OVATION May 13-24 *LIVE* in ALASKA w/lots of photos

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

RCL charged $49 for NorthStar at Hubbard (and Endicott)... I went up both times. I totally loved it. We had approximately 20 minutes up there with full 90 degree views on both starboard and port side of the ship.... MAGIC!!

13.JPG

15.JPG

14.JPG

17.JPG

Just want to check where you signed up for the $49 North Star experience at the glacier? Really want to book this.

Great job on your report and certainly the terrific photos! 

It brought back memories of our own cruise to Alaska, as well as aboard Ovation just 5 months ago.

One thing I noticed throughout is that your weather was certainly colder and wetter than when we did our 2014 Alaska cruise on Radiance of the Seas...many of the same places visited as on your trip. It underscores how an Alaska cruise includes "variable weather". We were able to use light sweatshirts and sometimes no jackets at all on excursions.

You obviously had a slightly different experience. This is all helpful to any novice or first-timer considering an Alaska cruise. It is indeed a "bucket-list", "must-see", "adventure-laden" trip full of grand views and things to see firsthand. Thanks for sharing.

4 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

Just want to check where you signed up for the $49 North Star experience at the glacier? Really want to book this.

I heard it from twangster first here on this live thread... I then looked for it on my Royal IQ app right away and there it was. I never heard it announced once on board, nor pre-cruise in the cruise planner. Remember, for all future sailings this will only be available at Endicott Arm as Ovation is never seeing this Hubbard view in the future itineraries posted so far through to 2021.

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

Just now, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

It underscores how an Alaska cruise includes "variable weather". We were able to use light sweatshirts and sometimes no jackets at all on excursions.

Yep... July 2013 I was on Rhapsody top deck forward watching our sail in to Juneau. I was alone top deck... the rain was driving at a 45 degree angle and temperature close to freezing (around 35-40). I repeat.... July. I had water proof gortex rain gear on and layers of thermal clothing on that trip. 3 hours later in Juneau I was getting cold as even the gortex was being tested as I was getting a little "damp" inside the clothing.

Thankfully the weather changed for the afternoon and I dried out a bit for my whale watching tour that day, else that would've been a very rough day.

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Future cruisers are going to have a real dilemma over the next two years:

• Book Ovation and not "see" Alaska hardly at all?
  • Book Serenade round trip from Vancouver, miss Hubbard however get a great set of ports and the ability to stay in Vancouver pre or post cruise?
  • Or book Radiance, which does visit Hubbard & Icy Strait, and also gets you up north to Seward so that you can also book a land package into Denali? However the flight to/from Anchorage is a big negative.

100% do not book Ovation if you want to see more of Alaska, the Seattle itinerary isn't even close to the other two ships. 

I understand where you are coming from but have another perspective to offer.

My Alaska cruise history includes Radiance and Voyager class plus M class on Celebrity.  Two one-way Seward/Vancouver and two Seattle area based.

In many ways I think Ovation is a perfect ship for families who desire to experience Alaska for the first time or for families in general.  For anyone who has sailed Alaska but hasn't sailed Quantum class Ovation is compelling.   

Looking back over this experience there is a lot to like about Quantum class in Alaska.  

• Great indoor pool space for families
  • Great indoor Solarium for adults, one of the best in the fleet
  • North Star 
  • Two70°
  • SeaPlex
  • New ship feel, new technology, new decor
  • Great Windjammer experience (I have always liked the WJ on Quantum class)
  • Great entertainment
  • Better suite amenities including Coastal Kitchen
  • Affordable balcony options for a reasonable fare difference

On Radiance and Voyager class it's common for a balcony to be twice the price of interior.  Quantum class is mostly balconies.  The higher balcony ratio means the fare difference is often reasonable to upgrade into a balcony on Ovation.  

Juneau and Skagway are quintessential Alaska ports of call.  Both offer so much to do for Alaskan cruisers.  Ports like Sitka and Icy Strait Point are different and unique but specialty ports in their own ways.  Port intensive cruises are fine for some but can be too much for new to Alaska or families paying for more excursions at more ports for more people. 

Flying roundtrip to Seattle is easier and typically less money compared to Anchorage/Vancouver for a family living in the US.  Seattle is domestic, Vancouver is international.  For some travelers that does make a difference.  For families even more so.  

A ship like Ovation has a lot going on for those days at sea.  Flowrider!  North Star!  Two70°!  SeaPlex!

Endicott Arm is by itself pretty amazing.  While Hubbard is the largest tide-water glacier Dawes Glacier is pretty cool as well.  

For an experienced Alaskan cruiser I can understand the argument that one-way Seward itineraries offer a different experience however for those living in the US, Seattle round trips cruises are more affordable and still a great way to experience Alaska for both new and experienced Alaska cruisers.  They are just easier to plan and book for us South of the border.

For a family the experience on Ovation will be better than Radiance class.  For suite guests the Ovation experience is superior to Radiance class.  I agree that for empty nesters or a couple on their own seeking a more port intensive unique Alaska experience a one-way North/South Radiance experience should be considered.  To this end Celebrity should also considered for this type of Alaskan experience.

Seattle is also a pretty cool city to explore with lots going on.

Like a Western Caribbean cruise is different than an Eastern Caribbean cruise both have compelling reasons to book them.  

I disagree that you "hardly see Alaska at all"  on Seattle based cruises.  I can totally see myself booking another cruise to Alaska on Ovation from Seattle. 

Edited by twangster
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Yep... July 2013 I was on Rhapsody top deck forward watching our sail in to Juneau. I was alone top deck... the rain was driving at a 45 degree angle and temperature close to freezing (around 35-40). I repeat.... July. I had water proof gortex rain gear on and layers of thermal clothing on that trip. 3 hours later in Juneau I was getting cold as even the gortex was being tested as I was getting a little "damp" inside the clothing.

Thankfully the weather changed for the afternoon and I dried out a bit for my whale watching tour that day, else that would've been a very rough day.

I can certainly believe it.  In mid-May 2014 we had about 2 hours of mist in Ketchikan, and no other precipitation the rest of our cruise (lucky!). Temps on 5 days averaged in the upper 60's - low 70's...the other 2 days they were mid-60's but comfortable. Nominal winds the whole time.  

The weather in Alaska is clearly part of the "adventure".

Other than my empty venue photos & commentary earlier in the live portion of the review, I only have two photos of Izumi's food.  Izumi ended up being the big winner for specialty surprisingly on Ovation. Absolutely delicious Tuna Tataki and Octopus carpaccio, and the rolls (especially their signature Ryu Futomaki) were totally awesome. This was our last venue to share with our CC group.

If you remember from earlier, I mentioned that the venue is in a very odd place of the ship, crammed between Wonderland and the Schooner Bar on Deck 5 above the Esplanade. We ended up on a table outside of the venue, on the railing looking over the Esplanade and we all thought it was perfect! We can enjoy our dinner, and still view the ship and the happenings down below.

As far as the dining package goes, each person gets $35 towards the a la carte menu. There were 4 of us, so the waiter basically just said that we had up to $140 of value to use on the menu.... which we did in order to sample things (we were $9 over).

While I'm on topic, with my 5th night of my dining package I was extremely happy to join cruise pals Larry & Rose back in Izumi for a 2nd go round where I got to try several different things with them... all of it very good. First picture above is the Futomaki... the 3 together are the the "Chef's Signature Rolls" on the Izumi Menu: Baked Snow Crab & Eel Dynamite, Truffle Creamy Lobster Tempura and of course the Izumi Ryu Futomaki

98.JPG

99.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

For a family the experience on Ovation will be better than Radiance class.  I agree that for empty nesters or a couple on their own seeking a more port intensive unique Alaska experience a one-way North/South Radiance experience should be considered.  To this end Celebrity should also considered for this type of Alaskan experience.

I disagree that you "hardly see Alaska at all"  on Seattle based cruises.  I can totally see myself booking another cruise to Alaska on Ovation from Seattle. 

Great post twangster, especially the sentence in red. I wish to expand and say I was solo, and not being a family this ship was miles better than Radiance Class. I'll only assume that maybe lots of kids on Ovation may tend to drive the empty nester who doesn't want a lot of children on board to the smaller/easier to navigate/more traditional without the "gimmicks" (IFly/Seaplex/Florider) Serenade out of Vancouver round trip? 

And your last sentence is me to a tee... I can't see myself skipping Ovation either if I personally had the choice. This is based on me wanting the ship in combination with the ports of call. Ovation is just too good. Now if she were to go to Hubbard instead of Endicott on her Seattle itineraries that would be outstanding!

Edited by Hoopster95

2 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Now if she were to go to Hubbard instead of Endicott on her Seattle itineraries that would be outstanding!

The Bliss does Glacier Bay out of Seattle.  I flew over her on my excursion.  

Ovation into Glacier Bay - now that would be different.  

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Ovation into Glacier Bay 

If they did this, I suspect we would all say goodbye to Ovation being on the GGG flyer in my humble opinion.

By the way, I had horrible internet (or noone at all while up the glaciers for example) in Juneau as well and will be posting a few things about excursions coming up tonight or tomorrow. If you missed it, go back to page 16, post #380 and watch twangster's EPIC video of the Mt. Robert's tramway ascent ... truly one of a kind

Edited by Hoopster95

Just now, Hoopster95 said:

If they did this, I suspect we would all say goodbye to Ovation being on the GGG flyer in my humble opinion.

How about one week it goes to Dawes, the next week to Glacier Bay, alternating all summer.  That calls for a B2B.  

I got sick Friday night and Saturday morning I went out on my balcony in my down coat, got a few pictures, waited to see how we turned, saw @Hoopster95 in the Northstar on TV, then went to the doctor which was about a 2 hour adventure. He said to rest Saturday and I was good to go, that I wasn't contagious or infectious and I could be in public. I felt like crap on Sunday and didn't want to go 9 hours on the Adventure bound excursion and get stuck not feeling well with no "outs".

So Hubbard and Tracy arm are still on my bucket list along with Glacier bay.

Just now, twangster said:

How about one week it goes to Dawes, the next week to Glacier Bay, alternating all summer.  That calls for a B2B.  

Brilliant!

Week 1: Hubbard or Glacier Bay, Icy Strait, Juneau, Victoria

Week 2: Sitka, Skagway, Dawes, Ketchikan, Victoria

I'd book this b2b immediately if offered

Just now, AlanF65 said:

I felt like crap on Sunday and didn't want to go 9 hours on the Adventure bound excursion and get stuck not feeling well with no "outs".

Omg Alan... you didn't go?! Well that sucks 😑

Yes, you'll definitely have to come back.

36 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Where are you seeing GGG rates?  I'd love to jump back on Ovation. 

29 minutes ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

What is a GGG rate? 

Going, Going, Gone.  Last minute fares at reduced rates.  Used to fill a ship.  If it's selling well no GGG.

13 minutes ago, loverofthebeach said:

can anybody go to the bridge wing?  

Yes.  6am tp 6pm are the posted times unless high winds require they close them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Where are you seeing GGG rates?  I'd love to jump back on Ovation. 

My apologies twangster... nothing on GGG at this time.  I'm just assuming and looking ahead. I wouldn't be surprised.

41 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Did this sailing travel through the inside passage outbound and inbound? 

The Alaskan inside passage yes... that's the only way to get into Juneau, Skagway and Endicott Arm.

The BC inside passage... no. Ovation cannot fit due to size and height per Capt Hendrick (confirmed at Captain's Corner), therefore Ovation will always sail the open Pacific Ocean to the west of Vancouver Island both north and southbound

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

The Alaskan inside passage yes... that's the only way to get into Juneau, Skagway and Endicott Arm.

The BC inside passage... no. Ovation cannot fit due to size and height per Capt Hendrick (confirmed at Captain's Corner), therefore Ovation will always sail the open Pacific Ocean to the west of Vancouver Island both north and southbound

No surprise from Seattle.  Explorer took the same route out to sea and up the coast off Vancouver island.  

The BC Inside Passage is nice but not all that.  Gotta go slow and cut times in ports or go out to sea and make steam for longer times in ports.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

I'll try not to double up on anything when I posted on Juneau... I didn't post much as I was out an about from 7:30am until approximately 8pm that night, and out of internet range (glaciers, etc) for most of that time. The time I was in town going up Mt. Roberts and waiting for Coastal Helicopters pick-up I had posted those few pics earlier in the live.

Also I wish to mention that I made a real error on this day that could've cost me big time that I wish to share... i totally predicted it and yet I walked right into it... oh the joys of 5 ships in port. I'll explain later in a couple of posts from now.

In the meantime I had woke in time to enjoy sail-in as I had a very early excursion to prepare for this morning. 

IMG_3715.JPG 
In the WJ for breakfast, I noticed a promo I had never seen before... look closely. 

3 "dining experience"... note it's not only Specialty Dining. It includes the Bottom Galley Brunch as well as the Izumi Sushi Making Class.... mix & match. I think this is a great option.

IMG_3728.JPG 

Great view of Ovation's first time moored in Juneau once walking off the ship

IMG_3907.JPG 

IMG_3736.JPG 

IMG_3737.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

My morning excursion was booked with Alaska Shore Tours, as it seemed to be the only company with the few permits that allowed for kayaking right up to the Glacier. I remember 7 years ago standing at the Mendenhall Visitor Center about 3 miles away from the Glacier looking at the little dots moving way out at the face of the glacier, and said to myself one day that will be me.... this was that day.

Be careful when booking... other private re-sellers, as well as the cruiselines, offer a "Kayak Tour" but it does not go right up to the glacier... it just hangs around the head of the lake (see the first photo below) for a much shorter time frame. This "normal" excursion I believe was $109 or $119... the kayak right up to the glacier was $209.

IMG_3774.JPG

See the Visitor center way off in the distance? It's hard to imagine that 100 years ago the Mendenhall glacier reached that point

IMG_3780.JPG

And the moment I had been waiting for... awesome!

IMG_3858.JPG

Note this close up of Nugget Falls, and truly how awesome it really is. Note the spec-sized humans on the beach

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

The tour company dropped us off just before noon right at the pier, so I had plenty of time to have a quick bite to eat and head up Mt. Roberts for a bit before my 3pm Helicopter + Dog Sled Tour... or did I have time? I had been thinking about this before arriving to Juneau as I knew there would 5 ships in port. 

You tell me.... what are the chances cruisers from 5 ships (say 15,000 people) all go kayaking, or all stay within 2 blocks of the ship and go up the tram? Right... 😑

So fully assuming I probably wouldn't go up do to line-ups, I made my way into the Ticket Center, and amazingly no one was in there! I went up to the ticket booth and the young kid said I should be "just fine" getting down before 3 pm. Hmmmm... spidey senses tingling, I still bought the $35 ticket

IMG_3743.JPG 

IMG_3911.JPG 

First thing that came to mind was... is it truly possible that all people on the ships have all gone up at the same time in massive lines that there is no one left below? That means there's 5 ships of people all herding together like cows up top trying to get down all at once as well. Nonetheless, up I went.

When I got up top, I was mortified! The line stretch for an estimated 1.5 hours out the visitor center and all the way outside to the Eagle enclosure. I quickly walked back to the head of the line and was extremely lucky to speak to a manager up there. I told her my sob story that I made a mistake, and to show my sincerity I would go down right now if she let me. She asked me to produce my helipcopter tour ticket which I did.

IMG_3922.JPG

I was very lucky... Michelle was beyond awesome and understanding. She said to enjoy myself for an hour and come back around 2:30pm and she'd let me back on. I was beyond grateful, but still nervous as heck about staying up there. I did enjoy a short walk up the hill to the view points

IMG_3928.JPG 

and through the Douglas fir forest

IMG_3939.JPG

I went back to the head of the line a little bit earlier than 2:30pm as I just didn't want to make a mistake, and grabbed the first  tram down. I wish to sincerely thank the staff up there as they definitely did not have to do that, instead they recognized I had a real problem. They also recognized I was alone vs. a large group or family (Michelle asked me right away) so that also helped, and it was extremely easy to blend in.

IMG_3961.JPG

Lesson learned... 5 ships in town? Be aware

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1