Royal customer service epic fail

It's much better for them to have the cabin get cancelled.  Not only do they get that revenue they can resell the cabin or up-sell the cabin.  This creates a lot of revenue for them as each chain created from an up-sell can give them a big boost in revenue.   

This is a little bit different situation but I'm just throwing it out there.

My friends mother and step-father were booked for a RC cruise. 2 weeks before the cruise, her mother died. They did not have insurance. RC gave them a full refund upon receipt of her mother's death certificate.  I was worried they were SOOL since they didn't have insurance but they did get a full refund.

I always buy insurance for my cruises. Mostly for medical purposes, but also bc I like the peace of mind of having CFAR coverage in case of emergencies (like OP's friend). For my upcoming Mediterranean cruise, it was almost $400 a person but to me, the $400 cost of coverage is better than being out all the money for my cruise, hotels, airfares, etc. 

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't buy travel insurance. If I couldn't afford to lose the money I would not be spending it on a cruise but on the necessities of life. Insurance companies love it when people insure themselves for every possible lose they can think up. How do you think those companies make money? It is fine that you choose to insure your travel. That is right for you. It doesn't make it right for everyone. Your post seems to imply that it is stupid not to insure.

Even in the penthouse suite?  Seems like if you spend  $5,000 to $10,000 another $200 would be chump change.  Not trying to argue with you at all.  But I can see why no insurance on an inside or Oceanview would not be as risky.

Edited by parrotfeathers

1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

Even in the penthouse suite?  Seems like if you spend  $5,000 to $10,000 another $200 would be chump change.  Not trying to argue with you at all.  But I can see why no insurance on an inside or Oceanview would not be as risky.

The situation is different for everyone. My point is that not insuring doesn't somehow make a person careless or reckless. You do realize that with the number of cruises some people have under their belts than an extra $200 on every cruise eventually add up to more than just chump change, right?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, cbowls30 said:

Hi all

We are due to sail on Saturday, we have two cabins booked (4 adults). Our friends mother is seriously ill in hospital (gone in yesterday) and it's unlikely she will survive into next week. As you can appreciate my friend cannot potential travel in Saturday but won't decide this until Friday. I have just spoken to royal Caribbean as my friend suggested that If we have other friends who can take the cabin and just pay name change she's happy with that, this apparently is not ok with Royal Carribbean, then say that it's 100% cancel and rebook if both people in the cabin don't travel, apparently you can only cancel one passenger in a room?! How ridiculous! Her husband is not going to go without her! FUMING they just want to resell the cabin and make twice the profit!! Disgusting Royal Caribbean.

this more of a "Passenger not knowing what they signed up for" Fail

this is why many of us purchase trip insurance

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Shop around.  The price for medical only will be substantially cheaper in many case.

for example I can get medical for about family of 4 on an annual policy for under $200.  Cancellation and interruption insurance runs about 10 to 15% of the vacation cost.

Yep I buy medical and med evac only. Usually a a few days or a week before the cruise. Harmony was $28 for me solo, and $41 for two of us on the Symphony. 

7 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

To stop cruise bookings from showing up on eBay.

Who in their right mine would buy a cruise booking on ebay?!

Even if that was an option or feasible, I would never in a million years think that would be a sound decision.

5 minutes ago, nanowerx said:

Even if that was an option or feasible, I would never in a million years think that would be a sound decision.

I am no longer amazed by what my fellow humans choose to do....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

I am no longer amazed by what my fellow humans choose to do....

2 hours ago, nanowerx said:

Cruises are already sold on ebay, and amazon, and many other sites

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.Xcruise+vacation.TRS0&_nkw=cruise+vacation&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=cruise

The point being made is that it would create a scalp market where people would buy up all the best rooms/itineraries when first release, add x markup and then sell them for profit and just have to call up RC and change the name on the reservation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1