Grand Patters Alaska 2019 and more.

masterty

On the grand now. 5/16-26/2019.  Internet is better than I have ever experianced on this ship. Will know more when I get further north but the first two days has been 2mb to 5mb download speeds with 1-3 upload with a constant connection. Better than the 0.01mb download speeds I am used to. Here are the Patters from embarkation. I will answer your other questions later when I am not otherwise occupied. 

16_1.thumb.jpg.381e156f64bef5b2b74151237efb2d6b.jpg

16_2.thumb.jpg.bfe26cbdccd5dbc62694b8f4a88b6386.jpg

16_3.thumb.jpg.0d7d6fa2f1f757f24c225b37e4567a97.jpg

16_4.thumb.jpg.b0b44f2c4b5555d963e6886ee2fc22b5.jpg

16_5.thumb.jpg.f7d89895b6a7c2288d719dcb95b05119.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Bella said: Thank you for the information,. Have you sailed on the Grand before? if so, can you tell

us the changes that you see besides the Salty Dog and Slice.  

Also is it true that they didn't fix the chairs in the Explorers Lounge or the lounges

outside the One5.   How did you find the food? I know everyone has difference tastes

but would like your opinion.

Thank You

I have sailed on the Grand two other times. California Coastal and Mexican Riviera. So I will try to compare from memory.

I have not been to places you asked about yet. I will report back about explorer and the area outside One5. 

I did notice the Vista lounge got an overhaul on carpet and upholstery however the huge soft spots in the floor along the back of the lounge were left unfixed. 

We all saw the wheelchair lift photos going into the princess theater. They added many more. All areas from the splash pool on 17 to mini-golf all have wheelchair lifts now. I have not yet visited deck 14 or the explorers lounge so will report back later. Crooners and Vista definately got a makeover. 

Edited by masterty

Dani24 said:

Thank you for sharing!

If you're able to share any of the Patters, that would be amazing.

Also which nights have which menu (to help with planning specialty dining, since we have two or three sets of vouchers for specialty dining). 

Here are your dinner menus. I missed Day 1 but here is Day 2. I will try and update them each night. 

DinnerD2_1.thumb.jpg.b4c52f0c6f1adc8ce319e488018151ed.jpgDinnerD2_2.thumb.jpg.a5ccf256a46274dcb8c72c8a3a46faff.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you very much Masterty for the patters and information now and later.

Hope the internet keeps working. Sometimes it does and then it doesn't.

Hope your enjoying yourself on the Grand. I love the Grand and have sailed

on her many times. Plus the crew has always been wonderful.

Thank you again.

Edited by Belle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, masterty said:

Also is it true that they didn't fix the chairs in the Explorers Lounge

We got off the Grand on May 6 and they did NOT add new cushions to the couches and some chairs in the Explorer’s Lounge.  They sink down the way they did in 2017.  We avoided them at all costs, opting for the chairs that are firmer and sit up higher. Others did the same thing.  They MAY have used new upholstery, but that does nothing for the integrity of the foam inside the cushions.  Those low couches are especially hard for seniors and folks with mobility issues.  Since the majority of our sailing fit that category, it was frustrating trying to find a comfortable seat, especially in a crowded venue. 

4 hours ago, masterty said:

Dani24 said:

Thank you for sharing!

If you're able to share any of the Patters, that would be amazing.

Also which nights have which menu (to help with planning specialty dining, since we have two or three sets of vouchers for specialty dining). 

Here are your dinner menus. I missed Day 1 but here is Day 2. I will try and update them each night. 

DinnerD2_1.thumb.jpg.b4c52f0c6f1adc8ce319e488018151ed.jpgDinnerD2_2.thumb.jpg.a5ccf256a46274dcb8c72c8a3a46faff.jpg

Will these be the same on the Coral princess? We sail mid June. Thanks, Bobbi

linsifer Thank you. Yes the chairs are terrible. Really sink in them. Always had to look for the chairs with the

scroll with the hole in the middle they were a little firmer ( very little) than the others.

Can't see why the didn't fix them.

25 minutes ago, Belle said:

linsifer Thank you. Yes the chairs are terrible. Really sink in them. Always had to look for the chairs with the

scroll with the hole in the middle they were a little firmer ( very little) than the others.

Can't see why the didn't fix them.

Yep.  The arm chair with the scroll/hole on the wooden back.  We tried to get the same two every night when we went in there to listen to Fee Fee and the Sentiments. We would watch folks come in, usually older, and sink down into the couches in back of us.  You could hear their dismay.  Sometimes they chose to sit elsewhere.   Also, since they were so low, it was difficult for them to see over everyone else.  Not sure why Princess chose not to bolster them up. 

Edited by Linsifer

Thank you so much, Masterty! This has already been helpful. My husband was excited to see karaoke in the afternoon instead of 10pm (which it was on the 2017 Grand patter). He’s not much of a night owl, but loves karaoke.

• Like 1

Spoke to the sound tech in the Explorers Lounge. He said during the dry dock the Explorers lounge got new speakers and new love seats. The barrel chairs and carpet are unchanged. I remember the love seats being different fabric but not this fabric. I sat in one and it felt more solid and flat. No sag. Pictures to help. 20190517_214601.thumb.jpg.db149bc4cc2b911f8ea69a5347a78426.jpg

20190517_214704.thumb.jpg.bfaeac90ba2281b8eb2f4c7103825504.jpg

20190517_214623.thumb.jpg.d10a2498dfbb9e8d7a5e0bc0d85a4d3b.jpg

• Like 1

Someone asked about One5. I remember black and white stripes. The layout including ashtrays on the starboard side look new. I could be wrong. Others can chime in. I also do not remember deck 15 forward to aft completely covered in green astroturf. 

20190517_221239.thumb.jpg.31d71cc694eac9852a5bb98fe9642b71.jpg

20190517_221248.thumb.jpg.65c1fe6555b5380a02dc021a60633c23.jpg

20190517_221329.thumb.jpg.52038642d015b59181beec9b71f77539.jpg

• Like 2

The One5 lounges outside are the same Masterty. Old cushions. Bet they didn't change the cushions either. 

Looks like less chairs on the non smoking side and put more on the smoking side. Don't know why?

Usually sailing from Calif. less smokers.

What they did last year was change the lounges..put the smoking side on the non smoking side,

then of course put the non smoking on the smokers side. Could smell it.  Why they did it. Who knows?

Read some place that they put new green turf on the ship during dry dock.

New couches inn Explorers, nice but why not new chairs they were worse then the couches.

Thanks very much for the pictures and the information.

37 minutes ago, bronzey214 said:

Now that you're north of Seattle, how's the internet holding up?

Below are all the speed test I have done since we left. (Except the bottom one)

The bottom one was from the Carnival Inspiration last week. Their internet was great. 

As you can see 3-5mb is holding up so far. I will continue to scan. I suspect Hubbard Glacier in a couple days will be the true test. 

Screenshot_20190518-114944_Speedtest.jpg

Edited by masterty

Masterty,

we will be taking our first Princess Cruise RT San Francisco to Alaska on June 5. We really appreciate your posts with the Patters and menus to help us know what to expect on board the Grand. Please keep it up, we’re following you on a daily basis. We’re almost afraid to read the menus, just in case they change something that we have our hearts and stomachs set on, though.

Thanks for the info on the WiFi. We had read so many negative reviews about WiFi even after refit, that we had decided not to purchase a WiFi package. Can you share which package you have? Will we be ok with the surf Package or should we upgrade to the top package?

Thanks!

Edie and Dale from the Mendocino coast.

Thank you so much for the patter, menu, and information. Have sailed on grand before and will sail on her soon for the same itenary. I will check back often. 🙂

Is the sea rough? How do you like the MDR food? Is the coffee card still paper card? From the patter it looks like there is not much music in piazza or on deck during the day time?

Thanks,

April

3 hours ago, greenman1168 said:

Can you share which package you have? Will we be ok with the surf Package or should we upgrade to the top package?

Thanks!

Edie and Dale from the Mendocino coast.

I purchased the premium plan x2. One for me and one for my DW. We are both enjoying our connectivity this trip. $139each pre buy or $189each on board. Of course you could share if you both dont need service simultaneously. 

2 hours ago, greenman1168 said:

I see they have cross stitch at 1 pm on day 3 of this voyage. Does anyone know if kits are provided and if there is a charge for this activity ?

I do not know anything about cross stitch. Saw a few in crooners doing it. I will ask should I see them again. 

2 hours ago, aprilsp88 said:

Is the sea rough? How do you like the MDR food? Is the coffee card still paper card? From the patter it looks like there is not much music in piazza or on deck during the day time?

Thanks,

April

Seas have been rough. About a 7 on a scale of 1/10. DW and I have been a little disappointed in the music onboard. Not enough music for our first 3 days. We often just sit and stare at each other waiting for some music to play somewhere. Self brought games are keeping us entertained. 

Love the MDR food so far. We are eating in Club class but that should not matter much. It is all the same stuff. Tonight is formal and we are going to hide out and eat in our room. Menu has already been delivered and here they are. 

D3-formal1_2.thumb.jpg.99fed46c9c61172b3642013366834897.jpg

D3-formal1_1.thumb.jpg.8504d2789be6ea4265a0ebf2bbebca03.jpg

D3-formal1_3.thumb.jpg.8094e1d2df0929fc858825b35e076736.jpg

D3-formal1_4.thumb.jpg.ca6fad6e04ae4463201eec3d9e1f33fc.jpg

Edited by masterty

Masterty,  Did Tlingit Kenneth White demo the carving of a totem pole in the Atrium?  He was advertised in one of Princess ad, saying he was on selected Alaska cruises to carve a totem pole.  Thanks for the heads up.