Favorite Vegetarian Options?

torybruno

On 5/19/2019 at 2:19 PM, torybruno said:

This will be my husbands first cruise as a vegetarian.  (About 5 months now!)  What are his best options?  What are your favorites?  Is it worth it to eat in one of the specialty dining rooms?

Hi, 

I am not vegetarian however every first Gala night in MDR I have the vegetarian truffled mushroom risotto, I think it is excellent.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

Hi, 

I am not vegetarian however every first Gala night in MDR I have the vegetarian truffled mushroom risotto, I think it is excellent.  

He did have it, and loved it!

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 10:15 PM, *Miss G* said:

Here is the Vegetarian Menu from @Crew News‘ site.  Your alternate dining options will depend on which ship you’re on.

OMG, I'm going to have to ask for the veggie menu the next time.  They all sound delicious and I'm not a big meat eater.  And I love spicy foot.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

OMG, I'm going to have to ask for the veggie menu the next time.  They all sound delicious and I'm not a big meat eater.  And I love spicy foot.

Ask for the Indian Vegetarian menu, different from the Vegetarian men.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2019 at 8:13 AM, torybruno said:

We are just back, and I thought I would follow up.  We ate in the main dining room every night, except the Pinnacle one night.  There was always at least one choice on the regular main dining menu that was vegetarian.

There IS a separate vegetarian menu, but my husband would have to preorder it the night before for the following night.  When Sanjay, the director was walking around one night, he approached our table and asked how everything was.  It was then, on the third night, my husband found out there is a whole other Indian vegetarian menu!  He was in heaven for the rest of the cruise!

Breakfast he almost always had steel cut oats, souped up with nuts, nutella, berries, etc.  Lunch options he did have the mushroom burger from Dive In, but mostly salads.  They also had almond milk for his coffee, and were bringing him olive oil for his bread by the third night.

Pinnacle was his least favorite night, he ordered two entrees, (mac and cheese and an eggplant dish), those, as well as my halibut were cold.  Sides were piping hot, but all three entrees cold.  Would not recommend the halibut in Pinnacle, but it was great in MDR.  

OH YAY! We LOVE Indian food (having lived in the UK for 15 years and twice travelled around India) and I always look forward to our South Pacific cruises to eat the Vegetarian Indian Thali most nights. 

If anyone could get a hold of the Indian Vegetarian menu - would love to see it - we are on the Zuiderdam for 29 days next year. 

4 minutes ago, shudie said:

OH YAY! We LOVE Indian food (having lived in the UK for 15 years and twice travelled around India) and I always look forward to our South Pacific cruises to eat the Vegetarian Indian Thali most nights. 

If anyone could get a hold of the Indian Vegetarian menu - would love to see it - we are on the Zuiderdam for 29 days next year. 

I have sent an email to a contact on the Westerdam to ask him to email me a copy of the menu.  My fingers are crossed that it will be honored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I have sent an email to a contact on the Westerdam to ask him to email me a copy of the menu.  My fingers are crossed that it will be honored.

Fantastic - thanks so much x

13 minutes ago, Crew News said:

If the email request does not work, I will get a copy on my December cruise and add it to my menu collection with a link on this thread.

thanks so much x

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

I now have the Indian Vegetarian Menus for all seven cruise days and will have them posted on my website by tomorrow at the latest.

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

Here is the link to HAL's Indian Vegetarian menus for 7-day cruises with a special thanks to the Westerdam:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/indian-vegetarian-menus-7-day

I will confirm that the same will be used for the Caribbean in December when I am aboard the Nieuw Statendam.

Wow - that was fast - thanks! 

Menu looks great. 

I hope they have some version of this  on the Zuiderdam. We are doing 29 day Baltic and Viking Passage next August - September. 

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

Here is the link to HAL's Indian Vegetarian menus for 7-day cruises with a special thanks to the Westerdam:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/indian-vegetarian-menus-7-day

I will confirm that the same will be used for the Caribbean in December when I am aboard the Nieuw Statendam.

Thank you you so much for doing this. Though not a vegetarian, I love vegetarian options. And now I know I have a couple of menus from which to choose.

• Like 1

I wish I had known about the vegetarian menu on our cruise last summer on the Maasdam. Oh well, there's always a next time.

One question---I can see how if you do fixed dining this would work, but how do you do it for anytime? Your wait staff would not know to bring the vegetarian menu to you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I wish I had known about the vegetarian menu on our cruise last summer on the Maasdam. Oh well, there's always a next time.

One question---I can see how if you do fixed dining this would work, but how do you do it for anytime? Your wait staff would not know to bring the vegetarian menu to you.

This is pure conjecture but do to the large number of Indian crew members aboard, this could be the same menu that is served in the crew dining area.  If that is true, you should be able to request the Indian Vegetarian Menu even with Anytime Dining.  In addition, if you take advantage of making a 3-day reservation, your waiter will be ready for you to order from this menu.

Somebody has to be the first one to to ask for the menu after reading this thread.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 10:15 PM, *Miss G* said:

Here is the Vegetarian Menu from @Crew News‘ site.  Your alternate dining options will depend on which ship you’re on.

When I asked about the vegetarian menu on the K’dam last November this is what they provided but when it came to actually ordering each night for the next day they gave me a photocopy of a different (smaller) menu to circle my choices on. It was a little disappointing as I was excited to try the expanded options. 

9 hours ago, gbsca2001 said:

When I asked about the vegetarian menu on the K’dam last November this is what they provided but when it came to actually ordering each night for the next day they gave me a photocopy of a different (smaller) menu to circle my choices on. It was a little disappointing as I was excited to try the expanded options. 

Did you ever inquire about the discrepancy between the printed menu and the smaller menu that you were allowed to order from?

11 hours ago, gbsca2001 said:

I wonder if you could have written in some choices? I will be asking to see the vegetarian menu in October, and if run into the same problem, I will try writing in my preferences. Will share anything I find out.

On 7/8/2019 at 8:09 AM, ontheweb said:

Did you ever inquire about the discrepancy between the printed menu and the smaller menu that you were allowed to order from?

I didn’t. I regret that a little but I didn’t want to inconvenience anyone and I got lazy.

I find that the regular menu works pretty well for me (except on any gala or formal night) and I can usually make substitutions that work for me. I also found that you can ask to see the next day’s menu when you’re leaving the dining room. I’d do that, then if the regular menu didn’t have anything for me, I’d order off the smaller vegetarian menu. Please let me know how it goes for you guys with the printed menu. I’d like to make an effort to use it this year. 

There are good vegetarian options on the menu in the dining room each evening.  This is something that HAL does very well. We like the pastas and the ethnic dishes, especially Indonesian.

• Like 1

We found that being vegetarian was easy on Niuew Statendam but vegan was slightly more difficult.  We were not eating in the MDR  - but half way through the cruise discovered that we could still order off the vegetarian and vegan menu the night before for the Lido - which was good to find out. No-one mentioned an indian vegetarian menu though - which we would have enjoyed.   As far as the buffet goes there was a good selection to choose from for vegetarians , but vegans had to work harder to assemble a meal from the various stands - the salad stand was always a good start point !   However I think HAL could very easily make small changes to their main offerings which would open many more items up to vegetarian and vegans - for example the stir fry is freshly made to order , so having wholewheat noodles rather than egg would immediately open up a vegan option without needing a special menu option. The pizza base is vegan so it's possible to order a Marinara - so why not just put that on the menu and be inclusive ? On land these days most people don't expect to have to give 24 hours notice of vegetarian or vegan options - and having seen the options served I think HAL could easily adapt their core offer to be available for all, without too much effort.