Just an Observation

MixerDave

People traveling on all cruise lines that have some form of elite status will always flash it and some won't. That is just the way people are.Those that flash their status, will flash anything that they think will impress us more "common folk."

I encountered someone the other day that was going on and on about being the Valedictorian of their high school graduating

class. They graduated at least 40 ears ago. I was not the least bit impressed. Rather, I felt pity for them.

• Like 1

I wear my card on a lanyard around my neck because it is more convenient.  I don’t care who knows or doesn’t know my status.  I have cruises on 8 different lines, go where the itineraries are best or price is best.

Loyal? Will always choose Princess if they can match itinerary and price.  But I like many other cruise lines as well.  I just like to cruise.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Gwendy said:

I wear my card on a lanyard around my neck because it is more convenient.  I don’t care who knows or doesn’t know my status.  I have cruises on 8 different lines, go where the itineraries are best or price is best.

Loyal? Will always choose Princess if they can match itinerary and price.  But I like many other cruise lines as well.  I just like to cruise.

I totaly agree same here! have worn a lanyard since my first cruise 30 cruises ago not going to stop now , have never misplaced my card. 🙂

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we sailed on RCI after a 5 year break, and were pleasantly surprised by wonderful, speedy customer service, and will certainly cruise with them again.

We just sailed on them after a break also! Crew was exceptional with service I was impressed!

15 hours ago, shellgirl61 said:

I encountered someone the other day that was going on and on about being the Valedictorian of their high school graduating

class. They graduated at least 40 ears ago. I was not the least bit impressed. Rather, I felt pity for them.

perhaps, it was the highlight of their life.

Plus, the years go by so quickly, it doesn't really feel like 40 years sometimes. I graduated high school with the highest honors the time and place allowed, and that was almost 30 years ago. However, I still remember it like it was yesterday, and how it made me feel. Honestly, I haven't accomplished anything of that magnitude ever since, so why not relish it? It's not the same as sailing 40 cruises, because that's not really an accomplishment (unless you think of it as a financial investment).

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

perhaps, it was the highlight of their life.

Plus, the years go by so quickly, it doesn't really feel like 40 years sometimes. I graduated high school with the highest honors the time and place allowed, and that was almost 30 years ago. However, I still remember it like it was yesterday, and how it made me feel. Honestly, I haven't accomplished anything of that magnitude ever since, so why not relish it? It's not the same as sailing 40 cruises, because that's not really an accomplishment (unless you think of it as a financial investment).

Sometimes it seems like the years since high school have just streamed by so fast it's unbelievable!  Gee, I can remember when we thought somebody who was in their late 20's was OLD!  Now, I've passed the 3/4's of a century mark and I still don't feel old.....well, sometimes I feel that way anyway, then I get out of bed and that feeling goes away quickly.  But, growing old beats the heck out of the alternative!

The biggest thing that I remember about my high school graduation was that you could write the year down (1961) and turn it upside down and it still looked the same and that the next time it would happen was going to be over 4000 years in the future (6009)! 😀  Well, actually I remember 2 other things, neither of which were good...we lost a classmate in an auto accident and we got soundly beaten in a basketball game 81-13.  (OUCH!)  Luckily, way back then we didn't have fellow students shooting at us as happens nowadays.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

I have to say this has been an interesting thread.  I've been onboard with boisterous and obnoxious cruisers, but that behavior crossed all cruise levels.  I can't remember coming across anyone actually flashing their card or status.  That could be fun to watch!    

To me, cruising is just a microcosm of the "regular" world.  As one example, there are chair hogs on board but I also find bench hogs at my gym.  The braggarts are everywhere and the "why do they get to do or have X and I don't" jealous folks are in abundance as well.  It can be tiring, I'm guessing, for the Elites (I'm not one) who just want to have a good cruise and a nice time.  They should be able to wear their black cards on a lanyard if it is more comfortable. It's a shame that a few "peacocks" may color how others view those that happen to have black cards.  

I do agree with the OP in that I also feel Princess cruisers aren't nearly as level obsessed as RC.  Sure, there are some in constant competition to be "the one that shall be curtsied to," but I have found most to have a good grip on reality.  I've learned a lot from frequent cruisers, once they feel open enough to share with us.  As a side note, I don't want to paint all RC super cruisers with the same brush as many we have met were very nice people.  One of those times on RC was with a couple standing in the Guest Relations line with us on the last day.  He happened to be the most traveled man onboard (not quite Super Mario level but had a gazillion days, or more).  He had an erroneous towel charge on his account (used to be a very common occurrence on RC - that was also the reason we were in line).  He was as nice/patient as could be with the agent (who took care of it, but had a pretty flat attitude about it).  We had met him at the Captain's party previously (we're just Emerald) and he was just as amiable there.   

Happy cruising to all!