SUMMIT - Celebrity Suite - Still horrible bathtub ??

Last cruise was on the Millie - Tokyo to Hong Kong - absolutely FABULOUS trip - loved the suite life in a Celebrity Suite - loved dining in Luminae Dining Room ! - Th only negative on that trip was the absolutely horrible bath-tub - very dangerous crawling in and out of it (no separate shower) - I see that the SUMMIT just underwent a $$$$ retrofit - does anyone know if any of the bathrooms in the suites (any category ??) had a separate shower added or something done about the tub ??

We have found an upcoming itinerary  on the SUMMIT that we really like (departs from Dublin - ends in Boston) but are hesitant (sounds silly, I know) to book without knowing about the bathrooms

THANKS !

7 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Last cruise was on the Millie - Tokyo to Hong Kong - absolutely FABULOUS trip - loved the suite life in a Celebrity Suite - loved dining in Luminae Dining Room ! - Th only negative on that trip was the absolutely horrible bath-tub - very dangerous crawling in and out of it (no separate shower) - I see that the SUMMIT just underwent a $$$$ retrofit - does anyone know if any of the bathrooms in the suites (any category ??) had a separate shower added or something done about the tub ??

We have found an upcoming itinerary  on the SUMMIT that we really like (departs from Dublin - ends in Boston) but are hesitant (sounds silly, I know) to book without knowing about the bathrooms

THANKS !

Alsmez has a laugh-out loud funny review from a few days ago ....

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2667173-suite-life-in-a-new-s2-review-of-summit-to-bermuda-51919/

I placed a review last week that has actual pictures ....

My review from last week, while less funny, has photos ...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2665467-summit-suite-a-former-true-believer-returns-after-the-haven-yacht-club-and-viking/

The tub was the Number One reason why my partner said he wouldn't return to a Summit Sky Suite! They most certainly did NOT replace the tubs with or add shower stalls.

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 1

Celebrity has had years of negative reviews on the high bathtub in the M-Class CS and difficulty accessing it, especially for some of the elderly or physically impaired.  Why would they do a complete cabin renovation and not fix the situation??  Just bizarre!

I realize some like to soak away, but a bathtub at sea is not a good idea, and can be dangerous. I was on the Crystal, a smaller ship than M-Class, and was taking a shower and hit a bad roll which threw me out of the shower/bathtub - hit the counter and ended on the floor. No damage, but scared me......and I’m fearless!!

Hate them. And they aren’t a good idea in something that can roll and pitch, even a bit, and I don’t have balance or standing issues. 

Den

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Denny01 said:

.....and I don’t have balance or standing issues. 

Den

Oops. I should have said i dont have balance issues in the AM. Any time after happy hr or noon, whichever comes first, balance is up for grabs.  

Den

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

THANKS !

Unfortunately, to get away from taking a shower in those dangerous tubs, you will have to book either a royal suite or a penthouse, neither of which are currently available for that cruise.  We're lucky in that we grabbed it early.

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Unfortunately, to get away from taking a shower in those dangerous tubs, you will have to book either a royal suite or a penthouse, neither of which are currently available for that cruise.  We're lucky in that we grabbed it early.

Or any Balcony (Aqua, Concierge/Standard), Oceanview, Inside Cabin. 

Den

15 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

We just got off of the Millennium transpacific and had a Royal Suite.  There is a tub that is deep and a separate shower.  Unfortunately, there are no grab bars in either and I found the shower very unsafe, especially since we spent a few days crossing the Bering Sea.  I did not try the jetted tub since it also had no grab bars of any kind and would have found it difficult to get out of.  There were a lot of not well thought out things, including the towel racks.  They were so high, that a short person (me) couldn't reach them to return a towel.

Garry

17 minutes ago, gkm said:

We just got off of the Millennium transpacific and had a Royal Suite.  There is a tub that is deep and a separate shower.  Unfortunately, there are no grab bars in either and I found the shower very unsafe, especially since we spent a few days crossing the Bering Sea.  I did not try the jetted tub since it also had no grab bars of any kind and would have found it difficult to get out of.  There were a lot of not well thought out things, including the towel racks.  They were so high, that a short person (me) couldn't reach them to return a towel.

Garry

I don't think that those of us who appreciate the wisdom of grab bars are Celebrity's desired clients, even though we are the ones who are currently sailing with them.  They are apparently looking for those who don't value function and like Target meets Ikea design.  It will be interesting to see how the Hoppenization of Celebrity plays out.

I think on a cruise ship, no matter your age or physical condition, grab bars are needed.  The seas are not always calm and I can remember even in my younger days, grabbing on to one when on rough seas.  One of these days, there's going to be a bad accident in one of these showers.  I just hope it's not me!

Garry

Edited by gkm
  • Like 3