Standard door width

ZZA6

Hi,

My daughter's wheel chair width is 21.5.I know the standard doors are 22 in width.My question is will I be able to get her chair through a regular storeroom door?if we are not able to  secure an accessible  room I was wondering if it would  fit through a standard door.she  isnot able to sit in a regular  wheel chair that folds. Thanks in advance for any information.

Kelly

On 5/14/2019 at 12:28 PM, ZZA6 said:

Thanks,I am looking into going on the Carnival pride or anthem of the seas does anyone know if the suite doors are wider?

On Carnival doors to all rooms (except handicapped) are 22" and do not open flush, leaving approximately 20.5" of clearance in the opening.

I don’t think you’ll fit, the other issue is hall width to swing into your cabin, even if you had exactly enough clearance you often won’t have enough manoeuvre room to approach dead straight.

The Carnival website states the following under their "Guests with Disabilities" section, "In order to purchase a standard stateroom, devices must be able to fit in its 22" wide entry doorway, and when stored, must allow for safe exit from the stateroom".

We were on the Carnival Pride in March and I use a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Plus Mobility scooter. My scooter's overall width is 21", and I can go through the doorway. I don't know about a wheelchair though because I think when I used my scooter the first time on the Pride I had the armrests on and it was tight. Other times DH removed the armrests. It might work with some maneuvering. Try contacting Carnival's Special Needs Dept.  Maybe there is a smaller non-folding wheelchair that you could rent from the rental company they use.

To help me with maneuvering my turn into the cabin, I always book the same standard balcony cabin. One with no inside cabins across from it, so I can maneuver without banging into someone's door. I hope you find something that works.

Yes, on some RCI ships, suites do have wider doors than standard cabins.  You can ask about your specific ship on the Royal Caribbean forum on this site.

If your daughter can't walk at all, a standard cabin will not allow her to access the bathroom...it is up a step and  very small.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:30 AM, fair-winds39 said:

The Carnival website states the following under their "Guests with Disabilities" section, "In order to purchase a standard stateroom, devices must be able to fit in its 22" wide entry doorway, and when stored, must allow for safe exit from the stateroom".

We were on the Carnival Pride in March and I use a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Plus Mobility scooter. My scooter's overall width is 21", and I can go through the doorway. I don't know about a wheelchair though because I think when I used my scooter the first time on the Pride I had the armrests on and it was tight. Other times DH removed the armrests. It might work with some maneuvering. Try contacting Carnival's Special Needs Dept.  Maybe there is a smaller non-folding wheelchair that you could rent from the rental company they use.

To help me with maneuvering my turn into the cabin, I always book the same standard balcony cabin. One with no inside cabins across from it, so I can maneuver without banging into someone's door. I hope you find something that works.

I ended booking fully accessible room on thepride may 2020,Her wheel chair is 21.5.Being that she needs full care with her daily living it will be much easier.Thanks for your help!