Cape Liberty - Road Construction (Again)!

To anyone traveling to/from Cape Liberty:  The Turnpike has announced that major work will begin around May 30th on the 14ABC extension.  You may wish to consider an alternate route or leave a little more time to get to the Port.  It probably won't be a problem on weekends, but mid week departures and arrivals may experience delays.

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2019 at 8:50 AM, philpcruiser said:

To anyone traveling to/from Cape Liberty:  The Turnpike has announced that major work will begin around May 30th on the 14ABC extension.  You may wish to consider an alternate route or leave a little more time to get to the Port.  It probably won't be a problem on weekends, but mid week departures and arrivals may experience delays.

We are coming from Central PA what alternate route would you suggest.  We board the Summit on a Wednesday.

44 minutes ago, shippmates said:

We are coming from Central PA what alternate route would you suggest.  We board the Summit on a Wednesday.

This is tough for a Wednesday.  You definitely want to add a few more minutes to your commute.  If you have a traffic app, use it.  If your coming up the NJ turnpike, you may save time getting off at exit 10, go through Staten Island to Bayonne Bridge and up 440 to Cape Liberty.  This may or may not save you time.  The toll will cost a bit more. 

We live 30 minutes away and depart on a Sunday.  I plan on leaving a few minutes early too. 

This is long term construction scheduled to take four years. It has been deferred for a long time because of the Pulaski Skyway project that was completed some months ago. As of now, all they have done is permanently close down the eastbound shoulder that was used as a third travel lane on weekdays during rush hour. I would not alter any plans for driving into the area yet. I don't know yet what kind of delays the construction will cause, but as time goes on I will report back. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 8:50 AM, philpcruiser said:

Yes, it will be weekends. This past Sunday 6/9/19 we tried to use 14C (A,B, & C are in the same area) and they only had one lane opened after the toll to the turnpike extension from Route 78.  It was a mess.  We were going to Jersey City and used Turnpike North to an exit in Jersey City for the Holland Tunnel.  Even this traffic was a mess.  Always have an alternative route.

We are going to Bayonne in Sept. for a Summit cruise.  Looking into Route 440 as an alternative.

1 hour ago, CarolRoy said:

Yes, it will be weekends. This past Sunday 6/9/19 we tried to use 14C (A,B, & C are in the same area) and they only had one lane opened after the toll to the turnpike extension from Route 78.  It was a mess.  We were going to Jersey City and used Turnpike North to an exit in Jersey City for the Holland Tunnel.  Even this traffic was a mess.  Always have an alternative route.

We are going to Bayonne in Sept. for a Summit cruise.  Looking into Route 440 as an alternative.

I was headed to Bayonne yesterday.  Coming in on 78, entry at 14 was backed up a half mile. Abc extension was down to one lane.  Definitely have alternate routes in mind..

Here's the deal. On weekends, the extension at Exit 14 is down to one lane as of now. It is a bit of a slowdown, but nothing that is unmanageable. Leave an extra half hour. That should be more than adequate. Since I live here, I know how to get around the traffic to save a little time. However, it is somewhat complicated. It involves going north on 1&9 and through Kearny and Jersey City. I would not recommend it to anyone not familiar with the area.

On 5/19/2019 at 11:53 AM, philpcruiser said:

If your coming up the NJ turnpike, you may save time getting off at exit 10, go through Staten Island to Bayonne Bridge and up 440 to Cape Liberty.

In the past I have exit# 13 in the back of my mind to use if I see a problem with exit#14.  So is it better to use Exit #10 if I have enough warning.

58 minutes ago, fred30 said:

In the past I have exit# 13 in the back of my mind to use if I see a problem with exit#14.  So is it better to use Exit #10 if I have enough warning.

Toss up.  Exit 10 sends you over the Outerbridge Crossing to Staten Island.  You stay on 440 all the way up over the Bayonne Bridge, up to Cape Liberty.  Exit 13 takes you over the Goethals Bridge (Rt. 278).  You still need to cross the Bayonne Bridge and go up 440 to Cape Liberty.

1 hour ago, fred30 said:

49 minutes ago, philpcruiser said:

Toss up.  Exit 10 sends you over the Outerbridge Crossing to Staten Island.  You stay on 440 all the way up over the Bayonne Bridge, up to Cape Liberty.  Exit 13 takes you over the Goethals Bridge (Rt. 278).  You still need to cross the Bayonne Bridge and go up 440 to Cape Liberty.

All else being equal I'd opt for Exit 13 and the Goethals Bridge, because that bridge is new structure with three lanes of modern width standards in each direction as opposed to the decrepit Outerbridge Crossing with its two substandard width lanes.

31 minutes ago, fred30 said:

Thanks for the replies.  Depending on the situation it may be better to jump off at exit#10 instead of chancing going up to #13.

Unless there's a horrific traffic jam on the NJ Turnpike between exits 10 and 13 you're much better off using 13. If you've never used the Outerbridge Crossing you have no idea how bad it is because the lanes are a full two feet narrower than those on the Goethals bridge.

Folks should know about the toll considerations as well so there are no surprises.

For exit 13 to Staten Island the NJ Turnpike tolls are $3 less, but the bridge toll is $15

For exit 10 to Staten Island the NJ Turnpike tolls are $5.45 less, but the bridge toll is $15.

Edited by 138east

Mostly this would be for an accident and stopped traffic, etc.   If this happens I may op to jump off at #10 even if I think #13 is still reachable.     Heavy traffic I would just use #14. 

We're usually don't get to the port until after 11am so traffic is not as heavy.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, CarolRoy said:

Any updates on Route 78 to 14 A, B, or C?

There is a lane shift in both directions, but as of now, there are two lanes open each way. The current construction  is in the middle behind barriers.  Not much delay anytime anyday. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bayonne Joe:  We take 14C when we see our daughter in JC.  Last month is was so, so bad.  Glad to hear it's moving again.  Will be going to the cruise port (Cape Liberty) Sept. 1.  Hopefully, it will be much better then.

On 5/19/2019 at 11:02 AM, shippmates said:

I would consider taking I-78 and avoiding the turnpike altogether. either that or turnpike to either exit 10 or 13 to 440 and over the Bayonne bridge.

5 hours ago, boo214 said:

I would consider taking I-78 and avoiding the turnpike altogether. either that or turnpike to either exit 10 or 13 to 440 and over the Bayonne bridge.

The Turnpike extension (14A-B-C ) is part of 78. It is still the best way to get to Bayonne when coming from south or central Jersey or PA.

8 minutes ago, bayonnejoe said:

The Turnpike extension (14A-B-C ) is part of 78. It is still the best way to get to Bayonne when coming from south or central Jersey or PA.

I totally agree for the out of towners.  I used to live in the area and have been back many times since.  Just suck it up and go from Exit 14 to 14A unless you’re coming from the south and want to throw $15 at the bridge toll to go through Staten Island as suggested by boo214.  I once made the mistake of getting off at exit 15E and doing the route 1&9 bypass to route 440.  Never again.

My experience on the turnpike extension is that the really bad backups can occur between 14B and 14C to get into the Holland Tunnel.  It’s about 3 miles from exit 14 to exit 14A.  Unless Waze shows it to be totally stopped, better to just do it.

43 minutes ago, bayonnejoe said:

yes I know that the turnpike extension is part of I-78. I thought the construction was on the turnpike between exits 13 and 14. apologies if I was mistaken