Packing suggestions/ Hacks

Shoppie124

I am looking for packing suggestions/ hacks for our upcoming cruise.  I've googled packing lists and didn't find one that I felt was all inclusive.  Bonus points if you can share a hack that you use!

One hack that comes to mind is pack toiletries that are near the end but have enough product for the period of your trip.  This way you can through them out, create suitcase space and not feel guilty. 

Here's a youtube video which almost, but not quite, mirrors the way I pack.  They seem to be packing quite a bit more than what I would take, like dresses, multi pairs of shoes, dress clothes, so what I pack will easily fit into a carry-on bag.  I do bring another small bag for my tablet, extra top, bathing suit and underwear, just in case. It's also where I put my toiletries rather than the larger suitcase since it makes it easier for flying. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Are you looking for advice on HOW to pack or WHAT to pack?

Both actually.  I am a chronic over packer. you know the type 15 outfits for a 4 day trip.  I am really trying to do better and I'm' hoping other can share what they do!

I pack black loose fitting trousers that will go with the tops I have packed in case of weight increase/ fluid retention :classic_ninja::classic_rolleyes:

I roll my clothes which I find makes them crease less.

I pack costume jewellery  in zip lock food bags so they don't tangle with matching earrings

I take photos of outfits together with the jewellery so I don't over pack and just put in a few spare tops in case.

I now take one pair of comfy heels in a colour that will go with all.

I pack shampoo/shower gel etc. wrapped in a plastic bags in my H shoes , I always leave after if I'm going home, the shampoo not his shoes :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shoppie124 said:

Both actually.  I am a chronic over packer. you know the type 15 outfits for a 4 day trip.  I am really trying to do better and I'm' hoping other can share what they do!

Here's my packing list for a 7-day sailing. Sorry if it gets a little personal:

Carry-on

• Passport

• eDocs

• Cash

• Medications:

• Prescription

• Omeprazole

• Vitamins

• Dramamine

• Excedrin

• Tylenol

• Gaviscon

• Sunglasses

• Kindle

• Chargers

• Underwear (x1)

• Socks (x1)

• Final Straw

• Chapstick

• Highlighter

• Playing Cards

• Shirt (x1)

• Swim Suit

• Cover-up

• Sandals

Bathroom Stuff

• Shampoo

• Dry Shampoo

• Comb

• Hair Spray

• Hair Gel

• Deodorant

• Toothpaste

• Toothbrush

• Razor

• Hair Ties

• Hair Clips

• Headbands

• Shower Caps

• Nail File

• Nail Clippers

• Bandaids

• Neosporin

• Foot Rest

Suitcase

• Whiteboard

• Cubbies

• Hamper

• Underwear (x6)

• Socks (x6)

• Strapless Bra

• Bras (x4)

• Shirts (x6)

• Pajama Pants (x3)

• Trail Pants

• Dress

• Sweater

• Spanx

I should specify that the "carry-on" in my list is a backpack that I carry on board with me. The "suitccase" is a carry-on sized roller bag that I check with the porter at the pier.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, debgreg said:

OMG How ?

Some people are cool with re-wearing the same clothes all week. I can't do it unless the ship has laundry facilities. I can always smell whatever the last restaurant was on my clothes otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, perditax said:

Some people are cool with re-wearing the same clothes all week. I can't do it unless the ship has laundry facilities. I can always smell whatever the last restaurant was on my clothes otherwise. 

I take something different for every day and for every night and for the pool and for the quiz :classic_biggrin: no wonder I use my H's allowance :classic_rolleyes:

26 minutes ago, debgreg said:

OMG How ?

I think the "secret" is to do laundry myself in my (usually studio) cabin on the third or fourth day

1 pair long pants

2 pair shorts

3 polo shirts

2 t shirts

4 pair underwear

4 pair socks

Small toiletries bag (with laundry soap packet)

Spare pair glasses

Embark and disembark with cap, jacket, sneakers and small case with passport/wallet, glasses, Kindle and pills

• Like 2

I really think it takes practice to pack small.  I started practicing this type of packing when my DH and I started doing long road trips, 3-6 weeks at a time. Sure the car has lots of space in the trunk but who wants to be lugging around huge suitcases every time you stop at a hotel? 

Start packing by putting things in the suitcase that you think you'll want.  Then go through everything and decide how important they really are to have on a cruise.  NCL requires no formal wear and you can get away with shorts and t-shirts in most venues.  If travelling light is going to work for you, you may need to rethink your packing style. 

Good luck. 

23 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I really think it takes practice to pack small.  I started practicing this type of packing when my DH and I started doing long road trips, 3-6 weeks at a time. Sure the car has lots of space in the trunk but who wants to be lugging around huge suitcases every time you stop at a hotel? 

Start packing by putting things in the suitcase that you think you'll want.  Then go through everything and decide how important they really are to have on a cruise.  NCL requires no formal wear and you can get away with shorts and t-shirts in most venues.  If travelling light is going to work for you, you may need to rethink your packing style. 

Good luck. 

I've read where athletic sandal and flip flops are not allowed in the dining rooms/ restaurants.  Then I've ready where you need sneakers for the ropes course.  Seems like my no frills idea of one pair of shoes won't work since I live in flip flops during the summer.

I totally  overpacked for my first cruise since I was worried about not having something I'd need. When I came back, I took a picture of all the things I didn't wear or use. Next cruise, I taped that picture to my suitcase while packing to remind myself.

For a week, I tend to take 1 pair of long pants and 3 pairs of shorts (actually knee length pants). I do take one shirt for each day because I sweat. I only take one pair of sneakers, which I wear to get on the ship. Once on the ship, I. switch to one of two pairs of sandals/flip flops. Depending on the cruise, I may take one dress (which goes with my sandals)

I use packing cubes, which transfer easily between my suitcase and the drawers in the room.

• Like 2

Just now, Shoppie124 said:

I've read where athletic sandal and flip flops are not allowed in the dining rooms/ restaurants.  Then I've ready where you need sneakers for the ropes course.  Seems like my no frills idea of one pair of shoes won't work since I live in flip flops during the summer.

That's an easy fix as far as I'm concerned; you pack your flip flops and wear your sneakers to board. Don't worry about the dining room footwear, it's rare that anyone says anything about it.  There are 2 dining venues where you might want to dress up a bit, aft MDR and LeBistro (long pants and collared shirt for men with sneakers is fine though) 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Shoppie124 said:

Sneakers are allowed in any dining venue, so if you are concerned about venues not allowing flip-flops, then wear your sneakers. As another poster suggested, wear your sneakers to board and then switch into flip-flops later. I always bring exactly two pairs of shoes with me: A) my sneakers, which I wear for embarkation/debarkation and actually most of the time on the ship and B) a pair of sandals that can pass for "dressy" when worn with a dress to a specialty dining venue but also casual enough to wear with my swimsuit to the pool/spa.

My sandals look similar to this but they have a back strap on them:

Image result for cream crochet sandals

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

I love to overpack.  I love to have options.  Nothing worse than on the last day being left with one option to wear, and I swear I always feel fat in that one.  LOL  I pack then at the last minute throw a few more items in if there is room.  I panic and worry I won't have everything I want.

Shoes - yes that's always an issue.  I also read flip flops were not allowed, but since it sounds like they are, that will make life easier.

• Like 1

Take less.  Use the ship’s laundry service to keep from overpacking.

Use pants/shorts more than one wearing/day.  Match two tops/shirts with each pair of pants/shorts.  Don’t over pack toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, soaps.  Pack travel sizes.

Roll all your clothes to pack then instead of folding them.

Buy packing cubes.

• Like 1

Just finished packing for my Alaska 7 day. 

In the 20 inch suitcase:

1 pr capri

1 jeans

1 pajamas set

3 quick-dry underwear

2 - 20 oz Thermos insulated cups

2  - 11 inch folded cubes from the dollar store to put on closet shelves.

1 pr flat sandals

1 pr flip flops to use as slippers and pool shoes

3 long sleeved t-shirts

2 short sleeved shirts

1 thin rain jacket

In my small carry on backpack:

Bandaids etc.

Socks (because I am waiting for a few pairs to dry yet so they didn't get in the suitcase)

Sunglasses

Camera/lenses

Washbag for deo, toothbrush, etc. I just use the ship shampoo and soap

Hairbrush/pontytail holders

Magazines and a paperback book

I will wear a pair of jeans on the plane so in essence I am bringing 2 pairs long pants and one short.

That's it.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

What you are looking or are tips.  Hacking is something entirely different! LOL. 

Tip #1:  Pack for your cruise, then before you close your suitcase take out ½ of what you initially packed.

Tip#2:  Find a Marine to pack for you.  He knows the proper way to pack.  I can easily pack everything for a group of five for a seven day cruise in a total of two standard size suitcases and have all of the clothing  fully wearable right out of the suitcase.
Tip #3: Pack absolute essentials in your carry on as well as your bathing suit and one change of clothing.  Packed correctly that should easily fir into a small carry on bag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

I love to overpack.  I love to have options.  Nothing worse than on the last day being left with one option to wear, and I swear I always feel fat in that one.  LOL  I pack then at the last minute throw a few more items in if there is room.  I panic and worry I won't have everything I want.

Shoes - yes that's always an issue.  I also read flip flops were not allowed, but since it sounds like they are, that will make life easier.

Me too, I like options 😂😂😂

5 minutes ago, gizfish said:

Best advice is gather all the things you want to pack and then remove half.  Then gather all the money you think you may spend and double it.

Hah, I tried this one on my first cruise ever. Ran out of clean clothes.

Like all 'easy' sounding advice, it's best to apply some common sense. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gizfish said:

Best advice is gather all the things you want to pack and then remove half.  Then gather all the money you think you may spend and double it.

I totally agree, especially about the money!