A Change in Suite Amenities – Specialty Restaurant Reservations -

Eno-Bob

1 hour ago, LynnRuns said:

Here is the link to the Distinctive Suites on Regent. 

https://www.rssc.com/experience/suites/distinctive-suites

See my post #6 - I already copied the pertinent section that you linked and there are questions (as evidenced by the posts that follow mine).  However, if you have a definitive answer on this topic, please share!

On 5/30/2019 at 9:41 AM, Travelcat2 said:

So, since the website has been updated to include the blurb about "Distinctive Suites", one must assume that the other information is up to date as well.

Older information may not be quite right either.  In reading about the Explorer it is mentioned that its Grand Suites have two full baths.  Our Grand Suite on the Explorer last November/December had a shower, sink and toilet but no tub.  Not exactly two full baths as mentioned.

59 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Older information may not be quite right either.  In reading about the Explorer it is mentioned that its Grand Suites have two full baths.  Our Grand Suite on the Explorer last November/December had a shower, sink and toilet but no tub.  Not exactly two full baths as mentioned.

Unfortunately, you are right.  In my opinion, the suite photos and layouts were much better (and more accurate) before.

6 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I feel that this is being blown completely out of proportion.  Passengers in these suites do not book a reservation every night even though they can.  Can you imagine booking Prime 7 on the Navigator every night?  It would make me crazy.

But it might just be the factor that persuades me to book a distinctive suite (in preference to a grand, deluxe, concierge or whatever other marketing hype is applied to the suite of my choice).  Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but didn't you dine in the speciality restaurants on most evenings of your most recent cruise?  I need to know exactly which suites will include that perk in order to take advantage of it.

11 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

In any case, I feel that this is being blown completely out of proportion.  Passengers in these suites do not book a reservation every night even though they can.  Can you imagine booking Prime 7 on the Navigator every night?  It would make me crazy.

Flossie - not sure why you need a definitive answer on this topic.  It is what it is and should not have any bearing on your ability to book a specialty restaurant.  In my opinion, it only affects passengers on 7-10 night cruises since Regent makes a big effort to provide passengers the ability to book one reservation in each specialty restaurant.

Some of us are interested in this topic and would like some clarity on Regent's marketing department words on the website, email and Society Pages.

Those who are not interested and have no authoritative information can simply ignore the thread.

Edited by flossie009

3 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Some of us are interested in this topic and would like some clarity on Regent's marketing department words on the website, email and Society Pages.

Those who are not interested and have no authoritative information can simply ignore the thread.

Interesting response.  You asked questions about the guaranteed dining policy and I made a point to thoroughly answer your questions and gave my opinion that this policy (that has been in place for quite a while) would not affect your ability to dine in specialty restaurants.  You did not indicate any interest in exactly which suites have this policy or wanting to book them.  

For some reason you feel that I'm not interested or "have no authoritative information"........... Respectfully, it is rare when any of us have "authoritative information" but we all post based on our personal experiences to help others.  So, to be clear, I am interested in this information because we stay in upper suites (and we are booked in an Explorer and Splendor suite).  The only suite category in question is the Explorer/Voyager/Splendor/Mariner/Navigator suites since the suites in categories above that (Regent, Master and Grand) already receive the benefit.

Silver Sweethearts - yes - you are right - did not notice that.  I still have the book from when the Explorer was in its inaugural season - when the current Explorer suites were Seven Seas Suites (and the Explorer suites became Grand Suites).  They likely did to update the website.  Guess I didn't realize how many errors there were.

Gilly - I addressed your comment about how many times we dined in a specialty restaurant on our last cruise in a previous post on this thread.  It was my DH's birthday (a significant one) and he made all dining decisions.  This was definitely not a typical cruise.  When we are back on Explorer later this year, with the exception of Pacific Rim, we will likely only dine in specialty restaurants a couple of times.  

• Like 1

I agree with others that that this perk while nice to those that book a higher end suite (we prefer a Grand Suite for many reasons).  However we like variety, so eating in a speciality restaurant every night just isn't going to happen.  After a few nights of eating large meals (even in Compass Rose) you'll find us eating a very light meal in our suite watching a movie.  I mean how much steak can you eat or rich French food can one eat night after night-it just isn't going to happen.  

I should have suggested that those of you that want an explanation about the discrepancy between the website and the Seven Seas Society newsletter should simply call Regent and ask.  It is a lot easier than arguing about it on CC (where none of us really know the answer).  

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 1:21 PM, Travelcat2 said:

I should have suggested that those of you that want an explanation about the discrepancy between the website and the Seven Seas Society newsletter should simply call Regent and ask.  It is a lot easier than arguing about it on CC (where none of us really know the answer).  

That's never stopped any of us from posting replies before, why should it start now?   :classic_laugh:   :classic_biggrin:   :classic_tongue:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

That's never stopped any of us from posting replies before, why should it start now?   :classic_laugh:   :classic_biggrin:   :classic_tongue:

Good point (I guess).  A poster on another board just questioned why it takes 22 responses to answer one question - even though it had already been answered.  The same seems to apply to all boards.👀 

22 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Good point (I guess).  A poster on another board just questioned why it takes 22 responses to answer one question - even though it had already been answered.  The same seems to apply to all boards.👀 

Two reasons, I think.  One, no one reads the replies to see if a question has been answered, they just click 'Reply' and answer it.  Or two, we all want to show everyone how much we know so we just answer the question again but just word it differently.   :classic_tongue:

• Haha 2

• 4 years later...

It is interesting that I found this older thread here on CC.  The same misleading quote continues to appear in their print advertising and online for the Distinctive Suites.  When I send an email asking about this after returning from the Explorer in an Explorer Suite (where I was limited to my three pre-cruise reservations and they were booked solid each additional night), the guest relations administrator responded quite snarky:

"Kindly note that the details do not state each evening:"

I am sorry but their text (which discusses the "guaranteed reservations at your favorite specialty restaurants, an intimate in-suite caviar service and full liquor bar set-up"), is intended to distinguish (excuse the pun) these suites from the others.  The others allow limited reservations (one per restaurant guaranteed), so this should be intended to suggest more than what the other suites offer.  This is ambiguous at best, and misleading at worst.

On 5/31/2019 at 5:54 AM, flossie009 said:

So if I understand this new categorisation & dining reservation policy, and if my maths is correct, there will have to be at least 50 covers in the speciality restaurants on Explorer held back each evening for those occupying Distinctive Suites.

That sounds as if it will severely limit the flexibility for other guests seeking bookings in the speciality restaurants.

A number of questions come to mind regarding the guaranteed reservations for Distinctive Suites:

• How far in advance do you have to confirm your requirements? ..... or can you just pitch up at the speciality restaurant of your choice on the evening?
  • Do you get a choice of restaurant each & every evening?
  • Do you get a choice of time and table size each & every evening?

Some clarity on these new arrangements from a Regent representative would be useful and very welcome. 

On our last 2 Splendor cruises over the past 14 months or so, we have stayed in a Grand Suite. We were able to get into any dining venue with table for2 on any evening we chose. This perk is guaranteed, but what is not is the seating time. We had out butler arrange it each morning and Regent accommodated us within 30 minutes or so of our desired time. This past April we did a 12 day TA on Splendor and we’re able to eat at Prime 7 5 evenings. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjs217 said:

AH HA!  This explains (as I stated on another thread) why we lost 3 of our 4 non-sharing dining reservations on our last Regent cruise.  We must have been bumped by the big fishes.  

When we were on the Splendor earlier this year we didn’t like the service in Compass Rose. I had made the three guaranteed reservations for early in the cruise then checkied for more the first, day none were available. We ate in the French restaurant last and really enjoyed it . I made the comment that too bad we couldn’t get more nights there. The head waiter told us the restaurants had three tables that were never booked ahead of time for the use of the named suites, so to check with him when the restaurant opened and if he had one of the suite tables open we could have it. We ate there three more times that way. There was always at least 1 of the 3 tables open when the restaurant opened when we checked. We split our time between there and Setti Mari. Prime 7 was packed and loud and the food was just OK. I have a soy allergy so couldn’t eat inPacific Rim. We usually really like Compass Rose but not this time. Thankfully the pool grill was still open at night….they had the best BBQ short ribs I have ever had. We also love the Italian so we didn’t go hungry!

This thread is 4 years old and the world has changed. But based on what we were told tables are set aside for the use of the named suites and if not taken by those passengers they are then opened that evening first come.

Also you should always check your reservations both tour and dinning when you first board. On the 2018WC the computer somehow dumped most or all the world cruiser reservations before the ship got them. The first segment they were madly trying to get them sorted out.

Don’t feel much has changed except there are a lot people new to Regent!

• Like 1