ms Volendam in Juneau May 17, 2019

Scrapnana

Volendam will be at the CT dock from 1300-2200.  She is the only ship in port.

Not the nicest of days forecast for Friday.  There is an 80% chance of rain although the prediction is for rain early and cloudy later in the day.  High will be 59F/15C and the low 44F/7C.  Sunrise is at 4:27 am and sunset at 9:23 pm.

The PTZtv webcam can be found at https://www.juneauharborwebcam.com/.

Next up:  One of my favorite ships, Queen Elizabeth will be making her maiden visit to Juneau on Saturday and there will be a good view of her at the AS dock.  There is a very rare HAL sighting in Juneau on Sunday with the visit of Maasdam.

1 minute ago, Happily@Sea said:

Passing Thane. Won't be long now.

It's usually about a 30-35 min ride from the entrance of Gastineau to the Juneau harbor approach. depending on weather/wind, current and opposing traffic. The two pilots onboard actually stay onboard and get two cabins behind the bridge; one works on the bridge with the navigators and quartermasters, while the other rests and so on. They board at Kake, AK and stay on until the Ketchikan stop

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

It's usually about a 30-35 min ride from the entrance of Gastineau to the Juneau harbor approach. depending on weather/wind, current and opposing traffic. The two pilots onboard actually stay onboard and get two cabins behind the bridge; one works on the bridge with the navigators and quartermasters, while the other rests and so on. They board at Kake, AK and stay on until the Ketchikan stop

I knew pilots had extended time on ships but never knew how many days. So from May 17-20 with arrival at Ketchikan.

Edited by Happily@Sea

1 minute ago, Happily@Sea said:

I knew pilots had extended time on ships but never knew how many days. So from May 17-20 at Ketchikan.

It's not a bad deal for them as someone sings our National Anthem

3 minutes ago, Happily@Sea said:

I knew pilots had extended time on ships but never knew how many days. So from May 17-20 at Ketchikan.

Yep; Southwest Alaska pilots will be onboard VODM between 16-20 May