Receipt tips for bars

Two years ago I was on Liberty of the Seas and gave additional dollar or two per drink by writing on my receipt. Last year I returned and was surprised not to be able to do this, and I did not bring cash/small bills with me and would not want to bother carrying them around all day. This year I am going again. Is there any way around this? I want to appreciate my bartenders. I am not a regular enough at any one bar either to pay a larger tip up front to encourage good service. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

3 minutes ago, AxyP said:

Two years ago I was on Liberty of the Seas and gave additional dollar or two per drink by writing on my receipt. Last year I returned and was surprised not to be able to do this, and I did not bring cash/small bills with me and would not want to bother carrying them around all day. This year I am going again. Is there any way around this? I want to appreciate my bartenders. I am not a regular enough at any one bar either to pay a larger tip up front to encourage good service. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

The bar bill has 18% gratuity added already.

When in the DL or using the free D+ drinks in a bar I will give the waiter/bartender $1 per drink cash.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxyP said:

So cash is the only option if I want to go above and beyond. Thank you for your advice!

Are you talking about drink packages, or diamond drinks? Otherwise if you are paying per drink you still get a receipt.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AxyP said:

So cash is the only option if I want to go above and beyond. Thank you for your advice!

Yes.

Just got off Independence in Southampton and the wine waiters/barman appreciated the cash tip which went straight into their pockets.

• Like 1

I am talking regular drinks. Last June when I took the cruise, I was surprised there were no receipts. I even asked a couple bartenders thinking maybe it was one bar out of paper or something and they said they didn't do them anymore. Maybe it was a fluke? This was on the Liberty of the Seas from Galveston last June. I am doing the same cruise this year and want to plan accordingly.

2 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Are you talking about drink packages, or diamond drinks? Otherwise if you are paying per drink you still get a receipt.

The op was referring to what was previously on the receipts where you could add additional tips.

We were in Giovanni's every night on Independence and the receipts also did not have a place for additional tips but I always give at least a $10 cash tip.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxyP said:

I am talking regular drinks. Last June when I took the cruise, I was surprised there were no receipts. I even asked a couple bartenders thinking maybe it was one bar out of paper or something and they said they didn't do them anymore. Maybe it was a fluke? This was on the Liberty of the Seas from Galveston last June. I am doing the same cruise this year and want to plan accordingly.

I got receipts for every transaction on independence even for our hot breakfast roomservice ($9.40)

• Like 1

Makes sense, but I wish they left it. I know how much they appreciate the tips and I appreciate them making my vacation better! I'll carry cash this time to be sure the right servers get their due for above and beyond service.

Thank you again for the advice!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AxyP said:

18% gratuities are included in all the drinks you get!👍

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I got receipts for every transaction on independence even for our hot breakfast roomservice ($9.40)

The OP is talking about getting receipts for drinks when you have the deluxe drink package.  They are not talking about diamond drinks, specialty dining or room service.  You got receipts for drinks with your deluxe drink package?

12 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The OP is talking about getting receipts for drinks when you have the deluxe drink package.  They are not talking about diamond drinks, specialty dining or room service.  You got receipts for drinks with your deluxe drink package?

The op never mentioned The Deluxe Drinks Package they just said Regular Drinks.

When we had the DDP on Freedom last June I only got a receipt when a drink cost more than the $13 limit and the extra included 18% gratuities on the extra I paid.

Edited by grapau27

35 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The op was referring to what was previously on the receipts where you could add additional tips.

We were in Giovanni's every night on Independence and the receipts also did not have a place for additional tips but I always give at least a $10 cash tip.

I am well aware of the receipts the OP was referring to. The point was you used to be given a zero receipt sometimes for a diamond drink which you could add your tip to if you wanted instead of carrying a load of notes. I agree they seem to have stopped that and it is now necessary to carry cash.

For the main part I have continued to be given a receipt for drinks outside of Diamond hours. I have also wasted more time than I like in recent years getting Diamond drinks or other erroneous charges removed,  which although has never been a problem without a receipt could always be subject to query. It would appear the OP is referring to regular drinks purchased throughput the day.

Not sure how it is relevant how much, or how you tipped at Giovanni’s?

1 hour ago, AxyP said:

I regularly sail on the ships out of Galveston. 

Occasionally I haven’t been given a receipt but for the most part I have received a receipt for drinks purchased outside of Diamond hours.

My most recent sailing on Liberty was in February and we certainly received receipts from most of the bars we visited. However as stated above a service charge is already added to each drink but there is still a tip line if you want to add even more.

Edited by c-leg5

1 hour ago, AxyP said:

Regular drinks, not Diamond drinks preloaded onto your seapass card?    I have always gotten a receipt for regular drinks.

• Like 1

If you are buying regular drinks without having a package you should always get a receipt to sign that includes an 18% tip and a place to right in more if you like.  If you have the drink package ask for a receipt and they will give you one and you can write a tip in on it

• Like 2

Just to clarify:

I am not anything high on the loyalty list. My first cruise two years I had the drink package, and with every drink I was handed a receipt to sign, and the receipt included a tip line. I never had an error in billing.

Last year, same cruise, same boat, same lack of high loyalty level, and same drink package. I did not get a single receipt for any drinks. The only ones they gave out were for people ordering a la carte or over the $12 limit.

I apologize if I have created a lot of confusion. I just needed to see if anyone knew if this was now typical so that I could be prepared with cash, which I will be, so that no matter the situation for this cruise, I will be prepared.

I do agree it would be nice to not have the receipts, both for convenience and to be green, and I would like to be able to 'charge' the additional tips, beyond the percentage taken already. I realize it may not go straight to their pockets, but I have faith they would at least get something extra from it. Maybe I am being naïve. So cash it is.

I appreciate everyone's help.

BTW - for future reference, what is OP? I thought when first mentioned it was some code for bartender. Is it something else?

Thanks again.

Oh - I should say the alcohol included deluxe drink package.

Guess you can tell my lack of cruise expertise based on my poor terminology!

And I now think OP is original poster? 

11 minutes ago, AxyP said:

Just to clarify:

I am not anything high on the loyalty list. My first cruise two years I had the drink package, and with every drink I was handed a receipt to sign, and the receipt included a tip line. I never had an error in billing.

Last year, same cruise, same boat, same lack of high loyalty level, and same drink package. I did not get a single receipt for any drinks. The only ones they gave out were for people ordering a la carte or over the $12 limit.

I apologize if I have created a lot of confusion. I just needed to see if anyone knew if this was now typical so that I could be prepared with cash, which I will be, so that no matter the situation for this cruise, I will be prepared.

I do agree it would be nice to not have the receipts, both for convenience and to be green, and I would like to be able to 'charge' the additional tips, beyond the percentage taken already. I realize it may not go straight to their pockets, but I have faith they would at least get something extra from it. Maybe I am being naïve. So cash it is.

BTW - for future reference, what is OP? I thought when first mentioned it was some code for bartender. Is it something else?

Thanks again.

Original poster 🙂

7 minutes ago, AxyP said:

As I said in my posi above you can ask is receipt and write put a tip on it

7 minutes ago, AxyP said:

Correct, OP is original poster.  🙂 

I didn't think your post was confusing, you were talking about regular drinks, any regular drink that you didn't get a receipt for obviously had to be purchased with a beverage package.  Molly361 had the best explanation of the thread.  Just ask for a receipt if you want to add an additional tip or tip with cash if you have some with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

I am well aware of the receipts the OP was referring to. The point was you used to be given a zero receipt sometimes for a diamond drink which you could add your tip to if you wanted instead of carrying a load of notes. I agree they seem to have stopped that and it is now necessary to carry cash.

For the main part I have continued to be given a receipt for drinks outside of Diamond hours. I have also wasted more time than I like in recent years getting Diamond drinks or other erroneous charges removed,  which although has never been a problem without a receipt could always be subject to query. It would appear the OP is referring to regular drinks purchased throughput the day.

Not sure how it is relevant how much, or how you tipped at Giovanni’s?

We are D+ and have only ever been given a receipt if I was being charged for anything.

If we use an outside bar during D hours I give the wine waiter $1 per drink so $2 for our 2 drinks.

They never give me a receipt but they do take our cards and swipe them.

The op asked why there was not an additional tip line so I mentioned Giovanni's because they didn't have an additional tip line on the receipt either on Independence which we have just been on.

I further commented that if you want to give extra for great service you need to give a cash tip hence my mention of the tip in Giovanni's.

1 hour ago, AxyP said:

Just to clarify:

Thanks again.

The op is the person who originally started the thread.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27