OVATION May 13-24 *LIVE* in ALASKA w/lots of photos

Whew!!! Disaster averted, I was downtown at the meeting point 20 minutes early. The library is right there so I ran in the plug in my iphone for a while as battery was getting a bit low. As promised, right at 3pm, the Coastal Helicopter rep showed up to whisk us away to the Airport.

I had been waiting for this excursion for a very long time as well. I had booked it in 2015, however weather prevented the helicopters from reaching the camp. Today would be no problem. It did start raining as the helicopter took off, however, by the time we reached the dog camp, the rain had stopped... timing couldn't have been more spectacular for me

IMG_4013.JPG 

IMG_4016.JPG 

It was surreal arriving to the camp... a few hundred dogs, tents/housing, equipment... an unreal set up in the most beautiful setting ever. These photos and video do not do this justice at all.

Think about this... they have to keep the glacier 100% clean as if no one has ever been up there. That means absolutely no garbage.... or feces. All dog poop has to constantly be cleaned and they helicopter it out daily.

IMG_4054.JPG 

Fun? Understatement of the year! A memory that will last me a lifetime.

IMG_4057.JPG  

And of course at the end we got to spend about 15 minutes with the handlers and the dogs...

Superb experience. If you are mobile enough to do this, I can only recommend that everyone give this some serious consideration regardless of the the very high price tag. 

IMG_4068.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

And the excursion was not over yet! So flashback again to 2015 when my dog sled excursion was cancelled, the helicopters were in fact able to get half way up the glacier for a glacier hike, so we did that instead... it was incredible in itself. However, for approximately $100 more (vs. the full price approx. $300), you can add it on to the dog sled portion to make a much longer and more fulfilling experience.

Flying over the jagged crevasses and bright blue ice is another major highlight. We had about 15 of flight time to another glacier spot before landing to take a walk on the glacier

1.JPG 

Size is deceiving in these photos... some of those boulders are the size of trucks, and precariously perched on melting ice. Again, the photos here do not do this justice... the scenery is unbelievable.

2.JPG 

Our guide said they have no problem taking home any rocks you wish from the Glacier for souvenirs, and there's many beauties up there of various striations, colors, etc... scraped and rubbed against for thousands of years.

4.JPG 

This may be a better photo to judge size... note the crevasse to the left of the helicopter. The chopper could fit in it. There's also underground streams running everywhere as the ice is melting, and we can both hear and see various streams rushing to a mini-waterfall of sorts within the ice and dropping 10-20 feet below into a rushing river. Pretty scary to think that entire glacier is perhaps sitting on a massive moving river bed!

5.JPG 

What a great day. 

6.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

Needless to say that after an action packed day, I was pretty beat. Tonight was a simple and casual dinner up at WJ, and then the Disco Inferno party had an early start this evening (smart) at 9:15pm in Two70. It was great. I posted a photo earlier of the event, however I'm adding these two photos to again show the outstanding outward view from Two70... and the clarity of the view.

Docked behind Ovation was the Grand Princess.

IMG_4109.JPG 

IMG_4110.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

You're welcome.... by the way, was it you who asked about using photos and video? By all means go ahead

That was taken at 11:55pm... basically midnight

Just to be clear, unless I had an out-of-body experience and I floated out and up above Ovation by a couple thousand feet, I didn't take this photo! This is "photo-shopped", I believe Radiance has the exact same backdrop on some promo material.

This is a deceiving photo that Royal does not promote anymore I don't think... I haven;t seen it for a while anyways. It was from a RCL advertisement or promo last year promoting Ovation to Alaska for the first time. This is Hubbard Glacier... in which Ovation will no longer visit again.

It was me 🙂 Thanks! The Ovation of the Seas group on Facebook now has that pic... not sure if you're a part of it or on Facebook but thanks for letting the group admin borrow it!

@Hoopster95 We are seriously considering the helicopter to the glacier dog sled and additional stop for next year with this company.  Thanks for the photos and commentary, and I sincerely thank you for this thread.  We are sailing on Ovation, mainly due to bringing two elderly relatives that have mobility issues.  Viewing from Ovation will be perfect for them. 

Hubby and I the ones that would do the helicopter tour.  Questions:  do you recommend packing any particular clothing for this tour, or does the tour company provide all outer clothing and shoes?  Do they use crampons for the glacier walk?  My only concern is that I'm clumsy at times, and if anyone will fall, it will be me.  lol 

Thank you! :classic_smile:

Did anyone catch the total passenger count on this sailing?

I have the C&A numbers, just missing the total count.

Pinnacle 84, Diamond Plus 386, Diamond  598, Emerald  284, Platinum 476, Gold  999.    Total 2,827 C&A members on board.  

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 1:19 AM, Hoopster95 said:

And tonight’s view from my “obstructed” balcony.... or is it?

Ok... I guess it is 😉

Not too shabby unless you roll your eyes down a little bit. 

We sailed in cabin 7612 the cruise before you.  For all the complaining - I loved the balcony view.  There was plenty of ocean to see with my eyes forward rather than down.  Glad to see you've found a way around the "obstructions."  🙂 

• Like 1

Claudio, GREAT review! I have been reading it every day - it’s my “go-to” first thing in the morning!

Awesome photos - great tips. Mike and I are doing a B2B on the Radiance in June 2020, and these tips are awesome...especially the almost-disaster at the top of the Tram. I might have tried to squeeze too much in that day, and didn’t think about monstrous lines trying to get back down...of course, I don’t know yet how many ships will be in port that day, so I will keep checking. 🙂

You’ve *almost* got me convinced to sail on Ovation - usually I try to steer clear of the larger ships, but that ship looks pretty darned amazing! 🙂

3 hours ago, barbeyg said:

We are seriously considering the helicopter to the glacier dog sled and additional stop for next year with this company. Questions:  do you recommend packing any particular clothing for this tour, or does the tour company provide all outer clothing and shoes?  Do they use crampons for the glacier walk? 

Here's the building where they gather everyone for the safety video, etc.... Note top right they have several clothing hangers with many rain jackets, and they do provide crampons (mandatory). 

As far as warmth/amount of clothing, that's a crap shoot. You'll have to be prepared either way. 

I brought my own clothing that I know fits and works (rain gear). So for the glacier trip I had thermal underwear and a full protected shell pant, waterproof footwear I use for hiking, the jacket was also water proof with a fleece insert... I was too warm.

If it rains and you;re not prepared, that has too be a real bummer to be cold and wet up there. Having said that, the wind came up for about 10 min near the end of the day and it was very cold up there. Dress in layers.

IMG_3967.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Did anyone catch the total passenger count on this sailing?

I have the C&A numbers, just missing the total count.

Pinnacle 84, Diamond Plus 386, Diamond  598, Emerald  284, Platinum 476, Gold  999.    Total 2,827 C&A members on board.  

Sorry twangster, I have no clue as well... didn't catch that number

2 hours ago, KansCocoa said:

You’ve *almost* got me convinced to sail on Ovation - usually I try to steer clear of the larger ships, but that ship looks pretty darned amazing! 🙂

Yikes!! ... *almost*... lol 😉

Ovation and Radiance embark same day so there's no way for you to do Ovation 1 week and Radiance the other.

And the other consideration is that you scored that corner aft for both legs.

I think if there's anyone out there wishing to do a b2b in Alaska in the coming year(s), I think a great idea would be:

• Friday-Friday Ovation sailing
  • come up to Vancouver for 2 nights to enjoy our outstanding city
  • then do the 7 day round trip Sunday-Sunday on Serenade....

Best of all worlds over those 2 weeks. The only thing you'd miss is Hubbard as both Serenade and Ovation would go into Endicott Arm. Still would be super cool to experience the sailings from 2 different ships. 

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

I already had decent amount of coverage on my Skagway day with land wifi so I won't add a whole lot more here... plus twangster's review on walking around the port itself and through the city is outstanding. I'll concentrate on my day outing...

The last two times I was here I did a private bus up trip up to Carcross & the museum (great trip) and another time the ferry to Haines and kayak to Davidson Glacier (another great trip). This time I wanted something different, and opted for the White Pass train that almost everyone who's been to Skagway has done... except me. I also saw an actual sale offered by RCL (--- GASP!---) on the cruise planner for a couple of the White Pass Train options that were actually less expensive through the cruise planner than on-line privately, so i went ahead and booked the Yukon Suspension Bridge + White Pass Train combo.

First of all, we arrived in Skagway to yet again another outstanding and beautiful morning, for Ovation's first ever visit to Skagway.

IMG_4127.JPG 

IMG_4365.JPG 

It's interesting to stop and read all the ships emblems in some sort of historical fashion up on the rock face right beside the ship. I didn't see any relatively new ones there at all so I assume this process had been abandoned some time ago. 

DSC08872.JPG 

We were herded into a coach as our group would bus up the White Pass first to the Yukon Suspension bridge, and then train back down to Skagway. The bus ride is... well..... a bus ride. Nothing too eventful. We had one photo stop mid pass to take a break and photos of the sawtooth mountains. We then continued directly up to and past the Canada Border, the Tormented Valley and about another 10 minutes past the Fraser Train Station. 

The views of the Tormented Valley were spectacular. This is what you see from inside the bus through glass... I could just imagine the treat we are going to have on the train coming back

IMG_4154.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

Our stop at the Yukon Suspension Bridge was for about an hour and pretty nice. I already had a post on this during the live so I'll make this very short....  This site is not a must-see/must-do, however it added something different that I was not aware of. In hindsite, and especially with the incredibly awesome weather, I probably would've opted for the train/bike option. Nonetheless, pretty stop. The site is well managed with several walk ways/interpretive displays/etc. Definitely don't need more than an hour there unless you're planning for lunch or picnic. Once in a while, rafters come through the river as well which unfortunately we did not see.

IMG_4161.JPG

IMG_4182.JPG

IMG_4190.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

The real purpose of this excursion was, of course, the White Pass train itself. We were delayed over 1/2 hour at the suspension bridge as the trains were all behind schedule this morning... soon enough we were on our way back to the Fraser train Station to board. I spent all of except the first couple of minutes standing at the end of the car outside as I did not want to be behind glass. I loved this ride, just perfect for how busy I had been up to this point to chill out and just enjoy the scenery....

and oh what scenery!

IMG_4242.JPG

Just completed for this season, The White Pass train now has a loop. So for those you who book round trip, you don't get up and switch seats with the people across the aisle from you for the return trip anymore as the train automatically continues around and comes back down the Pass.

Here below we had to stop our train to allow the other to enter the loop and make it's way down in front of us.

IMG_4001.JPG

Crossing the border from Yukon, Canada to the USA

IMG_4261.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

The incredible scenery continued. I immediately noted we were coming up to what looked like cut-out sections (dynamite?) of the landscape to allow for the trains to go through. I also noticed a tunnel coming up... I got my camera ready. I missed the hero shot exiting the tunnel, however I was able to quickly back pedal. Immediately upon exiting the tunnel you get to the famous trestle bridge. It's amazing to think the first train traveled on this line in 1899.

This is an excellent Mile-marker with descriptions and history for anyone wanting to research what you are actually seeing as you travel this route

http://www.wpyrmediakit.com/mediakit/milepostguide.html

From the link above:

Before the railroad could reach the Summit, the builders faced a monumental challenge: a yawning chasm over 1,000 feet wide and hundreds of feet deep. Their temporary solution was to build a grade along both sides of the canyon and install a turntable to simply turn the engines around. After the railroad was completed, they finally had enough money and time to find the solution: a steel cantilever bridge. This marvel of engineering was the highest bridge of its kind in North America when it was built. Used from 1901 until it was given a well-deserved retirement in 1969, it is one of the reasons that the White Pass Railroad was named an International Civil Engineering Historic Landmark in 1994, and is one of the most photographed scenes on our route. As we pass by, you can see that we wouldn’t want to be traveling across it today! In 1969, new tracks were laid in part of the old switchback grade, and a very long tunnel was blasted out of solid rock. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

Dead Horse Gulch with Sawtooth Mountains in the distance

3.JPG

Sawtooth Mountains up close as we continue to descend down to Skagway

4.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

We returned to the ship at about 2pm. I had lunch and decided to head back out to town. Originally I had thought I would follow twangsters footsteps with a city tour out to the cemetery as well as Lower Dewey lake, however I was tired... and I realized I had not purchased any gifts for anyone, so I headed for the shops on Broadway Street.

Although all aboard was not until 7:30pm, I was back on board early at 4:30pm... I was pretty much done with being out. However I wasn't done with having fun ... look at that, perfect crossovers 😀

Fyi elbow & knee pads & helmet all mandatory... they will not give you skates until you put those on

IMG_3116.JPG

After a casual dinner up at the WJ and enjoy the great views (I believe I was also adding photos to this review at the time lol) I went outside to capture the incredible scenery leaving Skagway

We had a great headliner this evening (top-notch and super funny ventriloquist). I contemplated heading off to bed for the night very early, however walked around the ship for a while to see what events were taking place. In the Music Hall the game show "Liar's Club" had begun and I watched it for a while. I wasn't totally into it, so I walked back to Two70 to see how the "virtual concert" looked up the screens. 

IMG_4398.JPG

IMG_4399.JPG

Neither had me wanting to stay up late into the evening... it was here that I turned around and headed to my cabin for a well deserved sleep.

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

This section about Endicott Arm should interest the majority still following along as the Arm and Dawes Glacier will be visited weekly by Ovation. To be clear, many of thought we were misled somewhat, as we all thought we'd have at least a couple of hours to view the glacier as we had at Hubbard. Instead, Our glacier viewing lasted about 1 hour total, and at the closest point to the glacier a quick 1/2 turn and immediately leave. It was a disappointment to many. Having said that, the actual transit through the Arm is awesome and part of the magic in actually getting to the face of the Dawes glacier.....

And it is not an automatic for sure thing.... On one of my Rhapsody cruises, we were forced to stop short due to the amount of ice. We did not get to see the glacier at all, not even from a distance. I suspect this could easily happen to Ovation as well, especially with the size of the ice and the extremely slow speed we traveled within the Arm.

Early morning within Endicott Arm, NorthStar being prepared for her daily chores

1.JPG

Dawes Glacier not quite in site yet. We have yet to navigate past some very large ice flows and get around that bend way off in the distance below

2.JPG

And just how big are these ice flows? Look at the staff on the bow of the ship in comparison. The size is very very deceiving as you sail by.

3.JPG

And it's not just one! Capt Hendrik crawled through this section of Endicott Arm, felt like we weren't even moving at times

4.JPG

There was a point where we passed a good amount of ice flow and actually gained speed just a bit. Here's a short panoramic video with the scenery within the Arm... snow caps, waterfalls, just beautiful

One more video which really hits home the size of the ice... compare this one floating by to Ovation's lifeboats. This one is almost the size of two lifeboats

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

And the excursion was not over yet! So flashback again to 2015 when my dog sled excursion was cancelled, the helicopters were in fact able to get half way up the glacier for a glacier hike, so we did that instead... it was incredible in itself. However, for approximately $100 more (vs. the full price approx. $300), you can add it on to the dog sled portion to make a much longer and more fulfilling experience.

Flying over the jagged crevasses and bright blue ice is another major highlight. We had about 15 of flight time to another glacier spot before landing to take a walk on the glacier

1.JPG 

Size is deceiving in these photos... some of those boulders are the size of trucks, and precariously perched on melting ice. Again, the photos here do not do this justice... the scenery is unbelievable.

2.JPG 

Our guide said they have no problem taking home any rocks you wish from the Glacier for souvenirs, and there's many beauties up there of various striations, colors, etc... scraped and rubbed against for thousands of years.

4.JPG 

This may be a better photo to judge size... note the crevasse to the left of the helicopter. The chopper could fit in it. There's also underground streams running everywhere as the ice is melting, and we can both hear and see various streams rushing to a mini-waterfall of sorts within the ice and dropping 10-20 feet below into a rushing river. Pretty scary to think that entire glacier is perhaps sitting on a massive moving river bed!

5.JPG 

What a great day. 

6.JPG

Just wondered are there restrooms available up there, I suppose there would  have to be for the people that stay up there with the dogs 24/7. What are conditions like up there for the dog handlers?

Edited by Jimbo

8 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Just wondered are there restrooms available up there, I suppose there would  have to be for the people that stay up there with the dogs 24/7. What are conditions like up there for the dog handlers?

Porta-potties for humans. The handlers say they absolutely loved it up there, experience of a lifetime. No cell or internet.

Later this summer the 10 feet of snow on top of the glacier ice which we were standing on will melt down... once it reaches 3 feet, it gets too mushy/difficult for the dogs so they move the entire camp up and over to the base of neighboring mountain! I wish I had asked how many humans total are up there... I am only guessing around 20-30 from what I can remember and determine with regard to the amount of tents.

Edited by Hoopster95

Finally we turned the final corner of the Arm, and there of in the distance was Dawes Glacier as we continued to crawl forward ever so slowly. Again, part of the charm of getting to Dawes is the actual transit through Endicott Arm... just beautiful

And for those of you who wish to stay warm and dry, here's the view from inside the Solarium... this place will be packed on those sailings where the weather is bad

DSC08897.JPG

Note that a great place to take clear unobstructed photos is through the sliding side panels within the Solarium. The windows slide open i n various spots

DSC08928.JPG

DSC08918.JPG

And with this final video, you will see our closest spot that Ovation attained to Dawes, as she spun clockwise from left to right... this was it. Once she spun around facing back down Endicott Arm, she slowly pushed off and away form the glacier. If you were absolutely adamant to sit in your pajamas in your starboard side balcony expecting Ovation to turn right around to your side... too bad so sad!

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

Thankfully earlier in the morning I had quickly estimated that my 9:20am time slot booking for NorthStar would be no where close to when we were actually at the glacier. I quickly checked on Royal IQ, and there were still openings later in the morning. I estimated either 10am or 10:20am... and I opted for the 10:20am. Very easy to cancel and re-book using the app.

In essence, the 10am slot would have had me going up NorthStar right when we were the closest. Even though within those 20 minutes we had already pulled away from Dawes quite a ways, thankfully we were still afforded some incredible one-of-a-kind views and an experience I will never forget

IMG_4508.JPG

IMG_4524.JPG

IMG_4529.JPG

By the time our 20 minutes was done, you can see here we were already a good distance away from Dawes already.

IMG_4542.JPG

And as we exited from NorthStar, you can see below we had started turning the corner with the Glacier slowly disappearing from site. Those who were about to get on NorthStar immediately after me did not get a view of the glacier at all

IMG_4564.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

The rest of the day was doing ship "stuff" before dinner and simply enjoying the views of the Alaskan inside passage as the evening progressed. I'm pretty sure those are the peaks on Baranoff Island just before we get out to the open Pacific Ocean.

The evening included a top tier party. The backdrop of Two70 was extremely cool with depiction of all current vessels in the fleet. Capt Hendrik had his moment as did the LA for the standard sales pitch to book a future cruise

IMG_4638.JPG

IMG_4640.JPG

And tonight's big event was "Dancing with the Stripes"... normally not a RCL planned activity, and borrowed form Celebrity. I've put my name for this before but never got chosen. 15 minutes prior to the show, they ask for male and female volunteers to put there name in a hat. I estimate at least 20 of each put their names in.... mine was chosen, and I was paird with Julia from Guest Services.

What a hoot! Started out calmly enough with a Waltz, but then got a little crazier and crazier as it went along .... RiverDance, BellyDancing (yes, I unbuttoned my shirt), Tango, Bollywood ... the finale was "Dirty Dancing" of Patrick Swayze fame. Turned out to be a total blast! Lots of fun, a great replacement for The Quest for those wishing to be entertained with this type of event. Kudos to CD Chris Davis and the staff for doing this event whereas Quest would be very difficult and not as enjoyable I don't think in this venue (or in Seaplex)

IMG_4646.JPG

IMG_4665.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1