for example). However Royal will not enforce.... and yes I've seen every one of the negative  items above in the main dining at some point the last 4 years.

I feel this sailing had a slightly higher age demographic being an 11 day sailing in May (kids in school), so I also feel the respect level on board regarding clothing was perfect on this sailing.... everyone was very nice and respectful, mostly casual (ie. sweater/polo shirt/collared + jeans. I personally wore slacks/dockers and dress shoes ni the evening). I didn't see anything alarming, however I wasn't looking for it either.

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, briankeith513 said:

Not on Ovation... only Radiance of the Seas will get this Hubbard Glacier view over the next two years.

If you want a more "raw" view of Alaska and snow caps, go through my review and look at my photos... the scenery around Sitka and Icy Strait (and Wrangell for those sailing Oceania or Azamara) is to die for.

I take it you've never been to Alaska on a cruise? If so, and if you really want to see more of Alaska rather than making the vacation about the ship itself, then the radiance of the Seas itinerary is the best

• Like 2

1 hour ago, singinalot said:

Claudio, I just booked us on the Ovation for March 2021 from Sydney.  Great prices right now. Looking forward to finally getting to sail this ship.

Hey singin... That is awesome! You are going to have a major blast!

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Folks, if you've never seen a photo review by twangster, I dare you to click on the link above and show me any other CC review with photos of this calibre anywhere... and the review itself is top notch. Perhaps the best reviewer out there, check out this link and follow it for a ton of tips on a Radiance sailing that includes Ketchikan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SacCaliCruiser said:

Also I'd love to ask the same question of jeans. I see a lot of people wearing them in photos. Are they acceptable for the WJC and/or the MDRs as long as they aren't ripped/dirty?

I personally wore nice jeans and a nicer top once or twice to the MDR on casual nights.  First time ever for me on 22 cruises.  But this itinerary was just more casual overall, I felt.  I still wore a fancy black skirt and and a dressy top on formal nights.  DH wore a sports coat on formal nights and just a collared shirt on the other nights with Dockers.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Future cruisers are going to have a real dilemma over the next two years:

• Book Ovation and not "see" Alaska hardly at all?
  • Book Serenade round trip from Vancouver, miss Hubbard however get a great set of ports and the ability to stay in Vancouver pre or post cruise?
  • Or book Radiance, which does visit Hubbard & Icy Strait, and also gets you up north to Seward so that you can also book a land package into Denali? However the flight to/from Anchorage is a big negative.

100% do not book Ovation if you want to see more of Alaska, the Seattle itinerary isn't even close to the other two ships. However you get the premier ship for views/entertainment/etc ... which is why this 11-day sailing was the absolute perfect storm in my humble opinion as it combined a one of a kind itinerary with the best ship ever.

I was in all my glory the morning we arrived at the Hubbard Glacier, setting my alarm early and running around the ship like a little kid on Christmas as we arrived! The photos and video??... priceless memories! I will likely not remember my cabin number, what I ate at the Windjammer on the 3rd and 7th nights, or the name of the headliner in a week.... next month.... hell, even tomorrow!! This is why I say to anyone who has never been to Alaska you should not consider Ovation's itinerary whatsoever... instead look at Serenade or Radiance.

For years to come I will remember viewing Hubbard for the first time and looking through these photos and video.

1.JPG

Got to love the Solarium views of our approach ... cannot be beat.

And below from the bridge wing is not too shabby either!

2.JPG

Pay really close attention to the photo below... note the cruisers on deck 5 looking down at the ice bergs and specifically their size... now compare their size to the icebergs. Yep, Ovation inched her way through into the bay, "pushing" ice away from the hull as the ship displaced water in front of her.

3.JPG

Another rare photo these days... Northstar off to the side a full 90 degrees. I'd be up there shortly

10.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

RCL charged $49 for NorthStar at Hubbard (and Endicott)... I went up both times. I totally loved it. We had approximately 20 minutes up there with full 90 degree views on both starboard and port side of the ship.... MAGIC!!

13.JPG

15.JPG

14.JPG

17.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoopster95 said:

Folks, if you've never seen a photo review by twangster, I dare you to click on the link above and show me any other CC review with photos of this calibre anywhere... and the review itself is top notch. Perhaps the best reviewer out there, check out this link and follow it for a ton of tips on a Radiance sailing that includes Ketchikan

Stop.  You are making me blush...

I'm working with the help desk folks to unlock my image hosting provider, the same one I used for the Symphony TA, but until then I posted my photos elsewhere.  

Hoopster95 did a great job covering the ship and his Alaskan experiences at our ports of call on this unique and once in a lifetime itinerary.   For this reason I just focused on Alaska and my excursions in my trip report located here:

Ovation of the Seas, May 13, 2019 - Alaska 11 Nights

• Like 2

After Northstar, I got to hang out with my Arizona cruise buddies on top deck... Ginny already shared the photo of us from the Pro photographer a couple of pages ago. As is tradition for Alaskan sailings, the bar crew were up there selling hot chocolate and Bailey's... I just had to have one of those

19.JPG

And as per my tradition, I had to have a photo up here with a lifeboat preserver... this is my geek thing.

I have a photo like this on every single ship I've been on since day 1... it's a very cool collection (well, in my opinion anyways) lol

18.JPG

I had to get down to my cabin to reload my phone and camera as the charge was almost dried up. Whiel in my cabin, I obviously took a ton more photos and more video. here's a beautiful short pano of the view from cabin 7606

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

This next post is for Lloyd, and anyone else who wishes to further explore the many many unobstructed views from everywhere on this ship in Alaskan waters ... can anyone guess where I shot this video below as Capt. Hendrik fired up the azipods and we proceeded to begin our sailaway from Hubbard?

Lol! I forgot the heading of the video shows where the video is from.... whoops.

So much for the surprise. 😉  Yep, this is from inside Two70, right up at the glass windows.

DSC08698.JPG 

I spent a good 45min there, had breakfast from cafe Two70 at my favorite siting spot... the last seat at the bar closest to the window (view in the bottom photo). But really, anywhere in Two70 is gorgeous.

54.JPG 

55.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

As Ovation began departing, I wanted to be outside in the gorgeous weather enjoying the sailaway. Best outside views aft on this ship are from the back of the Windjammer outdoor seating area, as well as one deck higher on 15 (directly behind the Florider). This above descriptions of Two70 and deck 14/15 aft are also true for the morning at Endicott once departing the Glacier there as well.

90.JPG 

80.JPG

81.JPG

I thought this was a very cool photo... this is looking back into the Windjammer from the railing!

What you're seeing is the reflection of Hubbard in the glass windows. By the way, inside the WJ there is a ton of seating facing aft as well, so in inclement weather, you can still look outside in this direction

82.JPG

Good-bye Hubbard... I will see you again someday

91.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1