Buyers Remorse

Shoppie124

On 5/15/2019 at 11:28 PM, graphicguy said:

Just did a quick look at the Holiday Inn Miami and this popped up first.....

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/miami/miaex/hoteldetail

Thank you for this information. Just what I needed to know for my next cruising visit.. Fantastic rate.

• Like 1

OP- I flew one time to Miami did 2 nights Hotel- its a lot more than me just taking the bus to NYC and one night hotel- but the upside was that it was a greater sense of detachment and being on vacation by going to Miami first. 

I would embrace it just this once- best case you decide to do it again- worst case its a one time thing

On 5/15/2019 at 9:52 AM, buddylover said:

We cruise in and out of FLL and MIA multiple times a year and haven't seen $100/nite in MIA for a Long Long time.  What time of year and what hotels do you stay in pre-cruise for $100/nite in MIA?  Just curious as I have 2 more booked cruises for FLA and can't find a hotel for under close to double that??

We're cruising in December and booked at $119/night for one night prior at an airport hotel (Marriott brand).

9 hours ago, Shoppie124 said:

I am actually thinking of using my Marriott points to cut down on the cost... 

I'm really hoping this trip worth what it’s costing.    On a positive note, most of the expenses will be prepaid😊

Staying by the airport will be much cheaper. Marriott has a complex (Marriott, Courtyard, Residence Inn, and Homewood Suites??).

Uber to port is about 15.00

We've used Residence Inn several times.

Traveling in the Haven is expensive, but wow is it nice.  The early travel days will make the stress of traveling less and your note that there is very little to be paid with everything included.   

As as a person who takes a long time to decompress from work (Sunday cruise, I’m finally relaxed by Thursday), the Haven works wonders for relaxing.  

22 hours ago, rtkenmore said:

We're cruising in December and booked at $119/night for one night prior at an airport hotel (Marriott brand).

What is the hotel name? and on what website did you find that price?  There is nothing under $179/night and most hover over $200/nite, especially Marriott brand, in late January/February...and I have searched Marriotts website for December and don't see anything for $119/night either??  Hmmm......you got a great deal, if truly $119, but one that I can't seem to find now, nor have been able to find for several years now.  The prices hover close to almost double that!

My husband and I just cruised on the Breakaway in a Haven.

Remember that you will have a concierge and butler.  We weren't thrilled with our butler but our concierge was wonderful.  You can ask for what kind of afternoon canapes you want.  We requested to not have any because we always eat early.

Do your research to find out what you are entitled to in a Haven.  We always ask that the frig be emptied.  We know we are not going to buy anything from there.  The tall bottle of water sitting on top is not free! 

We loved eating in the Haven but also the specialty restaurants.  You probably have the dining package (?).  The concierge can help with reservations.  We booked very late and all restaurants were sold out but he got us in. 

We did not care for Rock of Ages but loved Burn the Floor.  There was also an excellent comedian/magician one night in the theater that did not require reservations.

Have a great time!

4 hours ago, buddylover said:

What is the hotel name? and on what website did you find that price?  There is nothing under $179/night and most hover over $200/nite, especially Marriott brand, in late January/February...and I have searched Marriotts website for December and don't see anything for $119/night either??  Hmmm......you got a great deal, if truly $119, but one that I can't seem to find now, nor have been able to find for several years now.  The prices hover close to almost double that!

What days are you searching?  It matters what sites, what days, how many days, what rate codes, etc...  The $119 is no longer available but I just found several around the airport in the $130's...

On 5/18/2019 at 7:47 PM, Shoppie124 said:

I'm really hoping this trip worth what it’s costing.    On a positive note, most of the expenses will be prepaid😊

I was going to mention this.  If you do it right there will be few bills waiting at the end except for stuff purchased on the trip.

I'm in the unhappy portion of hoping to max out every monthly sales bonus and funnel it directly to the trip in November before I do something foolish (ahem, more foolish 😉) with it.  However, once this is done, we're in the Haven with OBC, prepaid gratuities, beverage package and several days of complimentary specialty dining.  

2 hours ago, MichaelCMTX said:

I was going to mention this.  If you do it right there will be few bills waiting at the end except for stuff purchased on the trip.

I'm in the unhappy portion of hoping to max out every monthly sales bonus and funnel it directly to the trip in November before I do something foolish (ahem, more foolish 😉) with it.  However, once this is done, we're in the Haven with OBC, prepaid gratuities, beverage package and several days of complimentary specialty dining.  

The same for my Haven Bookings.  I’ve received anywhere from $800-$1,200 OBC.  Not all from NCL.  But, a combo of NCL, my TA and AMEX.

17 hours ago, rtkenmore said:

What days are you searching?  It matters what sites, what days, how many days, what rate codes, etc...  The $119 is no longer available but I just found several around the airport in the $130's...

Exactly, which is why I am asking you what site YOU are finding these incredibly low prices.  I have been cruising for a while now, and always need to fly to the port, so this is not a new search for us.  So please answer, what sites are you using to find these prices, as I use probably most of them myself (hotels dot com, priceline, hotwire, expedia, travelocity, AARP, the hotel sites directly etc.).  I don't think I leave any 'stone unturned'....and the prices in mid January to mid February are double you quotes, and have been for quite some time.  Please do tell us where you are finding $119 or even $130 (for a Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites, Fairfield, Springhill Suites, Hyatt Place, Residence Inn or equivalent type hotel) in Miami???  Even LaQuintas are close to $200 nite??  Very confused with your information.  (The same holds true for the Ft. Lauderdale and surrounding areas as well - i.e., Plantation, Doral, Pembroke Pines etc).

9 minutes ago, buddylover said:

Exactly, which is why I am asking you what site YOU are finding these incredibly low prices.  I have been cruising for a while now, and always need to fly to the port, so this is not a new search for us.  So please answer, what sites are you using to find these prices, as I use probably most of them myself (hotels dot com, priceline, hotwire, expedia, travelocity, AARP, the hotel sites directly etc.).  I don't think I leave any 'stone unturned'....and the prices in mid January to mid February are double you quotes, and have been for quite some time.  Please do tell us where you are finding $119 or even $130 (for a Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites, Fairfield, Springhill Suites, Hyatt Place, Residence Inn or equivalent type hotel) in Miami???  Even LaQuintas are close to $200 nite??  Very confused with your information.  (The same holds true for the Ft. Lauderdale and surrounding areas as well - i.e., Plantation, Doral, Pembroke Pines etc).

You must not be trying very hard...  

December 7th for 1 night in Miami - Found five Marriott brand hotels under $152 on marriott.com (AAA rate)

January 11th for 1 night in Miami - Found three Marriott brand hotels under $140 on marriott.com (AAA rate)

January 18th for 1 night in Miami - Found three Marriott brand hotels under $140 on marriott.com (AAA rate)

February 7th for 2 nights in Miami - Found one Marriott brand hotel under $150 on marriott.com (AAA rate)

The $119 rate I broked was the day the schedule released for that particular week (December 7th) at the Aloft Miami Airport.  They are currently quoting $137 (AAA rate), $139 (Senior rate), and $124 (Prepaid rate).  I only use Marriott.com as I'm a long time rewards member (legacy SPG) that typically winds up with at least a basic upgrade and I've just been loyal for over a decade to SPG/Marriott.  I'd rather book direct for the perks I get than go through hotels.com or travelocity.com.  Hotel rates can and do change constantly though as most hotels have gone to some type of demand based booking system.  I look about once a week at all of my current reservations and compare my current rate (usually AAA or Senior) with what the current rates are at the same hotel or other nearby hotels that may be of interest.  For December 7th, I'm not likely to beat $119 for the night but all this talk about "nothing under $200" is BS.  There are plenty of options under $200 and even a healthy variety under $150.  Are they all 4 or 5 star hotels?  Absolutely not...  But I don't have to have a 5 star Embassy suite for a one or two night stay before a cruise.  I just searched Hotels.com for December 7th and found 20+ hotels under $150 a night and another 14 under $150 in mid January (11th).

And since you mentioned LaQuinta..  yeah, found it on Hotels.com for $149 a night in mid-January.  I don't know what to tell you..  Try harder.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

You must not be trying very hard...  

December 7th for 1 night in Miami - Found five Marriott brand hotels under $152 on marriott.com (AAA rate)

January 11th for 1 night in Miami - Found three Marriott brand hotels under $140 on marriott.com (AAA rate)

January 18th for 1 night in Miami - Found three Marriott brand hotels under $140 on marriott.com (AAA rate)

February 7th for 2 nights in Miami - Found one Marriott brand hotel under $150 on marriott.com (AAA rate)

The $119 rate I broked was the day the schedule released for that particular week (December 7th) at the Aloft Miami Airport.  They are currently quoting $137 (AAA rate), $139 (Senior rate), and $124 (Prepaid rate).  I only use Marriott.com as I'm a long time rewards member (legacy SPG) that typically winds up with at least a basic upgrade and I've just been loyal for over a decade to SPG/Marriott.  I'd rather book direct for the perks I get than go through hotels.com or travelocity.com.  Hotel rates can and do change constantly though as most hotels have gone to some type of demand based booking system.  I look about once a week at all of my current reservations and compare my current rate (usually AAA or Senior) with what the current rates are at the same hotel or other nearby hotels that may be of interest.  For December 7th, I'm not likely to beat $119 for the night but all this talk about "nothing under $200" is BS.  There are plenty of options under $200 and even a healthy variety under $150.  Are they all 4 or 5 star hotels?  Absolutely not...  But I don't have to have a 5 star Embassy suite for a one or two night stay before a cruise.  I just searched Hotels.com for December 7th and found 20+ hotels under $150 a night and another 14 under $150 in mid January (11th).

And since you mentioned LaQuinta..  yeah, found it on Hotels.com for $149 a night in mid-January.  I don't know what to tell you..  Try harder.

Not going to get in a match with you....but not everyone has AAA (we for one do NOT), but we do have AARP and we too are very seasoned travellers.  It is NOT BS, it is factual....the week of Dec 7 is "shoulder season", one of the cheapest around......January and Feb are 'high season' and if you go to your valued Marriott site and look you will be hard pressed to find any rates under $200 nite....I try harder than you do, as I compare all the sites....including Marriott's own site.  The subject of this thread started out about how much hotels have gone UP in price.....and YES, they have, especially in Jan, Feb March, their high season......comparing apples to apples (and not to shoulder season in Dec)....the rates are incredibly higher.  You need to do some more hunting yourself in the months being discussed, your narrow search is BS to what the rest of us are looking at!

Just now, buddylover said:

Not going to get in a match with you....but not everyone has AAA (we for one do NOT), but we do have AARP and we too are very seasoned travellers.  It is NOT BS, it is factual....the week of Dec 7 is "shoulder season", one of the cheapest around......January and Feb are 'high season' and if you go to your valued Marriott site and look you will be hard pressed to find any rates under $200 nite....I try harder than you do, as I compare all the sites....including Marriott's own site.  The subject of this thread started out about how much hotels have gone UP in price.....and YES, they have, especially in Jan, Feb March, their high season......comparing apples to apples (and not to shoulder season in Dec)....the rates are incredibly higher.  You need to do some more hunting yourself in the months being discussed, your narrow search is BS to what the rest of us are looking at!

Oh yea, and what "Marriott brand" hotels, by NAME have you found for under $140 and $152 and where are they located.  Name them....I have been looking at Marriott dot com since before the pricing was even open.....not close to what I find on their website.  State facts, ie, names of the hotels and locations...otherwise your information is not factual at all.  Like saying "the census of 2015" and not stating any parameters.....anyone can say anything, but you skirt the hard facts.  Please state them, so we can all jump on these great deals (that no one else can find).  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, buddylover said:

Wrong again buddylover...

January 11th with a AARP/Senior rate...  $135/night at TWO different Marriott hotels.

January 18th with a AARP/Senior rate...  $135/night at TWO different Marriott hotels.

February 7th for 2 nights with a AARP/Senior rate...  $152 at one hotel and $144 at another.

Again, that took me all of 5 minutes to find those rates.  You aren't trying too hard.

And since you demand names...  Aloft, Four Points, Courtyard are the ones I just found above.  Not hard at all buddy.

Edited by rtkenmore

You have to do some leg work.  There are plenty of hotels well under $200/nite.  Personally, I'd pick my top 5 hotel chains and go to their web sites (hotels.com, and some of the other travel sites don't have rates any better than hotel brand sites, unless you bundle airfare).  Once at their site, pull up the day(s) you plan on being there.  See how fares change with the areas where their hotels are located.

Don't be afraid to take a room further from the airport or from the port and uber/lyft in if you find a good rate.

Like anything else, you have to shop a little bit.

Personally, I always include Holiday Inn, Marriott, aLoft, Best Western, and SPG in my searches.  Don't forget to look at all the associated brands aligned with the above hotel chains.  You may have to sift through 20-30 hotels.  And, it's a good idea to see how the rates change from one day to the next.  But, you can find decent rates.

It usually takes me as much time to find a hotel as it does a cruise when I'm planning.

Good luck!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, buddylover said:

January and Feb are 'high season' and if you go to your valued Marriott site and look you will be hard pressed to find any rates under $200 nite....I try harder than you do, as I compare all the sites....including Marriott's own site.  The subject of this thread started out about how much hotels have gone UP in price.....and YES, they have, especially in Jan, Feb March, their high season......comparing apples to apples (and not to shoulder season in Dec)....the rates are incredibly higher.  You need to do some more hunting yourself in the months being discussed, your narrow search is BS to what the rest of us are looking at!

And just for sh*ts and giggles...  February 7th for 2 nights on an AARP rate there are 8 Marriott branded hotels within 5 miles of MIA under $200 a night and three of those are $160 or less.

And in March 13th for 2 nights on a AARP rate, I found the same 8 hotels under $200 and within 5 miles of the airport.  Also, three of them still priced $160 or less per night with one at $144/night.

For a seasoned traveler, I would think this wouldn't be too hard.  Again, took about 5 minutes to find these rates.

• Like 1

We stayed at the Runway Inn at the airport, basic hotel but that is all we needed for 1 night before our cruise last October.

$65 a night with free airport shuttle and free cruise shuttle next morning.

Not for everyone but we just needed a place to get a nights sleep and nothing more, the excitement was the cruise.

13 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

And just for sh*ts and giggles...  February 7th for 2 nights on an AARP rate there are 8 Marriott branded hotels within 5 miles of MIA under $200 a night and three of those are $160 or less.

And in March 13th for 2 nights on a AARP rate, I found the same 8 hotels under $200 and within 5 miles of the airport.  Also, three of them still priced $160 or less per night with one at $144/night.

For a seasoned traveler, I would think this wouldn't be too hard.  Again, took about 5 minutes to find these rates.

Ahhh, now you are getting more like it....YES under $200, like I have been saying all along.....NOT $119, like you said.  Thanks, but you still have not listed the specific hotels......not true unless your claims can be documented.  

Just now, buddylover said:

Ahhh, now you are getting more like it....YES under $200, like I have been saying all along.....NOT $119, like you said.  Thanks, but you still have not listed the specific hotels......not true unless your claims can be documented.  

I did find one for $119 (Holiday Inn).  I think you looked the next day and it had already gone up to $169.  As we've mentioned, got to put some time in to find those rates, but they're there.  Those are the only rates I'll book.  I'll never book a $200/nite pre/post cruise hotel rate.

Just another quick heads up, when you find a rate the works for you, book it (you can usually cancel within 24 hours of your arrival).  Don't wait.

I cruise out of FL and NY quite a bit, too.  So, I WILL DO the leg work to find a good hotel rate in both places.

1 minute ago, buddylover said:

Sure, ignore the part where I found Marriott hotels in the $130-$150 as well...  And found 20 something under $150 on Hotels.com.

I get that you don't want to accept that you're wrong... But you are.  There are plenty of options under $150 and as someone above noted, under $100 even.

19 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

You have to do some leg work.  There are plenty of hotels well under $200/nite.  Personally, I'd pick my top 5 hotel chains and go to their web sites (hotels.com, and some of the other travel sites don't have rates any better than hotel brand sites, unless you bundle airfare).  Once at their site, pull up the day(s) you plan on being there.  See how fares change with the areas where their hotels are located.

Don't be afraid to take a room further from the airport or from the port and uber/lyft in if you find a good rate.

Like anything else, you have to shop a little bit.

Personally, I always include Holiday Inn, Marriott, aLoft, Best Western, and SPG in my searches.  Don't forget to look at all the associated brands aligned with the above hotel chains.  You may have to sift through 20-30 hotels.  And, it's a good idea to see how the rates change from one day to the next.  But, you can find decent rates.

It usually takes me as much time to find a hotel as it does a cruise when I'm planning.

Good luck!

Same here.....I always go to the hotel website....they are typically the same or more often than not, even cheaper with 'free cancellation' (which I always do book- as we have to fly in during winter...uggghh).  It actually takes me longer to book the hotel and typically a car rental than to find and book the cruise.....LOL!  If you book  further from the airport/cruise port, then you have to rent a car (an added expense) as shuttles from most hotels are only in a radius of the airport/cruiseport.  The Hampton Inn Brickell, Holiday Inn Cruiseport are at $239/nite right now for our dates .....and have been OVER $200 the entire time I have searched.  So good luck to all of you finding great rates.  We have a hotel booked, further out, but are renting a car too....still cheaper than a hotel close to airport and cruiseport for February.