AMEX Platinum Benefit

PSULion

Don't know about your country.

"No longer available to Canadians"--unless you book the cruise through AMEX's in-house agency.

(This is not attractive to us, as the plat benefit is $200-$300 "the end", whereas my TA rebates more than that.)

Not sure what you mean by 'recent,' but we received it with no problems for our Jan. 2018 Azamara cruise.  We have gotten it in the past on both Azamara and Celebrity; then Celebrity dropped out of the program – but now they are back in.  For US bookings, the fine print seems to limit it to certain Amex travel agents – but I have been able to get it from a non-Amex TA with no problems.  [It's one of the benefits that makes the Platinum card a 'no-fee' deal for me.]

11 hours ago, PSULion said:

That is recent enough! My agent doesn't seem to have much luck adding it, and I am not sure why exactly.

John R.

Is it a straight plat card from Amex (my US TA says those US cards usually work) or is it a co-branded card (with an airline or some such... he says those generally do not work)?

I had no problems getting the Amex Platinum benefits on my upcoming cruise. And I did not book directly with Amex. The agent who makes the booking can contact American Express after the booking is made with Azamara.

It is a straight AMEX Plat, not a co-branded card, so I am thinking it should work. Back to the TA.

I have the $500/2:1/Free WiFi promotion, so maybe that is the issue.

John R.

You are supposed to get a $300 OBC, a premium bottle of champagne, and some sort of behind the scenes ship tour (this is Azamara specific and each cruise line is different). I think it is for USA based cardholders only based on some other posts I have read, but I am not certain.

I am not even sure Azamara participates anymore, but it looks like they do for USA issued cards:

https://www.americanexpresscruise.com/cruises/promos/amex/shopping/cruise_privileges_program.jsp?cobrand=15558&webpagerecno=2357

Edited by PSULion
Change link.

Since it comes from Amex, it has nothing to do with the deal you get from Azamara.  It is for straight Amex Platinum – not for most co-branded 'Platinum' cards [e.g. Delta] but does come with Schwab co-branded Platinum [which has the same $550 annual fee, but you get $100-$200 credit to your Schwab account every year as well as ALL other benefits of the regular Amex Platinum card].

That's interesting, I read somewhere that it is the cruise line offering the perks, which did seem strange. I figured it was a negotiated benefit between AMEX and the cruise lines, paid by AMEX or at least shared.

I'll dig in further with my agent, who doesn't seem overly familiar (or interested) in securing the AMEX perks.  Thanks, John R.

Hi John,

We used the platinum benefit on our January 2018 cruise with no problems and received the $300 OBC, champagne and behind the scenes tours in addition to the Virtuoso amenities provided by our agency.  This benefit is available more than once thru the year.  Your booking has to be registered with amex and be sure that your booking is combinable.  I hope this helps.

Robin

Does this link help you? It took a couple of minutes to find

https://www404.americanexpress.com/ctn/authreg/axtraweb/BookingInstructions.do?app=mapsasd&flag=bi&promotionid=16541

edit- I am not sure why the link is saying to phone Oceana. My path to the page was through a generic link. Perhaps some of the info on the process will be helpful?

Edited by MNgardens

I have read you can have a (helpful)  travel agent "re-pay" your deposit with the AMEX Platinum card and request the benefit. Not sure if you are aware, but the annual fee is $550, albeit with a host of benefits that substantially offset the cost, and includes many airport lounges. John R.

We have not sailed yet, but have booked and payed with the Platinum card and have received the OBC.  You must make sure the travel agent is approved by AmEx. Even then, some don't want the extra paperwork involved.  Make sure your specific agent will process for you.

27 minutes ago, PSULion said:

I have read you can have a (helpful)  travel agent "re-pay" your deposit with the AMEX Platinum card and request the benefit. Not sure if you are aware, but the annual fee is $550, albeit with a host of benefits that substantially offset the cost, and includes many airport lounges. John R.

I was able to do that on a recent Windstar cruise and received the AmEx extras, OBC - Champaign and some choc covered strawberrys, but Windstar charged a $50 change fee.

35 minutes ago, Communik8r said:

We have not sailed yet, but have booked and payed with the Platinum card and have received the OBC.  You must make sure the travel agent is approved by AmEx. Even then, some don't want the extra paperwork involved.  Make sure your specific agent will process for you.

Hi, do you know if we have to use a TA?  I recently booked directly with Azamara in the US and paid with my AMEX Platinum, and have not sailed yet.  Wonder if I can apply the benefit?

I am not sure if Azamara will do that (they should), but if not, transfer the booking to an agent/agency that will. I don't specifically know how to do that, but I'm sure others will chime in (I always book with an agent--you probably should too as it seems high producing agents/agencies offer much better OBC and other benefits well beyond Azamara direct bookings). John R.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alexandermaximo said:

Hi, do you know if we have to use a TA?  I recently booked directly with Azamara in the US and paid with my AMEX Platinum, and have not sailed yet.  Wonder if I can apply the benefit?

You do not have to use a TA.  Call Azamara and tell them to get you the AmEx Platinum benefits.  Check out PSULions's post above for the details of Azamara's AmEx benefits.  Note it has to be a Platinum and not a partnered, like Delta Airlines Platinum.  Morgan Stanley, Schwab or other financial partners works, but "Points" like Delta or Marriott don't.

• Like 1

Here is a summary if the link didn't work:

Participant Offer Details
Valuable benefits and amenities for Platinum Card Members and Centurion Members.

Benefits
Platinum Card Members and Centurion Members receive benefits on select sailings of 5 nights (6 days) or more.

• $300 USD Shipboard Credit per stateroom
  • Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Tour
  • One bottle of premium champagne delivered to stateroom once per cruise

One extra Membership Rewards point on each eligible dollar you spend per booking with American Express Travel.
Single passengers who pay the single passenger supplement are entitled to the full CPP amenity.
Please see the terms and conditions below for complete details.

Eligible Card Members:

• Available for U.S. Platinum Charge Card Members and U.S. Centurion® Members only, and excludes Platinum Credit Card Members such as Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Card Members who are not also U.S Platinum Charge Card Members or U.S. Centurion® Members.

Combinability

• Combinable with American Express Mariner Club.
  • Combinable with discounted promotional fares, onboard booking program, back to back program and loyalty program.
  • Not combinable with other American Express Card offers: American Express Card offers and Amex groups.

Full Cruise Privileges amenities will be provided by Azamara on each individual segment booked by the Card Member.
CPP benefits apply to one segment only on back-to-back and multi-segment itineraries.
Applicable for bookings made on or before December 31, 2020, and travel must end on or before December 31, 2023.
Bookings must be made in the United States.
To obtain benefits, outside Travel Agencies must visit www.americanexpress.com/asdonline
Offer is subject to cruise line availability.

• Thanks 1

We usually get this benefit with various cruise lines, including AZ.  However...there have been times when our TA told us it could not be combined with other benefits.  So not 100% available.

22 hours ago, Trend said:

Definitely not available to Canadians as I fought about this with Amex two cruises ago.

Their reply was it is only for US card holders

...and that's why I won't be renewing my Plat card. I figured a couple of these discounts would cut the C$700 fee nicely. Card not worth it to me otherwise.

• Like 1