First Suite experience recap

16 minutes ago, Bradison said:

And there we have the reality of the situation.  In my opinion.

I think some are looking at this issue emotionally...as to who deserves what. I have a different perspective.

RCCL has made a lot of changes in their business model in recent years, in order to attract the suite customer...Star Class, for example...saved areas...Royal Genies etc. In the past, their emphasis seemed to be on repeat customers, loyalty customers...not luxury customers. Now they are trying to do both.

But their generous loyalty program may have been so successful that the sheer numbers of Loyal customers may be creating problems for the Suite customer...many of whom are looking for more of an exclusive environment.

It will be interesting to see what happens next. And it will absolutely be a business decision, not an emotional decision...based on who deserves what. It will be decided by what’s in the company’s best interest. So why discuss it emotionally here?

My only question is...which group would find it easier to go elsewhere? I bet that’s being discussed in corporate offices.  Complaints have value...better that customers express their issues “with their mouth...rather than their feet.” 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

With 90+ full suites, I'll bet suite occupancy rates vary quite a bit depending on the time of year, so they really aren't that fixed. 

That's a fact, not an opinion

No problem, then adjust the number of Non Suite P’s permitted. I just picked 25 out of the sky. I don’t know the best number. Certainly it’s not 250 and I hear 30-45 can be an issue. We had 4 cruises with 15 or fewer and had no issues (I did witness those looks at the children). If fewer Suite passengers, then add a few more P’s. If more Suites, then reduce the number of P’s. 

Opps. Forgot In my opinion 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

I wonder how many Suite guests use SL for “free drinks”.   I have no data, of course.  My suspicion is it’s quite low.   Taking away a lounge that’s used as a comfortable gathering place won’t make much of a difference.  Taking away or limiting “free drinks” could cause an uproar.   

52 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Where did I say that. I thought you carry your spouses status, do you not (points)?  Are you not recognized together??  

What am I missing?

If you use a hard number, Laura might be #25 and I could be #26.

I just feel your plan needs tweaking. 😉

And in my opinion, a PR nightmare

1 hour ago, Bradison said:

I didn't know that you could get free cruises to magically earn Pinnacle status.  Maybe that is because you can't.  Even using the bonus points and conversion calculations, a lot of $ were spent attaining that status.  Why is that so easily dismissed?  

Bottom line is that RCI has a feature/benefit and they have decided to offer it to a valued customer (high $ suite or long term loyal customer) in a way they have determined benefits them.  Not much different than how they have one or two flowriders on ship to attract any or all cruise passengers.  If I show up and the flowrider has a huge line do I run to cruise critic and complain that my paid for attraction was unfairly monopolized by the people that got there ahead of me?  No, it is what it is.  Does it matter that I am in a JS and the people in front of me are in a deck 3 inside stateroom and live within walking distance of the port? No.

I would really like to know how many times this precious piece of ship space has been so crowded that a eligible guest has been turned away and couldn't get their precious free drink.  If the place was overflowing with people was there an attempt to try again after dinner (assuming the visit was combined with a trip to CK) and again get rebuffed?  How big of an issue is this?

It was a little tight on the President's cruise last year, but there were 250+ Pinnacles.

In my experience,  a typical Caribbean cruise rarely has more than 60

57 minutes ago, hazence said:

I think some are looking at this issue emotionally...as to who deserves what. I have a different perspective.

RCCL has made a lot of changes in their business model in recent years, in order to attract the suite customer...Star Class, for example...saved areas...Royal Genies etc. In the past, their emphasis seemed to be on repeat customers, loyalty customers...not luxury customers. Now they are trying to do both.

But their generous loyalty program may have been so successful that the sheer numbers of Loyal customers may be creating problems for the Suite customer...many of whom are looking for more of an exclusive environment.

It will be interesting to see what happens next. And it will absolutely be a business decision, not an emotional decision...based on who deserves what. It will be decided by what’s in the company’s best interest. So why discuss it emotionally here?

My only question is...which group would find it easier to go elsewhere? I bet that’s being discussed in corporate offices.  Complaints have value...better that customers express their issues “with their mouth...rather than their feet.” 

You may see new ship designs with Icon.  Spectrum has many Suite tweaks not found on the original Quantum ships, so we may see other changes on Odyssey.  No idea

56 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

No problem, then adjust the number of Non Suite P’s permitted. I just picked 25 out of the sky. I don’t know the best number. Certainly it’s not 250 and I hear 30-45 can be an issue. We had 4 cruises with 15 or fewer and had no issues (I did witness those looks at the children). If fewer Suite passengers, then add a few more P’s. If more Suites, then reduce the number of P’s. 

Opps. Forgot In my opinion 

Do you really think Royal can control body language. 🤔

48 minutes ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

I wonder how many Suite guests use SL for “free drinks”.   I have no data, of course.  My suspicion is it’s quite low.   Taking away a lounge that’s used as a comfortable gathering place won’t make much of a difference.  Taking away or limiting “free drinks” could cause an uproar.   

FWIW, I've always felt that Suite passengers should be entitled to the same 3 free drinks loaded on their cards as Diamond and up do.

I don't however, feel they should be allowed access to the DL's.  

But then again, I'm not in the position to change policy 

53 minutes ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

I often sat at the bar on Oasis. In my observations,  I felt most of the suite guests were taking advantage of the free booze.  I mean, why else would they settle for New Amsterdam.  🤔 😉 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Andy C said:

I can tell you from firsthand experience that children are not welcome in the Suite Lounge and CK and in particular by the owners of the ship (you'll know who they are by the little gold lapel pins).

The staff is another story - they will fawn over your children and play with them and high five them.  Many of them have children and they see their children in yours.  They are real special people.  Your family will form a bond with them.  

Godspeed on Allure in late September.  You will be on a ship and time that should be prime for NSPPs.  

We have never gotten the evil stares bringing my son in SL.  Or maybe I am on vacation and do not realize people are staring at us.

On the other hand I have been stared at and been told that the DL is for those with access only a few times.  

Since I am a shareholder of RCL, technically it makes me an owner of the ship 😉 right? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First time RC guests. Since it will be our anniversary, I secured a Junior Suite. Other than the cabin square footage being a tad larger, and having a tub/shower, I am not getting the "perk". Since I booked recently, I am not getting the good seating time, or reservation to the aqua show. But I will enjoy the cruise for what it is. July will be here soon!!!

• Like 1

• Clarea locked this topic