Montego Bay

wesorbeth

I think that’s the worst of the three to not have an excursion for. I don’t remember seeing anything other than taxis and tour buses in the port area. You’ll probably need to take a cab somewhere. 

Edited by Saint Greg

Actually now that I think about it, on the way back I do remember a very small vendor area that I didn’t see on the way out. We were running late getting back to the ship so we ran though that pretty fast.

I think Saint Greg nailed it in his first post.  While there is a small area for shopping in the area, it's literally about 6-8 shops (actually closer to booths) and nothing more.

Having said that, there is a "hop on - hop off" bus service that originates at the port that many of our fellow passengers were utilizing for the day.  Best that I can remember, it was in the neighborhood of $40/per person for the day...but, I could be mistaken.  Also, as my wife and I did not use the service, I can't vouch for how effective/efficient it was relative to moving you from place to place.

Long story short, either book an excursion or be prepared to ad lib your day using local transportation options....or elect to just stay on the ship.

Garnett

There are no excursions that interest me so I've been looking into going to Doctors Cave Beach. I'll have my 3 kids with me so I'm not sure though. The beach itself sounds safe but getting there via taxi seems a little sketchy. 

We just did the Hop on/Hop Off in April.  I think it was only $25/pp but it was hardly worth that.  All the stops are shopping stops.  We finally just took it to Margaritaville where we actually got a good drink and an appetizer and took a picture of the port area and the ship.  We walked down to Doctors Cave beach which was a sea of humanity, so crowded and noisy, we paid $6 just so my friend could take a picture and got out of there.  

We got approached for drugs so many times I stopped counting.

You need a planned excursion here.  Carnival had some decent ones, we just waited too long because we had thought we were going to stay on the ship.  Next time I would do the excursion that takes you on a tour of Rose Hall (we read about the history of the house that morning and it sounded interesting) or do a day pass at the Hilton Rose Hall or Secrets.

8 hours ago, mama_2_boys said:

There are no excursions that interest me so I've been looking into going to Doctors Cave Beach. I'll have my 3 kids with me so I'm not sure though. The beach itself sounds safe but getting there via taxi seems a little sketchy. 

Why would the cab ride be "sketchy"?  If you take a licensed cab from the port, you should get dropped off near the entrance to doctor cave's beach.  What could be "sketchy" about the 15 minute ride there?  Pay your admission, and then look for a spot where you can relax.  If there is a crowd outside, just  ask if they are on line to get in.  If not, go right pass them.  Ignore or smile and wave no no no I dont smoke it no more when vendors on the beach pass you by.

There is actually good snorkeling right from the beach out past the rafts in maybe 15' of water.  

13 hours ago, mama_2_boys said:

Nothing sketchy, and in what way. The taxis are lined up outside the terminal. There are 3 or 4 public beaches, all have amenities. don't know where someone came up with the $40 figure unless it some A.I. offer. I think the taxi was $8. There will be taxis waiting at the beach for your return. 

Sketchy because I've read multiple reviews saying/warning that they took taxis and we're told one price but on arrival they were told twice, or more, than the original prices. I've also read multiple posts saying they were locked in and unable to get out until they paid the higher fee.

love Jamaica, never heard of this, sounds like CCL scare tactics, " tour with us or miss the ship" Jamaican people are very nice, only problem is guys trying to sell weed on the beach, a simple no thank you will do. Please show me " multiple reviews" of what you say, people locking you in their car? How, just open the door, it's not a police cruiser.

5 minutes ago, coevan said:

love Jamaica, never heard of this, sounds like CCL scare tactics, " tour with us or miss the ship" Jamaican people are very nice, only problem is guys trying to sell weed on the beach, a simple no thank you will do. Please show me " multiple reviews" of what you say, people locking you in their car? How, just open the door, it's not a police cruiser.

These were reviews on here and TA. This was mentioned on the current review for the Glory. We've been to Montego Bay 3 times with no issues but have never taken taxis. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2019 at 11:03 AM, mama_2_boys said:

Sketchy because I've read multiple reviews saying/warning that they took taxis and we're told one price but on arrival they were told twice, or more, than the original prices. I've also read multiple posts saying they were locked in and unable to get out until they paid the higher fee.

Everything I have read says to take a cheap cab ($4-8pp) to Doctors Cave Beach if you are wanting a great day at the beach.  After reading everything that is exactly what my hubby and I are doing - jumping in a cab and spending the day at a beautiful beach.  Yes you have to be aware of your surroundings, but you have that everywhere.... even at home.  Agree on a price ahead of time and only give that amount after getting out of the cab - (if you are worried).  I wouldn't stay on the ship and miss a great beach because of scare tactics.  Ask around and see if you can share a cab with others on your ship as well.  That's what we did at another island... ended up being cheaper too.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2019 at 9:33 PM, Nicagal said:

Everything I have read says to take a cheap cab ($4-8pp) to Doctors Cave Beach if you are wanting a great day at the beach.  After reading everything that is exactly what my hubby and I are doing - jumping in a cab and spending the day at a beautiful beach.  Yes you have to be aware of your surroundings, but you have that everywhere.... even at home.  Agree on a price ahead of time and only give that amount after getting out of the cab - (if you are worried).  I wouldn't stay on the ship and miss a great beach because of scare tactics.  Ask around and see if you can share a cab with others on your ship as well.  That's what we did at another island... ended up being cheaper too.  

That's what we're going to do too.

The last time we were there we did the bamboo raft down the river....it was probably our favorite excursion ever. 

I think the unfamiliar scares people, I have heard these fear stories for just about everywhere, but in my experience I find that most people everywhere are kind and helpful. When we were going to St. Kitts there was a thread of hysteria about monkeys being thrown at tourists (by photographers) and people were vowing to stay on the ship to avoid this monkey attack. I assure you we safely navigated our way through St. Kitts without one single monkey even touching us!😅

• 2 months later...
On 7/31/2019 at 1:35 PM, jiimmy2k said:

Shopping on the hip strip

A couple of years ago, I went on a cruise with my cousin (both of us mature ladies) to Cuba out of MoBay.  (Obviously not available anymore to U.S. citizens.)  We stayed pre-cruise at a little hotel on the Hip Strip, walked a few blocks to a neighborhood outdoor restaurant, walked back to the hotel after dusk, and felt completely safe.  We took a taxi from the hotel to the port with no issues.  The worst thing that happened was a teenage kid offered to sell us pot.  🤣