Food on Queen Mary 2

lovetotraveltx

we usually........heck all the time.....return with a few extra pounds on us and several food withdrawls [bacon,chocolate] ......and source of it is kings court for me. I have no pictures....i ate it before it could be captured on film ...only once did my wife catch my full plateS at breakfast....it was epic photo .The food is non stop,you can eat healthy or not ,my dessert mousse "hunts" are legendary 

• Like 1

Britannia Restaurant is just an impressive place and we never miss dinner there, often have breakfast and lunch.

If you like lobster, at lobster night, you can have unlimited amounts of lobster at the buffet, if you are too shy asking for more in Britannia ( and they will happily give you more there if you ask).

Make sure to pay Golden Lion a lunch visit (food is included in your fare), our favorites are the steak&mushroom pie and of course fish&chips.

Buffet often has midnight buffets, sometimes with masses of chocolate in all variants, check your daily programme.

As for room service, you must try the Shrimp Curry, not to be missed out.

The Hamburgers where not bad, too

Enjoy your time on „our“ ship!

Edited by Yoshikitty

5 hours ago, lovetotraveltx said:

Tell me about the food on the QM2. My husband and I are foodies. Britannia Restaurant, Room Service... Any pictures? Thank you!

We are foodies who look for verity, quality and taste.

We found none of these on QM2 queens  grill where it was was boring and tasteless kind of ordinary steak house food.

Try Oceania and Cristal for really good interesting food, Viking also much better.

The Cunard lovers will disagree 😸Y

Edited by orchestrapal

Like your signature, newjoisey!

as for Oceania and Crystal: prices are more than double compared to Cunard and how anyone can find QG boring and tasteless is beyond me.

Edited by Yoshikitty
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Yoshikitty said:

Like your signature, newjoisey!

as for Oceania and Crystal: prices are more than double compared to Cunard and how anyone can find QG boring and tasteless is beyond me.

Some folks seem to enjoy running Cunard down. I have just booked my 18th voyage on them and have enjoyed them all immensely.  

Edited by Bigmike911
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Some folks seem to enjoy running Cunard down.

Absolutely true.   However, I've never met one of them while on-board the ship.   

Edited by BobBranst
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2019 at 6:53 PM, BobBranst said:

I can't agree with that.  I've sailed QV 3 times and had such people as tablemates on 2 of them.

As to the food, I tend to reject the idea that one line is better than another.  Food is subjective and one person's taste will not reflect another's.  I also find that there are other things one line does better than another and I tend to order more of the things I especially enjoy on the line I am on.  My most frequent lines are Crystal, Holland America, Cunard, and Royal Caribbean, and each has some real strengths to me.  

My advise is to try Cunard, perhaps starting with the highest category you are comfortable paying for, as each additional step up in your restaurant adds a few extra choices.  Do note Britannia menus and if their choices work for you that might be best for your second cruise.

Two additional thoughts.  Britannia dining is set dining times, generally 6 and 8:30.  If fixed dining does not work for you, you will need to move up to at least Britannia Club.

Finally, do not miss afternoon tea on Cunard.

Roy

• Like 3

LovetotravelTX,

My wife and I are foodies as well. We grew up in New Orleans and live for good food. We both think the food on the QM2 is excellent. However, rafinmd (above) is absolutely correct, it is a very subjective thing. Also, because of our New Orleans and Cajun backgrounds, we focus a lot on seafood which we think Cunard does very well. Maybe I got hooked on their seafood when on the first night of our first crossing I was served some of the best seared scallops i have ever had. I just raved about them to the waiter. The next night I ordered the broiled Sea Bass stuffed with crab meat. When the dish came out there were 4 seared scallops added to the plate. The waiter thought I might enjoy them. He was right. One of my favorite dishes is the pastry wrapped salmon. Perhaps the best piece of salmon I have ever had.

IMG_2281.thumb.JPG.b8208de713adae76dfba6496d9af1492.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:
On 5/10/2019 at 5:53 PM, BobBranst said:

I can't agree with that.  I've sailed QV 3 times and had such people as tablemates on 2 of them.

Sorry to hear that.  We have not been on the QV, so I can't compare experieces there.   Most of our Cunard  experience has been on QM2 crossings and WC  segments plus one Panama cruise on the QE.   Maybe we have just been lucky,  but life is too short to let a negative person spoil your sailing experience.   I would have asked to be moved to another table.

We had an amazing dinner in the Golden Lion. I had the Tikka Masala and bread pudding. We gave up lunches to enjoy tea in the Queens Room. The scones are some of the best I’ve ever eaten in my 50+ years (and since I’ve made my own for decades that’s saying something...) They were so good I searched for (and found) a copycat recipe online. They are close, but still no match. The first three pics are from the Queen Mary 2. The last is my humble attempt to replicate “tea”. Yes, those are homemade jam, clotted cream, and copycat Cunard scones.

3BFA6107-E622-4B92-8E11-2984F2C9F390.jpeg

C4EB529F-FC7E-4FCB-B91A-C372743BFA20.jpeg

AE035FCC-21FE-4FA8-BAE9-2053FE98922A.jpeg

77968D3A-BF94-41C8-B5C3-B2EE142DEB29.jpeg

• Like 2

You're killing me, Tonopah! Our round trip crossing isn't until December!

you know, we are restaurant reviewers for our local newspaper and its associated websites, and we don't care whether the food is the best we've ever had as long as it's good and we neither have to photograph it nor write about it the next day.

we intend to be EASILY made happy.

Thank you everyone. You have been very helpful.

Are there 2 afternoon teas? Quick in the buffet area and a sit-down one as well? Have any of you chose to get a drink package or the wine package? If not, how much does a cocktail cost or a moderate glass of wine?

43 minutes ago, lovetotraveltx said:

Thank you everyone. You have been very helpful.

Are there 2 afternoon teas? Quick in the buffet area and a sit-down one as well? Have any of you chose to get a drink package or the wine package? If not, how much does a cocktail cost or a moderate glass of wine?

There are 3 afternoon teas I know of - the main one in the Queen's room, the buffet option, and there is also an option in the Grills for eligible passengers.

Most cocktails cost between $9-$15 plus service - there are menus here:

https://ask.completecruisesolution.com/help/ext/cunard/life-on-board/drink_cost

Large glasses of wine (250ml) between $11-$20ish plus service charge

There is an 'unlimited' drinks package, but at $69 per day per person you would need to drink a lot for it to be worthwhile:

https://carnivaluk.metafaq.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/WoD_Flyer_All_Options.pdf

Edited by Se1lad

I can safely say I didn’t have a single bad or even mediocre meal onboard QM2. All the food was lovely & the meals, especially desserts, in the main dining room were scrummy! The only niggle I have, & its not unique to Cunard its been the same on every ship I have been on, is the complimentary coffee is always average at best. The service was also fantastic. Wish I was onboard right now 🍰🍨🍮

• Like 2

Found a couple of my food pictures, the 1st is of the desserts in the buffet & the 2nd is of the fish & chips in the Golden Lion. The pub lunches are delicious but you need to get in there either early or near the end of the serving time to get a table.564120FF-9B25-4E1F-BD35-717E083324E8.thumb.jpeg.50579f5374b5d5f019fd745a2b0c32e1.jpegBDA4A699-42B7-426E-A13F-15DE9DC66CA1.thumb.jpeg.2306efd90964d26bcda0314649b1a427.jpeg

Looking forward to the food on QM2, but I can say that the worst meal I have ever had was on Oceania. Steak...how can a first class kitchen make a steak into something so tough that it could not be cut. The desserts were fabulous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dear lovetotraveltx,

QM2 is the only Kenalized Ship..an Ocean liner. Your not penalised! The Kennelmaster is wonderful and his knowledge is vast.

The German born Executive Chef is the very best!

BTW you do have to have two kennels for your cat, one for it or with a another and one for the poop scoops.

The Chef aforementioned does make specail gourmet meals and treats for the Kennelized pets.. BTW traveling pets cost a lot less than a Airplane ticket..

Tea served is an event each day nobody should miss. A social event .

Why on other lines do we have to be charged extra for a nice-cup-a tea and Earl Grey?