Currently on Navigator and I have been told she is going into drydock??

We just got off and was told chairs in Navigator lounge will be changed.  Some of the table layout in prime 7 will be moved. Curtains, etc.  That’s all I was told but it will be more than that. 

• Thanks 1

It's usually just soft goods - carpet, curtains, bedding, furniture, etc.  There's not a lot you can do in a 2-week slot.  Minor reconfigurations, converting some suites/public areas, maybe - but it would be limited.

I think the next big thing they need to tackle is the bathrooms - some of them are starting to look a bit dated - but that's not a quick (or inexpensive) fix...

Hi JVilleGal -  Will/could you be giving us some more thoughts regarding your current Navigator cruise?  Yes, we know it's smaller than the other ships.  Yes, we know that sometimes some people experience brown water.  Yes, we know that some people (but certainly not all) are bothered/troubled by some random aft vibrations or "stability" issues. And yes, we know that some posters will never/ever cruise on Navigator (again).  But other than that, and for the rest of us who actually like the ship and have upcoming cruises booked on her, some general thoughts and observations regarding how your current cruise is going overall, would be most appreciated.

There are some folks on our small but active roll call who are completely new to cruising, new to Regent (and so of course, new to Navigator), and would like to feel a bit reassured and "excited" about their cruise investment/decision and their upcoming "adventure".  They have noted and mentioned some of the "negative comments" they've seen, primarily from just a few people, that have been posted on these threads  Certainly don't need any "candy coating" - just some  "fair and balanced" comments/thoughts please.  i.e., what is your itinerary, how many days, what class of stateroom are you in/location, how are the meals, service, pool grill, evening entertainment, etc., if you could?  Best Regards.

• Like 1

Navigator is a beautiful jewel! I have never experienced brown water. Food is fabulous, service wonderful and everything lovely! We are Regent cruisers with 70+ days onboard. This is our first sailing on Navigator and I am kicking myself that we have avoided this ship. 

You will love it, she is beautiful and goes into drydock after our sailing.

Edited by JVilleGal
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A crew member told me that crew cabins and carpets are being redone as part of this dry dock. Some crew members are being moved to a Ferry and some are being moved up into Passenger cabins. Crew seems excited about the Dry Dock. Big changes to Prime 7, and this from 3 different crew members.

We got off Navigator 5/30 and had an excellent cruise.  Service was great everywhere except occasionally in Compass Rose. It is the friendliest ship of the fleet.  Carpet in our cabin did need replacing and that will be done.  We had never experienced the Country Fair before because it was our first cross Atlantic.  It was a blast!

55 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

We got off Navigator 5/30 and had an excellent cruise.  Service was great everywhere except occasionally in Compass Rose. It is the friendliest ship of the fleet.  Carpet in our cabin did need replacing and that will be done.  We had never experienced the Country Fair before because it was our first cross Atlantic.  It was a blast!

Kindly explain how the Navigator is the "friendliest ship of the fleet".  Since the officers and crew rotate ships (for the most part), it would seem that whatever crew members were on the Navigator for your cruise could be on Mariner, Explorer, Voyager or Splendor for their next contract.

Note:  We always find friendly officers, crew and passengers on all Regent ships.

I think it seems that way because Navigator is so small.... the ship just seems very intimate and welcoming. I get this with every Regent ship but with Navigator I think it’s a bit more special.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It’s 11pm and we are docked for 3 days in the Seine River and tomorrow we head to Omaha Beach. We are waiting for instructions from both the State Dept and French Govt about June 6th. It’s going to be a very very long day. Our very Elderly Veterans and Metal of Honor winners plus other dignitaries will be taken off the ship separately. The rest of the passengers have tickets and now we wait for instructions:(

its going to be a very very long day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Kindly explain how the Navigator is the "friendliest ship of the fleet".  Since the officers and crew rotate ships (for the most part), it would seem that whatever crew members were on the Navigator for your cruise could be on Mariner, Explorer, Voyager or Splendor for their next contract.

Note:  We always find friendly officers, crew and passengers on all Regent ships.

I know for a fact many of the crew on Navigator request to come back and so it seems more like a family.  Also, with fewer passengers and fewer crew members, they get to know you and you them very quickly.  This is probably true also because being a smaller ship there are fewer places to hang out also. Many return guests on the ship feel this way. And, yes, I’ve been on all the ships.  I’m not sure if it would be true on a 7 day cruise...we decided after our first Regent cruise we would no longer do a 7 day. 

Thank you for the explanation!  I do know that the accommodations for the crew are different on Navigator which is why the ship is requested by some crew members. I do like the size of the Navigator very much and perhaps if we had not sailed on Silversea's Whisper and Shadow (same size as Navigator but 100 less passengers so much more public space), we would enjoy the Navigator.  However, the Whisper in particular has spoiled us.

Agree about 7 night cruises ..... the only ones we take are our annual "West Coast fun cruises on ships that we do not intend to sail again.  

Happy to read that most of you enjoy the Navigator, I like small ships and I can see how the crew would get to know you faster as you'd run into them more often.  Thanks for the feed back---also does anyone know the date it goes in---we've booked a cruise on her after the Splendor cruise next year.

13 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Happy to read that most of you enjoy the Navigator, I like small ships and I can see how the crew would get to know you faster as you'd run into them more often.  Thanks for the feed back---also does anyone know the date it goes in---we've booked a cruise on her after the Splendor cruise next year.

After current 75th anniversary D Day historical charter....so next week or so. 

4 hours ago, JVilleGal said:

It’s 11pm and we are docked for 3 days in the Seine River and tomorrow we head to Omaha Beach. We are waiting for instructions from both the State Dept and French Govt about June 6th. It’s going to be a very very long day. Our very Elderly Veterans and Metal of Honor winners plus other dignitaries will be taken off the ship separately. The rest of the passengers have tickets and now we wait for instructions:(

its going to be a very very long day.

What a fabulous experience, I didnt know Regent was having this cruise! I went to Normandy some 20 years ago , and it was one of the most emotional and powerful experiences Ive ever had. I hope its the same for you. Please let us know how it goes.

1 minute ago, cruiseluv said:

What a fabulous experience, I didnt know Regent was having this cruise! I went to Normandy some 20 years ago , and it was one of the most emotional and powerful experiences Ive ever had. I hope its the same for you. Please let us know how it goes.

We went to some of same ports and it was so moving(last week).  I can’t imagine how moving and emotional this week will be.  We have seen some ABC national reports last few days that get me in tears quickly after seeing Normandy.  Amazing for the DDay veterans to return.  

The current cruise on the Navigator is a charter through the WWII Museum in New Orleans.

The trip ends in Southampton and the ship goes into dry dock. The Arctic cruise starts there after a week+ . .

I'm not 100% sure of the specific name of the NO Museum nor of the exact dates of the dry dock or when it ends

Peggy

The entire ship was Chartered by the World War II museum New Orleans. They sold out Navigator and then fully Chartered the Seabourn  Odyssey. We are sailing 1 day apart. However we are currently dock together. 

• Like 2

We disembarked the Navigator on May 30.  Our butler advised us that the ship will be in drydock in Brest for 10 days.  We asked what he would be doing during those 10 days and he replied, "helping to rip up carpet."  

This was our first time on Regent, but we are not first time cruisers (QM2, HAL, Seabourn, NCL.)  We enjoyed the cruise, but the Navigator is indeed a small ship.  The small size means compromises that are worth understanding:  There is NOT a forward observation lounge, there are only two sit-down "no reservation" restaurants in the evening and there is NOT an indoor buffet venue in the evening (Pool Grill is available, but seating is outdoors.)  Ours was a 15 day cruise, and we were ready to get off the ship around day 10.  

But she was clean, pretty and the food & service were generally terrific. 

As for the brown water, it is real.  Worse, the water sometimes ran clear at first, and then changed to brown for a bit.  We had it in our suite and learned to let the water run awhile before trusting it.  A wasteful but necessary step.

Vibrations are real, too.  We shared a chuckle with the couple at an adjacent table in Compass Rose as we watched our wine glasses shimmy and clink on our tables.  

But, overall, the brown water and the vibrations in the rear were minor annoyances.  We enjoyed ourselves while, at the same time, learning some things about our personal cruising preferences.

• Like 1

I think a ship designed for 400 passengers would have limited public venues. There is only so much space. We intentionally booked midship to avoid any vibration. Have enjoyed all 3 dining venues. Have not experienced any brown water.

We sailed the Navigator just once about 7 years ago. Lovely Regent high end food and service and we did not feel the vibrations too badly in our suite. I forget where our suite was located but probably midship. We were told the ship was not originally designed to be a cruise ship so had a different  kind of hull designed and constructed that made one feel the vibrations in many places on board. Entertainers on board  we have met and talked to have referred to the ship laughingly as the "Navibrator,"  perhaps because their berths were deep in the ship and more aft. In any event, dining in the specialty restaurants  in the aft  of the ship I recall were always quite annoying because of the vibrations.

Your correct about Navigator, her Hull was built for another Commerical purpose and not for a cruise ship. At one point years ago I heard the whole story and maybe it was TC who shared it. Sadly like so many things I just don’t remember.

FYI the name I gave for the Seabourn ship also Chartered for this trip is wrong. She is the Newest ship Seabourn just added (forget the name). I know her capacity is 350 passengers.

Edited by JVilleGal

2 hours ago, JVilleGal said:

Your correct about Navigator, her Hull was built for another Commerical purpose and not for a cruise ship. At one point years ago I heard the whole story and maybe it was TC who shared it. Sadly like so many things I just don’t remember.

FYI the name I gave for the Seabourn ship also Chartered for this trip is wrong. She is the Newest ship Seabourn just added (forget the name). I know her capacity is 350 passengers.

The gist of Navigator's (or Navibrator's?) history is that the hull was started as a Soviet cold-water research ship (read:  spy ship) and after the collapse of the USSR the hull was purchased by Radisson and sent to Italy, I believe, to be fitted out.  So the initial hull design was more military/industrial than what you'd get in a purpose built cruise vessel...but to me, that's part of her charm.  For some reason, I seem to drink more vodka when I'm on Navigator...wonder if it's related??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JVilleGal said:

I was given the history of the Navigator from a Regent GM.  Although I still have the article, I can't remember that much of what it says:classic_tongue:

• Like 1