Behind the fun tour

vbscoot

I have read on the Carnival website that you can only sign up for the behind the fun ship tour once you get on the ship.  Has anyone had a different experience as far as signing up goes? Any tips to avoid that long line on embarkation day  get a spot on the tour?  Do you go to the the excursion desk or guest services?

It cannot be booked ahead of time. Sign up is on a first come, first serve basis starting on embarkation day. You sign up at the excursion desk. The only tip is if you don’t have priority embarkation already, then purchasing FTTF is a good idea if you don’t want to risk it being sold out when you board. 

Edited by bakersdozen12

I don't think it sells out that fast usually. In my experience, they always mention it at the Fun Ashore Fun aboard show on the second day. Just get there when you board and it shouldn't be a problem. You can book either at shore excursions or guest services if shore excursions desk is closed 

The only time I booked the BTFT was when I had FTTF. There were no lines at the excusion desk, yet there were only three spots left for the second tour.

So, I suggest you make a bee line to the excursion desk to sign up. (And YES, it was worth it!)

My wife and I booked it the first day on the Horizon. We did this first thing when we got on at the excursion desk. We got the last 4 tickets for us and our kids. We loved it and didn't think it was overrated or overpriced, but to each their own. You get a lanyard, hat, picture with the Captain, bracelet, little backpack bag, etc. Ours took about 3 1/2 hrs and we thought it was worth it. Maybe the Horizon does it differently or better, but it's worth checking out IMO. 

• Like 4

I'm pretty sure you can book this through the Hub app.  So book it as soon as you get on the ship.  Like a previous poster said, there is not much of a line at shore excursions on embarkation day.  We booked in Feb on the Dream and there was no one else in line.

10 hours ago, Tampa Bay Irish said:

Grossly overpriced and overrated. This is the kind of thing that Carnival should offer for free to new “platinums” as a thank you.

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

IMHO, while it isn't cheap, it is well worth it.  I won't do it every cruise, but I could see doing it every now and then, especially if on a new-to-me class of ship.  Like the Mardi Gras...

54 minutes ago, Davey Wavey said:

We were on a B2B and went to excursions on the second leg before boarding had begun, and we got the last 2 spots. Must be some way to get it early. We felt it was really interesting and worth the price.

Weird.  Because they make such a big deal out of not being able to sign up until on board.  Maybe certain TAs (or all TAs) can get folks signed up ahead of time?

We signed up for this when we first boarded last cruise (Sunshine, Dec 2018).  We were the second or third couple to sign up, IIRC, and there ended up being two tours of 16 people each.  We could have probably waited until the next day, but hey, the line up wasn't that bad.  Though the staff were a little confused - we went to the shore excursion desk (quick line up), as Carnival's website says to do, but we were redirected to Guest Services to sign up there instead (no line up).

We did it years ago on the Splendor in 2009.  At that time it was one of Carnivals bigger ships.  We enjoyed it.  It was not cheap...if I remember correctly about $95.00 each.  It was cool to see parts of the ship you would never see otherwise.  Our group was about 12 or 14 or so.  We signed up for it once we were on the ship.

Edited by nissach
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

Does anyone have any photos of the tour or the items they give you? 

Also, how much is it? I've seen a range of $55-95 per person. Is it different depending on the ship?

Don't do it for the gifts, do it for the experience. We weren't allowed to take pictures on the tour. I would say it is worth the price but not really something worth repeating as it would be pretty much the same. For me, it was a nice sea day activity after going on many cruises in a short time frame where the sea day activities were repetitive.

1 hour ago, Bollycats said:

Also, how much is it? I've seen a range of $55-95 per person. Is it different depending on the ship?

you must leave your phones and cameras in your cabin or they will be surrendered and returned after the tour is over

1 hour ago, Bollycats said:

No cameras allowed on the BTFT. Price depends on the length of the cruise and newness of ship.

They have a photographer with the tour. We got a group picture from the very front of the ship. A group picture with the Capt, and individual pictures with the Capt. All included in the price. Also got a backpack, hat, lanyard, carved soap, several chocolate covered strawberries, the recipe for melting chocolate cake,  some snacks and drinks along the way, and a mimosa. Last week on Glory it was $95 per person and I felt it was worth it.

• Like 1

I've done this tour twice on two different ships. Loved it both times! So interesting! And lots of freebies? We still use our lanyards from the tour on every cruise, as well as the backpacks and caps. The crew seems to appreciate it.

I have done it on Carnival and on NCL and have always enjoyed it.  I think it is worthwhile and will do it again.  My favorite was the visit to the Bridge where they will take a group picture and a individual picture with the Captain.

On 5/14/2019 at 9:51 AM, Bollycats said:

Different ships can have different prices and different tour lengths.

It was $55 pp on Liberty last month.  Also, there were only 2 other people signed up when myself and 2 daughter's went to sign up.  You need a minimum of 5 people.  There were only the 5 of us total on the tour, which made it go a little quicker.  My 7.5 year old was a little bored, but she enjoyed the visit to the galley because they gave us cookies and chocolate covered strawberries!  And they gave her extras to take with her!  I enjoyed seeing all the areas that no one else can, and the visit to the engine control room and the bridge, but I don't think I would do it again.  Or not for a really long time.  For me it's one of those "I don't want to see the same thing over and over again".  But still definitely worth doing if you haven't before.

It may be possible to book through a TA or by calling Carnival; I booked on embarkation day.

We each got a cinch strap backpack, a ball cap, a Carnival pen!!  A nice lanyard, rubber bracelet (this was kinda lame), and pictures with the captain.  We had 5 pictures total I think.  A couple with the whole group of 5 with the captain and guide, and the rest of the captain and my family.

What i did to to book ours as soon as i got on the ship went to the excursion desk. My husband just caught up to me. the faster you get to the desk the better. After i booked that then we went get a drink and eat. 

yes it is the last sea day. We did the Dr. Seuss breakfast and then ran to the behind the fun tour. Wish we could have stayed longer at the Dr. Seuss breakfast. I hope the next one we will do the breakfast again so we can stay the whole time.