Sometimes the Royal Isn't Too Big for Alaska!

sciteach11

Just got this message from Princess for our upcoming cruise June 8, Vancouver to Whittier. I guess we got lucky since at least one earlier sailing had to skip Seymour Narrows and go on the West side of Vancouver Island. It will be interesting to see how she approaches some of the other ports.

EMBARKATION UPDATE
Please be advised that due to a tight tidal window through the Seymour Narrows, Royal Princess will now depart Vancouver at 4:00 PM on Saturday, June 8, 2019, rather than 4:30 PM as previously scheduled. If your plans are flexible, please arrive to the pier between 10:00 AM and 12:00 noon or 2:00 PM and 3:00 PM in order to avoid processing delays during security and U.S. Immigration Clearance. Boarding will begin at 12:00 noon. All guests must be aboard no later than 3:30 PM.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Royal Princess.

Yay that's awesome! Hopefully they don't change it last minute. I know it's been hit and miss on whether or not they can do it. I guess they're trying out new departure times to see if it helps. 

Having worked shoreside in Vancouver for many years, it is actually quote rare for the bigger ships to make it out by the 4:30pm deadline, especially when there is more than one ship in port. This is mostly due to US pre-clearance requirements. Maybe things have changed in the past few years since I gave this job up, but I regularly see the ships sail past my house closer to 5pm!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, idahospud said:

The ship is again skipping the Seymour Narrows today and is coming around Vancouver Island on its way back to Vancouver. Hope tomorrow works out for you!

IMG_0803.PNG

Where can I get this info and map? Really enjoy many of your posts and your Alaska Royal blog

1 minute ago, Fishboy1947 said:

Where can I get this info and map? Really enjoy many of your posts and your Alaska Royal blog

Thanks for reading along on the blog! On the blog I did screen captures from the navigation channel when we are on the ship. Since we're home now I went to https://www.myshiptracking.com/ and did a search for the Royal Princess. I then clicked on the ship and went to "show track". I knew she was going to be back in Vancouver tomorrow so I did the screen capture this evening. 

1 hour ago, hpeabody said:

I am aboard now and looking at that website it seems we are going around to the west.

If you're onboard you should also be able to see it on your stateroom tv. On the tv menu list (on the left part of the screen) is the list of things things like live tv, on demand, music, and a little down the list it has "apps". There is where you will find the ship location map that will look similar to what the website shows. 

I was on the June 1 south bound on the Royal and it went out into the open ocean all day Friday . I am very upset about this cause this is not what they sold it as and still selling it as.

Edited by gagenie
messed up
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, gagenie said:

I was on the June 1 south bound on the Royal and it went out into the open ocean all day Friday . I am very upset about this cause this is not what they sold it as and still selling it as.

Many of us predicted it and spoke out about the ship due to this. Sorry if you were not on the boards to see this.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Many of us predicted it and spoke out about the ship due to this. Sorry if you were not on the boards to see this.

No, I didn't see it and it isn't listed on Princess as taking that route and I have messaged them and told them about it. I could have went roundtrip out of Seattle with airline prices a whole lot cheaper if I had of wanted to go out in the open ocean. That was the only problem I had with the Royal, plenty of places to see onboard and take pictures.