NCL vs Carnival

1 minute ago, Lupush said:

The only one that I've seen that comes close is "The Retreat" on the Celebrity Edge.  I'd imagine that Celebrity will be expanding this to all of their new ships and possibly retrofitting some of the older ones with it in dry dock.  

Thanks for the info.  I was checking prices for suites on CC and RCL vs Haven on NCL and they did not seem much less for a similar/same cruise.  Glad I know, as my wife would kill me if I said it was the same, but it missed.

1 minute ago, GA Dave said:

Thanks for the info.  I was checking prices for suites on CC and RCL vs Haven on NCL and they did not seem much less for a similar/same cruise.  Glad I know, as my wife would kill me if I said it was the same, but it missed.

I know this all too well, Dave!

30 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

I have had that question for a while.  I looked at both CC and RCL for their "Haven"-level cabins and did not find half the perks of the Haven mentioned on their sites.  Do any other lines have the completely separate area for suite-level guests like the BA and BA+ ships of NCL?  Separate restaurants, lounges, pool decks, sun decks, concierge, butlers?  I have seen many mentions to MSC's YC being similar to the Haven, but nothing about any of the other lines.  I know people mention some of the premium lines being all Haven-like, but we love having the mega-ship benefits of NCL's BA and BA+ ships, while still being able to escape to the Haven for that secluded feeling.  What do the CC and RCL suites offer?

On the bigger ships RCL have coastal kitchen for suite guests and a private sun deck but the solarium on both the Quantum and Oasis class are fantastic, they are open to all guests over 16 though , here is a link to suite perks

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-the-benefits-of-the-suites-program

29 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

I have had that question for a while.  I looked at both CC and RCL for their "Haven"-level cabins and did not find half the perks of the Haven mentioned on their sites.  Do any other lines have the completely separate area for suite-level guests like the BA and BA+ ships of NCL?  Separate restaurants, lounges, pool decks, sun decks, concierge, butlers?  I have seen many mentions to MSC's YC being similar to the Haven, but nothing about any of the other lines.  I know people mention some of the premium lines being all Haven-like, but we love having the mega-ship benefits of NCL's BA and BA+ ships, while still being able to escape to the Haven for that secluded feeling.  What do the CC and RCL suites offer?

Celebrity has separate dining for certain category classes (Concierge, Aqua, and Suite).  For example, they have an Aqua Class category for Balconies and that has exclusive access to a Blu Restaurant + additional perks.  They also have another separate restaurant + additional perks for Suite categories.  On Celebrity, I'll always book Aqua Class.  The Spa access is great, but its really about the Blu Restaurant for me - its comparable to the quality in the NCL Haven or Suite only restaurants. 

As for NCL vs Carnival.  There is no such thing as a bad cruise.  I've only sailed Carnival once (and it was over 10 years ago), but it is normally the cheapest cruise line, and for some that gives it a reputation.  I cruise based on itinerary, so I don't necessarily care what cruise line it is.  If everything was equal (price, itinerary, ship size, etc) I would choose NCL over Carnival, but that is just personal taste. 

43 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

On RCL you won't get the courtyard (notably private pool).  But you would get just about everything else.  Suite lounge, concierge, Coastal Kitchen restaurant (better than Haven restaurant), private VIP sun deck, reserved seating in theater, priority departure/tendering, etc.  Similar to NCL, you would need to make sure the ship you are looking at has the benefits you would like.  Not all ships have Coastal Kitchen, for example.

It's just different.  For example, you don't get the private courtyard, but on Oasis class you would get the private sun deck which is just above and between the pools and the solarium.  It's big, has a bar, loungers, regular chairs, wraps around with lots of views, shade and sun, and quick access to all the outdoor activities.  The solarium being adults only, you may prefer this over the courtyard and still have an exclusive, quiet, private suite area.  You can also walk right down to the regular pools and slides.  All very accessible to the suite deck.  The pools are obviously far superior to the courtyard, you have views of the ocean, and adults only solarium just a step away.

https://www.oyster.com/ships/233317-harmony-of-the-seas/photos/suite-sun-deck/

You might want to give it a shot some day.  Just know it's not going to be the same.  But honestly, the huge suite deck is better than the Haven 🙂

Carnival will not have what you are looking for nor will Celebrity (you are kind of like me, I like the "fun" stuff).  Since you like the "fun" mass market atmosphere, it's RCI and NCL with may MSC's YC to try out.

Edited by BNBR

55 minutes ago, debgreg said:

On the bigger ships RCL have coastal kitchen for suite guests and a private sun deck but the solarium on both the Quantum and Oasis class are fantastic, they are open to all guests over 16 though , here is a link to suite perks

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-the-benefits-of-the-suites-program

Thanks for the link.

• Like 1

We really enjoyed the Haven on the Getaway and are looking at doing the new Encore in the Haven next May headed for Bermuda (which we have never done). Did the Haven Spa suite, which has the awesome unlimited access to the Thermal Spa suites...loved that for cloudy days, etc! Plus I feel like NCL is really outstanding with the entertainment and looking forward to seeing the Broadway show, Kinky Boots plus Choir of Man and so on...Enjoyed all of the perks the Haven had to offer, and don't really think Carnival can compare at this point...

Edited by etravel

We usually sail NCL but we took 2 carnival cruises over the years and we prefer Norwegian. I won't go into all the reasons we like them better but will mention the few things we liked about Carnival. Our waiters were the absolute nicest that we ever had! We liked Guys burgers a lot..can't seem to get a decent burger on NCL and liked the Blue iguana too. Everything else we prefer NCL. Just our opinion...

I don't have a ton of experience on either line, but from what I've seen I'd echo a lot of the sentiments already stated.  The lines are far more alike than different.  

CCL wins for free lunch options, comedy shows, and size of inside cabins.

NCL wins for overall food quality especially if you get a specialty dining package as a part of your perks, stage shows, and quality of furnishings in cabins.  

It's a draw for me in service level and nightlife.  

The tipping point for me has been the condition of the ships.  In my own limited experiences, Carnival ships I've been on have been not well maintained.  I've consistently seen rust, peeling paint, broken hot tubs, things like that.  Not so much on NCL.  I also notice more kids on Carnival.  That's great for families and I have no problem with kids, but we prefer fewer tiny humans around if possible.  

I prefer NCL but that's a personal choice based, again, on pretty limited experience.  I'd sail Carnival again, but the primary selling point for NCL for me right now is price.  When the drink package is included as a perk, even with the mandatory gratuity, NCL cruises seem to come out ahead on overall price by a few hundred bucks over not only Carnival but also RCL and Celebrity.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Phaedrus78 said:

I don't have a ton of experience on either line, but from what I've seen I'd echo a lot of the sentiments already stated.  The lines are far more alike than different.  

CCL wins for free lunch options, comedy shows, and size of inside cabins.

NCL wins for overall food quality especially if you get a specialty dining package as a part of your perks, stage shows, and quality of furnishings in cabins.  

It's a draw for me in service level and nightlife.  

The tipping point for me has been the condition of the ships.  In my own limited experiences, Carnival ships I've been on have been not well maintained.  I've consistently seen rust, peeling paint, broken hot tubs, things like that.  Not so much on NCL.  I also notice more kids on Carnival.  That's great for families and I have no problem with kids, but we prefer fewer tiny humans around if possible.  

I prefer NCL but that's a personal choice based, again, on pretty limited experience.  I'd sail Carnival again, but the primary selling point for NCL for me right now is price.  When the drink package is included as a perk, even with the mandatory gratuity, NCL cruises seem to come out ahead on overall price by a few hundred bucks over not only Carnival but also RCL and Celebrity.

If your NCL sailings are cheaper than Carnival, I'd maybe consider NCL too.  When I book, NCL has been much more similar in pricing to Royal and NCL doesn't come close to having as good a product as the Royal megaships.

We like Carnival for their great product at a great price.  When the sailing is $2,000 or whatever cheaper and they have a really good product, it makes it an easy choice to go Carnival. Itineraries are usually more interesting too.  But for the same price all in, I'd probably prefer the NCL away class, too.  But when NCL is the same price as Symphony, there is no way I'm booking NCL. 

7 hours ago, davy jones said:

There was a period where a certain competitor of NCL had "ambassadors" on CC.  

They are still around (Including in this thread)....though they at least attempt to be a little more subtle about it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

If you want to know what NCL really is, you need to limit your options to Getaway and Breakaway.

"NCL" does not exist, neither does "HAL" unless you specify what ship.

HAL experience differs from ship to ship.

So does NCL experience.

The closest (but still different) experience to NCL Dawn is Carnival Miracle/Pride.

Happy cruising!

Very true and good point. It is like people saying this line is cheaper than another line. The actual ports, even if we are only talking a couple different, the class of ship, the size, and of course the sailing dates: A week or two can make a difference. Trying to compare isn't an easy thing, plus personalities and interests can make a difference. 

23 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

Very true and good point. It is like people saying this line is cheaper than another line. The actual ports, even if we are only talking a couple different, the class of ship, the size, and of course the sailing dates: A week or two can make a difference. Trying to compare isn't an easy thing, plus personalities and interests can make a difference. 

Yep. When I compare prices it is always for cruises from the same region doing a similar itinerary. Ship class/size/age does impact the price but I'm not inclined to pay more just to sail on a particular ship or in the newest ship.

I’ve had fun on my Carnival Cruises.  They were just a different “vibe” than my NCL cruises.  Some like the Carnival “Vibe”, some don’t.  Personally, it doesn’t bother me.  But, I can say Carnival knows their repeat customers, and continue to appeal to them.  That’s a good thing.

NCL has great entertainement...best at sea in my opinion.  Plus, their people are some of the nicest as sea.  They seem to always want to treat me well.  

Not that I don’t get that from  Carnival (or Royal).  NCL is just the better experience for me.

Plus, I love their ships.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Yep. When I compare prices it is always for cruises from the same region doing a similar itinerary. Ship class/size/age does impact the price but I'm not inclined to pay more just to sail on a particular ship or in the newest ship.

Now that a fully upgraded Oasis is coming to NJ, you may want to give that a try!