Packing suggestions/ Hacks

Shoppie124

On 5/20/2019 at 10:29 AM, Shoppie124 said:

Both actually.  I am a chronic over packer. you know the type 15 outfits for a 4 day trip.  I am really trying to do better and I'm' hoping other can share what they do!

Print out your itinerary. Make a list of what outfits you'd need for each day/night. Minimize shoes by making sure they work with multiple outfits. Make sure each top and/or bottom mixes with other items you are bringing. Bring a wrap to change up an outfit and/or adding warmth for cooler restaurants. Don't forget to bring something easy to throw on for a trip to the buffet in the am, a bathing suit (or two), closed toed shoes/sneakers because you may need them for something on the ship (like the Ropes Course) or an excursion. Flip flops for the pool and one coverup. And a hat and sunscreen. Just plan every outfit, really think it through. The advanced planning saves overpacking. Also, to keep organized in your cabin, pack a nylon hanging shelf in your suitcase and hang it in the closet. Perfect place for all the small things: evening bag, belts, bathing suits, underwear, socks, hats, etc... Have fun!

Edited by ggcruiser

Packing cubes and folding Kon Mari style was a game changer for me.  The best part is it is so easy to unpack leaving for time on that first day for fun!!  If you aren't familiar with the folding, go to You Tube and watch the videos.  

1 hour ago, rxlowry said:

Packing cubes and folding Kon Mari style was a game changer for me.  The best part is it is so easy to unpack leaving for time on that first day for fun!!  If you aren't familiar with the folding, go to You Tube and watch the videos.  

I try to be a very efficient packer LOL  I saw your post and went right to youtube to take a look at Kon Mari folding style and...go me! I actually pack just like she does, although I don't need to fold my clothes as small as she does since I use the larger packing cubes and all fit and a lot of my cruise evening wear are jumpsuits. 

Thank you though for this information!

Lets face it, we all create spreadsheets in our head, nothing wrong with putting it on paper.  Great idea.  I might actually do that for our upcoming cruise.  We travel a lot, so I don't know why I'm always freaked out about packing, but I am.  I lose sleep over it, and I have nightmares about it.  I'm serious.

OP: I have used an LL Bean Toiletry Bag for years. 

When leaving for vacation I just go through and top off what is needed.

Otherwise I am what most of you would call an over packer.  Not a jeans and t-shirt girl.

And I never take a carry on that can't fit under the seat.  A checked bag is part of my cost of any trip.

And yes, you can be stopped for prescriptions that are not in their original bottle.  But it's been many years snice that happened.

I have a special "database" for what I wear everyday of my life.  Her name is Judy (my DW).  :classic_biggrin:  She hangs all my coordinated outfits in the closet as she irons them and I just pull whichever is hanging on the left.'

I am so spoiled! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

Lets face it, we all create spreadsheets in our head, nothing wrong with putting it on paper.  Great idea.  I might actually do that for our upcoming cruise.  We travel a lot, so I don't know why I'm always freaked out about packing, but I am.  I lose sleep over it, and I have nightmares about it.  I'm serious.

If I am not packed at least one but usually at least two weeks prior to any trip, I do feel like you, but that is because I am very Type A. I don't have nightmares, but I do loose sleep thinking about it at 3:00 am that I still have to pack and I dream about packing. I now make sure I'm done about two weeks prior to a trip and use the rest of the time to relax and not stress coming home from work.  I also learned to try not to stress about my dh and dd, who pack the day (my dd sometimes the night) before a trip.  I'll "pack" my son-21, up but he gives me all his stuff and I put into packing cubes since he is usually in his own room/cabin with a friend on our trips.

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

I have a special "database" for what I wear everyday of my life.  Her name is Judy (my DW).  :classic_biggrin:  She hangs all my coordinated outfits in the closet as she irons them and I just pull whichever is hanging on the left.'

I am so spoiled! 

My dh has one of those too LOL her name is Joy.

BUT, I decided about two years ago to stop ironing ALL my/dh/family stuff before a trip.

Now I just bring to the dry cleaners and have them press it all.  Clean, they just press, dirty, they dry clean.  Saves me SO much time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, GA Dave said:

I am so spoiled! 

Where do I get one of those?!!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/20/2019 at 12:20 PM, ZsaZsa2019 said:

I love to overpack.  I love to have options.  Nothing worse than on the last day being left with one option to wear, and I swear I always feel fat in that one.  LOL  I pack then at the last minute throw a few more items in if there is room.  I panic and worry I won't have everything I want.

Shoes - yes that's always an issue.  I also read flip flops were not allowed, but since it sounds like they are, that will make life easier.

This is me 100%.  I make a list of the different outfits I'll wear each day and night, but then I have to throw in extras because I might change my mind about how I feel in something. I treat cruising like 7 date day/nights with my husband.  Love to get dressed up for dinner and have an excuse to buy new bathing suits, etc.  Might sound high maintenance, but with some luggage straps and muscle, I can maneuver my own over-packed luggage just fine.

If you are an over-packer like me, my tip is to save wire hangers from trips to the cleaners.  Cabins typically don't have enough hangers and a stack of wire ones takes up very little space in the front pocket of the suitcase. 

One thing I’ve done for camping and cruising is to take a hanging shoe holder with pockets that can hang from a door, shower rod or hook. 

We put all of our toiletries, meds, first aid, Yeti mugs, extra batteries, etc... in the pockets. Everything is out and accessible and not taking up limited space. 

Edited by careyayn22

6 hours ago, GA Dave said:

I am so spoiled! 

My husband has a better chance of getting thrown overboard by a purple gorilla before I do this for him😂😂😂😂

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Shoppie124 said:

My husband has a better chance of getting thrown overboard by a purple gorilla before I do this for him😂😂😂😂

Same with my finace. But if he wants to do it for me, I am definitely on board!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, TexasCruiser84 said:

This is me 100%.  I make a list of the different outfits I'll wear each day and night, but then I have to throw in extras because I might change my mind about how I feel in something. I treat cruising like 7 date day/nights with my husband.  Love to get dressed up for dinner and have an excuse to buy new bathing suits, etc.  Might sound high maintenance, but with some luggage straps and muscle, I can maneuver my own over-packed luggage just fine.

If you are an over-packer like me, my tip is to save wire hangers from trips to the cleaners.  Cabins typically don't have enough hangers and a stack of wire ones takes up very little space in the front pocket of the suitcase. 

I've always been able to get extra hangers on request on a cruise.  I just ask nicely the first day.  One less thing to drag along.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

On 5/20/2019 at 1:20 PM, ZsaZsa2019 said:

I love to overpack.  I love to have options.  Nothing worse than on the last day being left with one option to wear, and I swear I always feel fat in that one.  LOL  I pack then at the last minute throw a few more items in if there is room.  I panic and worry I won't have everything I want.

Shoes - yes that's always an issue.  I also read flip flops were not allowed, but since it sounds like they are, that will make life easier.

I pack the same way, but I have been trying to pack lighter. After 13 cruises I still haven't succeeded. Still working on it. Last 2 cruises I only wore about 1/2 of what I brought. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by ReneeFLL

On 5/23/2019 at 7:22 AM, GA Dave said:

I am so spoiled! 

I have to admit...

Johnny does the majority of my ironing for me (former military) in our everyday lives...

However, all coordination of outfits is completed by me 🙂

• Like 2

In the past I've bought large size zip-loc bags and put "fluffy" stuff in them.  Sit on them and seal them closed.  It looks funny doing it, but it works fine.  I've not seen them or looked for them lately but in the past they sold ones big enough to put a sweatshirt in.  You'd be amazed how flat they come out.

6 hours ago, gooch47 said:

In the past I've bought large size zip-loc bags and put "fluffy" stuff in them.  Sit on them and seal them closed.  It looks funny doing it, but it works fine.  I've not seen them or looked for them lately but in the past they sold ones big enough to put a sweatshirt in.  You'd be amazed how flat they come out.

Linda, check these out.  We bought them for our Getaway cruise last fall, but have used them for multiple trips since then.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07445ZPYF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My method of deciding what to wear each day.  I look in the drawer and whichever pair of Levi blue jeans happens to be on top of the stack is what I wear that day, along with whichever pair of underwear my hand hits first and whichever tshirt is on top of that stack.  White tube socks and sneakers and I am done.  So simple.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 10:17 AM, michelle224 said:

I'm a list freak.  Extremely organized. Borderline anal about it.  But it works!  Anyway, I create a spreadsheet and specify (1) what I'll wear during the day (swim suit or shorts & tank top at sea VS a casual cotton maxi dress for excursion days (I only do bus tours as I can't do a lot of walking) and (2) what I'll wear in the evening (dressy maxi dresses).  I make sure that I will wear everything twice. I send out my laundry to be done half-way through..  Enough workout sports bras, shorts, shirts, socks for half the cruise.  See attached.

clothes.GIF

I love the organization... what do all these maxi dresses look like?

15 hours ago, C cruise said:

I love the organization... what do all these maxi dresses look like?

They all have spaghetti straps.  The striped ones for excursion days are cotton, the others are synthetic (travel well).  I prefer those to shorts on excursions as I usually have to wear pain patches on my left leg and I prefer to keep it covered up.  Plus, they are very comfortable!  The cruise is still over a year out and I may change my mind about which dresses for excursions, but it will still be dresses.

60469300_10155874423875683_3188627125489893376_o - Copy.jpg

60483275_10155874423710683_6624098077454106624_o - Copy.jpg

60483275_10155874423710683_6624098077454106624_o.jpg

60530590_10155874423640683_2874083121098129408_o - Copy.jpg

60605224_10155874423800683_6320130004826980352_o.jpg

60639441_10155874423835683_7939905271868948480_o.jpg

60709544_10155874423655683_7123521126650609664_o.jpg

60386802_10155874423690683_862986150992674816_o.jpg