Book Exchange

Gitmo

The exchange has shrunk greatly since many of us travel with Kindles rather that the weight of the many books we always had years ago.I would not count on your finding much to your taste.

The library is usually well stocked with newer novels and many travel books.

54 minutes ago, orchestrapal said:

The exchange has shrunk greatly since many of us travel with Kindles rather that the weight of the many books we always had years ago.I would not count on your finding much to your taste.

Thanks for the tips !  Happy cruising .

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I travel with a bunch of old pulp mystery magazines. I usually try to donate them as we go--land or sea. They are small and light and have about 6-8 short mystery stories in them (old Ellery Queen Mystery Mag for anyone who might remember). Each one is light but since I carry 10-12 with us, the total can be heavy! I have been keeping them for the time when I can read them, which turns out to be when we travel. 

We are travelling for the first time on Insignia in November. Would adding my (old but still very good shape) mystery mags be a bad thing on Oceania?

Thanks for any advice.

ML

The library on Insignia (as with the other three R ships) has one relatively small bookcase space where book exchange is centered. I can't remember ever seeing any kind of magazines filed in that space or distributed on any of the small library tables. 

IMO, as much as you might enjoy these pulp magazines, you probably won't find many takers on Oceania ships, particularly since so many people have turned to E-readers with books and their own magazine subscriptions downloaded.

Of course, I could be wrong(?)

On 5/20/2019 at 2:39 PM, orchestrapal said:

My experience is the same - exchange is minimal at best as e-readers are now the norm.

Have to say still like love the whole tactile feel of books and travel with at least one every trip, that I usually leave behind.  I also love it when I get to read North American magazines that have been left in the library or concierge lounge.  My husband especially loves any car magazines that have been left.  Sometimes we are lucky and the variety to choose from is great.  So yes, a few of us still enjoy both books and magazines in hard copies and not on e readers.....cheers Vicki

• Like 1