Buyers Remorse

Shoppie124

I got lucky the last time I stayed around Brickell the night before I cruised.  I found the JW Marriott for $129/nite.  That popped up quickly and I booked it just as quickly.  The next day, the rate jumped $100/nite.  I like the aLoft in that area, too.

But, best bet is to stay further away.  Brickell area is pretty pricey ordinarily.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, buddylover said:

Same here.....I always go to the hotel website....they are typically the same or more often than not, even cheaper with 'free cancellation' (which I always do book- as we have to fly in during winter...uggghh).  It actually takes me longer to book the hotel and typically a car rental than to find and book the cruise.....LOL!  If you book  further from the airport/cruise port, then you have to rent a car (an added expense) as shuttles from most hotels are only in a radius of the airport/cruiseport.  The Hampton Inn Brickell, Holiday Inn Cruiseport are at $239/nite right now for our dates .....and have been OVER $200 the entire time I have searched.  So good luck to all of you finding great rates.  We have a hotel booked, further out, but are renting a car too....still cheaper than a hotel close to airport and cruiseport for February.

What dates?

I have to say....this started out as a post from someone had spent a lot of money on a cruise and lamenting the money they spent and worried if it would be worth it. In the beginning everyone including myself were providing reassurance that it will be a Great Time. Now I'm watching a Pissing Match on hotel prices. I've stayed in the Haven multiple times and I know what you are spending!! Carrying on like this over hotels seems sad and kind of embarrassing for all of you. I think people have given you plenty of information to find prices. They can't hold your hand any further. I hope you have fun and relax a little!!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I got lucky the last time I stayed around Brickell the night before I cruised.  I found the JW Marriott for $129/nite.  That popped up quickly and I booked it just as quickly.  The next day, the rate jumped $100/nite.  I like the aLoft in that area, too.

But, best bet is to stay further away.  Brickell area is pretty pricey ordinarily.

Our $119 rate is aLoft at the airport the night before our cruise.  The internet must be so hard for some people.. I'm still finding all kinds of rates under $150 in mid January & February and as you mentioned, even some closer to $100 or under.  

I mean, I even asked what dates buddy boy is traveling to specifically search his exact dates and he's not interested in help.  If I had been arguing all morning with someone who kept finding lower rates than what I was finding, I'd be thrilled if they tried to help me save some money.

Whatever...  I got my $119/night room and I'm happy.

6 minutes ago, LVCruiser65 said:

I have to say....this started out as a post from someone had spent a lot of money on a cruise and lamenting the money they spent and worried if it would be worth it. In the beginning everyone including myself were providing reassurance that it will be a Great Time. Now I'm watching a Pissing Match on hotel prices. I've stayed in the Haven multiple times and I know what you are spending!! Carrying on like this over hotels seems sad and kind of embarrassing for all of you. I think people have given you plenty of information to find prices. They can't hold your hand any further. I hope you have fun and relax a little!!

As the OP, I definitely wasn't looking for anyone to hold my hand.   I can say that many of the responses I received made me feel better about what we spent.  It seems I did everything that I could do (based on the posts from others)to balance the cost with having a good time.   I am very loyal to the Marriott brand as I travel for work a lot and that's who we use.  I appreciate everyone's input even if we did vary to a topic about hotel prices and dates.

• Like 2

Just now, LVCruiser65 said:

I'm sorry Shoppie124, that wasn't directed at you at all. It was at the people arguing over hotels. I know you will have a wonderful time!! You can't turn back once you visit the Haven. 

I appreciate the clarification! 😊

I'm hoping it will be as grand as everyone says it will be!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

Wrong again buddylover...

January 11th with a AARP/Senior rate...  $135/night at TWO different Marriott hotels.

January 18th with a AARP/Senior rate...  $135/night at TWO different Marriott hotels.

February 7th for 2 nights with a AARP/Senior rate...  $152 at one hotel and $144 at another.

Again, that took me all of 5 minutes to find those rates.  You aren't trying too hard.

And since you demand names...  Aloft, Four Points, Courtyard are the ones I just found above.  Not hard at all buddy.

OK rtkenmore.....just NOW, here are the rates for my upcoming Feb cruise on Marriotts website (parameters:  Feb 22-23, Senior rate)

• Courtyard Miami Brickell  $246/nite
  • Aloft $271/nite
  • Springhill Suites $269/nite
  • Residence Inn Coconut Grove $267/nite
  • Residence Inn Miami Beach $349/nite
  • Courtyard Miami Beach $399/nite
  • Courtyard Miami Coral Gables $254/nite (cheaper further out?)
  • Four Points by Sheraton $263/nite
  • Towne Place Suites Miami Airport $186/nite (close enough to $200/nite?)
  • Element $218/nite
  • Courtyard Miami Airport $220

Hot off the press just now....on Marriotts own site.  Case "closed" rtkenmore.  Now who is right??  This is the proof you have been avoiding....I do know of what I speak as it is my $$$ being spent and my hours of research looking.  The costs hover and most are above the $200 dollar mark. Yes, there are motels and some hotels very very cheap, but that is not the point.  The point is that the typical hotel we have always stayed in has gone way, way up in price in the past few years to the pricepoints I have shown you above.  It is my vacation, and where we stay is our choice, and all that I have been trying to convey is that it has drastically gone UP in the past few years for the same properties in  the mid January to mid February time frames.  We travel frequently, so I research frequently...and my one and only point to the OP, was "Yes, it has gotten quite expensive" to travel to Florida (including very high airfare prices as well that increased when fuel went up in price and have not come down).  I am not talking about using "points' to pay for a hotel stay, but paying $$$, hard earned $$ and the prices indicated on Marriott's website (your choice of hotel chain) are well over $200/nite average.  Case closed on my end - I know of what I am speaking!

13 minutes ago, Shoppie124 said:

As the OP, I definitely wasn't looking for anyone to hold my hand.   I can say that many of the responses I received made me feel better about what we spent.  It seems I did everything that I could do (based on the posts from others)to balance the cost with having a good time.   I am very loyal to the Marriott brand as I travel for work a lot and that's who we use.  I appreciate everyone's input even if we did vary to a topic about hotel prices and dates.

Try the Aloft or Four Points at the airport (on the nor west side).  They seem to be some of the most affordable Marriott in the area and those are two of the most consistently cheaper ones I find in my searches over December, January and February.

Shoppie124, as posted above by buddylover, you can see what I was referring too. I don't think you were looking for that in your original post. I got lost in their fight and mixed you in. In fact I think they are so lost in their fight that I don't think they realize they are the sad embarrassing people I was referring too. Please let us know how it went when you get back!!

12 minutes ago, buddylover said:

OK rtkenmore.....just NOW, here are the rates for my upcoming Feb cruise on Marriotts website (parameters:  Feb 22-23, Senior rate)

• Aloft $271/nite
  • Element $218/nite

Hot off the press just now....on Marriotts own site.  Case "closed" rtkenmore.  Now who is right??  This is the proof you have been avoiding....I do know of what I speak as it is my $$$ being spent and my hours of research looking.  The costs hover and most are above the $200 dollar mark. Yes, there are motels and some hotels very very cheap, but that is not the point.  The point is that the typical hotel we have always stayed in has gone way, way up in price in the past few years to the pricepoints I have shown you above.  It is my vacation, and where we stay is our choice, and all that I have been trying to convey is that it has drastically gone UP in the past few years for the same properties in  the mid January to mid February time frames.  We travel frequently, so I research frequently...and my one and only point to the OP, was "Yes, it has gotten quite expensive" to travel to Florida (including very high airfare prices as well that increased when fuel went up in price and have not come down).  I am not talking about using "points' to pay for a hotel stay, but paying $$$, hard earned $$ and the prices indicated on Marriott's website (your choice of hotel chain) are well over $200/nite average.  Case closed on my end - I know of what I am speaking!

February 22-23rd on an AARP/Senior rate direct from Marriott.com...

Miami Airport Marriott - $178

Sheraton Miami Airport - $175

Fairfield Inn & Suites Airport - $160

Townplace Suites Airport - $186

Aloft Miami Airport - $169

Four Points Airport - $152

Courtyard Miami Airport -$144

Townplace Suties Airport West - $169.

Springhill Suites Doral - $161

Aloft Doral - $143

Element Doral - $144

Courtyard Miami Lakes - $135

Townplace Suites Miami Lakes - $135

Courtyard Miramar - $118

Tell me again how I'm wrong?  14 hotels ALL under $200 and seven under $152.  The same results I've been finding all morning.  You stink at your research... Sorry not sorry.

Sorry Shoppie124..  Hopefully all this research will give you some additional ideas for hotels.  They can definitely be found well under $200/night with reputable brands throughout the area.

Edited by rtkenmore

I also meant to advise you to fully research everything the Haven affords you. As soon as you get to the pier tell the staff you are in the Haven. Take advantage of everything you are entitled too. We went on a cruise with Haven Newbies. We told them all the perks and hints and they didn't take advantage. I don't want that to happen to you. Sounds like you are a researcher. Read the posts and tips and Enjoy!!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Since there was such a debate about hotel rates in Miami, I figured I would post an update.

Originally, we were booked at Marriott Biscayne Bay in Late August.  Our rate $189 night plus taxes.  Total $450 total

I've been watching the rates for the same room/ hotel.  I was able to get the room for $137 night plus taxes.  Total of $310

It is the prepaid rate however, my flight is booked and my cruise is booked.  So unless we decide to sleep under a bridge... this is a great deal!!

Moral of the story... Never pay full price and always verify you aren't paying full price!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Shoppie124 said:

Since there was such a debate about hotel rates in Miami, I figured I would post an update.

Originally, we were booked at Marriott Biscayne Bay in Late August.  Our rate $189 night plus taxes.  Total $450 total

I've been watching the rates for the same room/ hotel.  I was able to get the room for $137 night plus taxes.  Total of $310

It is the prepaid rate however, my flight is booked and my cruise is booked.  So unless we decide to sleep under a bridge... this is a great deal!!

Moral of the story... Never pay full price and always verify you aren't paying full price!

But that's not possible to find such a cheap rate in Miami.  😕

Thank you for proving my point above that if you look enough and keep an eye out that you can find anything you're looking for.  What site did you book through or was it direct with Marriott?

13 minutes ago, Shoppie124 said:

We always stay at the Marriott Biscayne Bay. With a certain level of Elite status you have access to their

Concierge lounge. In the morning you can eat breakfast in the restaurant (free for Continental or a small

upcharge for full buffet.) In the lounge they have free soft drinks, tea, coffee and bottled water. In the evening

they have a nice meal and dessert. It is a money saver.We get a room that has access to the Concierge lounge

but even if we didn't we have access. It is a nice place.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

Thank you for proving my point above that if you look enough and keep an eye out that you can find anything you're looking for.  What site did you book through or was it direct with Marriott?

Rates in Miami are very, very seasonal. Yes you can get good rates, not during late Dec. through February though.

5 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Rates in Miami are very, very seasonal. Yes you can get good rates, not during late Dec. through February though.

That has been my experience. I booked our hotel for December and when the rates just came out the lowest was in

the $300 range. We booked a room that has concierge lounge access for $400. We have stayed in that same room

category before and the price has sometimes gone up to $500-$600 per night closer to the cruise. On the other hand

I have also seen rates much lower but that was at the end of January.

1 hour ago, rtkenmore said:

Direct with Marriott. I will add I’m an Elite member.  It helped the price by about $5 night

On 5/20/2019 at 11:17 AM, buddylover said:

• Aloft $271/nite
  • Element $218/nite

We always cruise the last week in February.   The rates you listed are the same as I have seen each year for that timeframe.  Would love to see $100/night but no luck.

On 5/20/2019 at 11:29 AM, rtkenmore said:

February 22-23rd on an AARP/Senior rate direct from Marriott.com...

Miami Airport Marriott - $178

Sheraton Miami Airport - $175

Fairfield Inn & Suites Airport - $160

Townplace Suites Airport - $186

Aloft Miami Airport - $169

Four Points Airport - $152

Courtyard Miami Airport -$144

Townplace Suties Airport West - $169.

Springhill Suites Doral - $161

Aloft Doral - $143

Element Doral - $144

Courtyard Miami Lakes - $135

Townplace Suites Miami Lakes - $135

Courtyard Miramar - $118

Tell me again how I'm wrong?  14 hotels ALL under $200 and seven under $152.  The same results I've been finding all morning.  You stink at your research... Sorry not sorry.

Sorry Shoppie124..  Hopefully all this research will give you some additional ideas for hotels.  They can definitely be found well under $200/night with reputable brands throughout the area.

You insist on keeping a war alive.....however, we NEVER prepay as we fly in and don't take risks on losing our hard earned $$....secondly, can't find ONE rate that you have listed above either on AARPs site or Marriotts.....don't know where you are getting your info.  Plus, your argument has changed....you originally were stating pricing closer to $100/nite (like $118, $137), now you have upped your ante to my original comment and pricing of closer to and over $200/nite???  Since I am the one looking to book the hotel room, and must book at the pricing I find in my exhaustive search (whether you believe it or not!) I would LOVE to find pricing as low as you post....however, it is and has not been at those low rates since I booked and the hotels posted their rates over a year ago for Feb 2020!  Would snap up a Marriott, or like hotel, at the rates you started out claiming closer to $100/nite!!  Conversation with you is officially 'closed' on my behalf, I do know of what I speak and of the high pricing at that time of year in Florida!

11 hours ago, cincicruisers said:

We always cruise the last week in February.   The rates you listed are the same as I have seen each year for that timeframe.  Would love to see $100/night but no luck.

Thank you!!  That is precisely the pricing we have found and paid each year when we have cruised in late Jan - late Feb.  That is "high season" in Florida and rates have been quite high for several years now.  We would all love to pay a lot less....that is why I search non stop and book "cancellable" hotels....so if I do happen to stumble on a great rate, I grab it and cancel the next best one I had booked!  It does take work and time, since all we do typically is sleep in the room the night before a cruise.....just hate to pay close to $200 for less than a full 24 hour day!!