Chef's Table by Daniel Boulud - New?

Ariyel

I am booked on the Solstice for an Alaska cruise in June and I was poking around tonight in the Dining section of the cruise planner.

I noticed what I think may be a new entry - Chef's Table by Daniel Boulud for $139. 

Does anyone know for sure if this, in fact, a new Chef's Table experience?  I was interested in booking it, but not if it's the same 5 course meal at Murano that you could pick yourself off the menu there (I think it was the "Five Senses Gastronomic and Vineyard Tour" which was $89 per the Cruise Critic write up from August 21, 2018).  The Chef's Table write up does seem to indicate it has some nice extras - galley tour, cookbook, and a photo from dinner.

Following is a link to a seventeen minute video that Celebrity released during February when they first announced their culinary partnership with highly acclaimed Chef Daniel Boulud.  After opening with a minute of written text, you'll find commentary from Lisa Lutoff-Perlo [Celebrity's President & CEO], Cornelius Gallagher [Celebrity's Associate Vice President Of Food & Beverage Operations], and Daniel Boulud himself relative to the collaboration [followed by a video tour of his signature restaurant, Daniel, in New York City] .

https://www.celebritycruisespresscenter.com/video/133/chef-daniel-boulud-partnership-epk/

In addition, following is a link to Boulud's very impressive bio as published on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Boulud

I've been privileged to have dined at both Daniel and the less formal Boulud Sud in New York City.  Start to finish and from every perspective, the experiences were impeccable and I look forward to dining at the new Chef's Table while aboard a future Celebrity cruise [it was not yet offered when I sailed on Edge in March and again on the Transatlantic that concluded in Southampton on Monday of this week].  

If you're a foodie, this new offering--it's just starting to roll out--might well prove to be a real treat.  On the Solstice-Class ships, I suspect it will be staged in the Wine Cellar at Murano with a totally different menu.

Edited by Xport
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Ariyel said:

I am booked on the Solstice for an Alaska cruise in June and I was poking around tonight in the Dining section of the cruise planner.

I noticed what I think may be a new entry - Chef's Table by Daniel Boulud for $139. 

Does anyone know for sure if this, in fact, a new Chef's Table experience?  I was interested in booking it, but not if it's the same 5 course meal at Murano that you could pick yourself off the menu there (I think it was the "Five Senses Gastronomic and Vineyard Tour" which was $89 per the Cruise Critic write up from August 21, 2018).  The Chef's Table write up does seem to indicate it has some nice extras - galley tour, cookbook, and a photo from dinner.

We're signed up for this as well, 6/22.

My guess is they follow some of the same format as the old chef's table but with new food.

Private room in Murano to eat and tour of the kitchen as well.

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Not sure if this answers your questions, but has some info that they put out with the press release a few months ago. $249 per couple (if they still offer that price) for 5 course wine-pairing looks good to me. 🙂

Daniel Boulud.pdf 3.48 MB · 11 downloads

We did the Chef's Table on Equinox Jan 2018, and I have posted about the positives and negatives before (and compared to Chef's Table on Princess). We might very well give this one a try, even though we said we would likely never do another CT, the new menu and wine pairing might be worth it - although the food and wine on the CT wasn't the necessarily the negative... That's the same price as the CT we did, and it didn't include a photo or cookbook, although I'm not sure how much of a selling point those are, particularly the photo, LOL.

46 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

Normally I wouldn't sign up for the first night of a cruise, but thinking that the food might be the freshest, I did (August - Summit).  Would appreciate prior reviews if possible.  Thanks

That actually brings me to another question if anyone has recent/current experience with the new Chef's Table by Daniel Boulud - on the Celebrity website in the description for the dinner it says "Your restaurant location and dining time will be confirmed in your stateroom on embarkation day."  However, when you go to purchase the dinner the only time available is Day 1 at 5:30 PM.  We were actually intending to do the first night discount specialty restaurant meal with our group - can't do both though!

My question is, is the Chef's Table really only the first night at 5:30 or is that a place holder time/day and then they tell you when it will actually be when you're on board?

3 hours ago, Ariyel said:

My question is, is the Chef's Table really only the first night at 5:30 or is that a place holder time/day and then they tell you when it will actually be when you're on board?

Good question - I bet place holder, but I don’t know

3 hours ago, Ariyel said:

That actually brings me to another question if anyone has recent/current experience with the new Chef's Table by Daniel Boulud - on the Celebrity website in the description for the dinner it says "Your restaurant location and dining time will be confirmed in your stateroom on embarkation day."  However, when you go to purchase the dinner the only time available is Day 1 at 5:30 PM.  We were actually intending to do the first night discount specialty restaurant meal with our group - can't do both though!

The brochure above says that the dinner twice per cruise.  I  had only one option - I assumed that the other night was full. 

I can’t see them doing it the first night - too much of a rush. I’ve booked for my Easter 2020 cruise - I’ve already booked a Murano with the first night discount and it let me book both.

First cruise with it is supposed to be June 5th Summit.

Thank you VT!

Wendy 

• Like 1

Because of this thread, we just signed up for it this Sunday to Bermuda.

It was ONLY offered on the first night, and while you were on the right track of the first night being rushed, I think that is exactly why...and why they also offer you a discount on specialty restaurants the first night...because it is so chaotic...no one knows where to go, what to do, still complaining that they got the wrong time, etc.... if they can take a bunch of people out of the mix it lessens the stress on the MDR, Blu, and even Luminae.

We are in our first suite, and I *think* I found our first night menu, which did not sound *that* exciting, so we were happy to book (plus we'll be using our OBC so it will be *free*).

I also checked to see if it is on our Infinity cruise later this year, but no, it is ONLY for the ships that have been already "revolutionized".

Hopefully the internet on board next week will be sufficient for me to post here and let everyone know how it was.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, warmwinds said:

It was ONLY offered on the first night, and while you were on the right track of the first night being rushed,

Hopefully the internet on board next week will be sufficient for me to post here and let everyone know how it was.

Awesome, so glad this thread was helpful to you!!  Please do report back on how it was - hope you love it and it's a great new addition to the dining options!

• Like 1

I'm excited that it's going to be a surprise (to us) - I'm sure there will be many reports in the future with the full menu.  I'll try to get on line Monday to report, but we'll be at sea for a couple of days so no guarantees.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 12:48 AM, warmwinds said:

It was ONLY offered on the first night, and while you were on the right track of the first night being rushed, I think that is exactly why...and why they also offer you a discount on specialty restaurants the first night...because it is so chaotic...no one knows where to go, what to do, still complaining that they got the wrong time, etc.... if they can take a bunch of people out of the mix it lessens the stress on the MDR, Blu, and even Luminae.

We are in our first suite, and I *think* I found our first night menu, which did not sound *that* exciting, so we were happy to book (plus we'll be using our OBC so it will be *free*).

I also checked to see if it is on our Infinity cruise later this year, but no, it is ONLY for the ships that have been already "revolutionized".

Very happy to be wrong! Just surprised as I would think people would want to dress up a bit and that isn’t leaving much time. I look forward to hearing your review!

hope the delay in leaving didn’t effect you too much and you are having a good cruise. 

Enjoy!

Wendy

5 minutes ago, wendyam76 said:

Very happy to be wrong! Just surprised as I would think people would want to dress up a bit and that isn’t leaving much time. I look forward to hearing your review!

hope the delay in leaving didn’t effect you too much and you are having a good cruise. 

Enjoy!

Wendy

I'm super curious to hear back from warmwinds if their Chef's Table was indeed on the first night.  I agree with you that a first night scheduling seems tough all around for this event.  Seems more suited to a Sea Day scheduling.

I got this email back from Celebrity today about the subject: 

"For "Chef's Table by Daniel Boulud" You can pre book it only on day 1 at 5:30 but you will be contacted on board and tell you the day and time you will be accommodated.

If you have something else going on at the time you are confirm you can ask to be changed."

And I happened to notice on ChicagoPaul's Live thread (currently going right now on the Celebrity boards) that his Eclipse Cruise to Alaska seems to have actually scheduled the Chef's Table on Day 2 (which makes more sense to me).  You can see it listed in the dailies he posted pictures of at post 111.  

• Like 1

Ariyel, I think on the Eclipse that will be the old style of Chef’s table as i think they are only having the new one on the newly revolutionised ships. I am indeed intrigued to hear back from warmwinds. My TA is actually on the Edge at the moment and she is going to ask about it. 

Wendy 

1 hour ago, wendyam76 said:

Ariyel, I think on the Eclipse that will be the old style of Chef’s table as i think they are only having the new one on the newly revolutionised ships. I am indeed intrigued to hear back from warmwinds. My TA is actually on the Edge at the moment and she is going to ask about it. 

Wendy 

Awesome, I'll be interested to hear what your TA finds out too!

1 minute ago, rbj287 said:

I am currently on the Celebrity Summit and we signed up for this dinner and it is going to be held on Day 5.  

Fantastic, thanks for letting us know!  I look forward to hearing how the dinner is, please come back and share how it was!

I just booked the Chef's Table for my June 3 cruise on Reflection.  The website only showed one option (Day 1 at 5:30) but I wasn't able to book online so called up Celebrity.  I was told that it is actually on the first day and that is on my confirmation email, as well.  If that day changes, I guess we'll just go with the flow!  Looking forward to it whichever day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SEAGURRL said:

I just booked the Chef's Table for my June 3 cruise on Reflection.  The website only showed one option (Day 1 at 5:30) but I wasn't able to book online so called up Celebrity.  I was told that it is actually on the first day and that is on my confirmation email, as well.  If that day changes, I guess we'll just go with the flow!  Looking forward to it whichever day.

That’s what I was told also when looking to book for my reflection cruise in nov.  I want to go but first day is a bummer for me.  

• Like 1

We would love to do this dinner, but it shows up as being on Day 1 at 5:30 just like others have mentioned.  We depart Venice on Day 1 at 5:30 and I sure don't want to be eating dinner at that time.  I look forward to more replies once people have had a chance to experience this dinner.

• Like 2