The new regulations for Cuba are going into effect, and it doesn't look good.

FredZiffle

6 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

That is to bad but I would like to see NCL ships got to Key West instead of Cuba.

If you paid extra to go to Cuba, you might not think so. Now, if they want to give me my money back, and offer me to book a cruise to Key West, I'm sure the rates would be much less than what I paid. And for the person that mentioned substituting Nassau.... our ship already had Nassau on the itinerary.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, lovelights said:

If you paid extra to go to Cuba, you might not think so. Now, if they want to give me my money back, and offer me to book a cruise to Key West, I'm sure the rates would be much less than what I paid. And for the person that mentioned substituting Nassau.... our ship already had Nassau on the itinerary.

Yes, I realize that the lines reserve the right to change based on things out of their control (such as this situation).  But the cruises to Cuba were quite a bit more then going to Bahamas or something.  So it is the pits to have paid all that extra and then they just swipe you off to Nassau or something instead.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kingkonig said:

If I’m not mistaken, they change itinerary.  The cruise will be similar, but outside of “cancel for any reason” travel insurance, the only refund you’ll get is from Havana’s port fees

That would be so unfair, since Cuba cruises cost much more than a regular cruise to Key West and Nassau or Nassau and Mexico. We could have saved hundreds of dollars if we would have just picked another cruise that didn't go to Cuba. Wonder what people would think, if they booked a Panama Canal cruise, and then found out they were going to Cozumel and Honduras? This is the same situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LaCal said:

If unused all unused Visas has to be returned to Guest services w no marks on them at all during the cruise to be refunded 

Tried and was told no. On the Sky early April.  Our 2nd cruise to Cuba.

NCL has shut down sales of Cuba cruises. Wife and I are scheduled on the Sun leaving June 17th and the initial page on the site when you search says that cabins are available but if you go in and actually try to get a cabin they say Sold Out for everything. 

The conflicting messages here are the worst part. Cruisers (the people) are apparently grandfathered but the BIS says that all licenses for cruise ships to sail to Cuba are going to be denied. So the people can go but not the ship. Its all a big mess. 

https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/country-guidance/sanctioned-destinations/cuba

From that page 

Aircraft and Vessels

Flying an aircraft or sailing a vessel to Cuba, even temporarily, constitutes an export or reexport to Cuba. If the aircraft or vessel is subject to the EAR (e.g., those departing from the United States), then BIS authorization is required, either through a license or license exception, to fly/sail to Cuba. Commercial aircraft and cargo vessels on temporary sojourn to Cuba may be eligible for License Exception Aircraft, Vessels, and Spacecraft (AVS) (Section 740.15 of the EAR). Note that all corresponding requirements and criteria must be met in order to be eligible for License Exception AVS. 

As of June 5, 2019, a BIS license will be required for the temporary sojourn to Cuba of non-commercial aircraft and non-cargo vessels, and license applications for those vessels will be subject to a general policy of denial.  

Some of us just want to know if the cruises are going or not. I have a friend who can't get any info from NCL on her cruise that is leaving this month. 

Don't need all the politics.

• Like 3

Just now, Coral said:

Some of us just want to know if the cruises are going or not. I have a friend who can't get any info from NCL on her cruise that is leaving this month. 

100% agreed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beerman2 said:

Wow, it's gone from a Cruise forum to a Political forum. Well played everyone. Obviously most must not have heard that age old saying "Never discuss politics or religion" with others.

I was thinking the same thing.... WTH happened to this post? It's gotten so it has absolutely nothing to do what the original poster posted. This thread might as well be shut down now. It's useless.

• Like 3

Every time you complain, you bump the thread back to the top.

Just report it to the mods if it’s bugging you.

I’ve actually enjoyed this thread because it made me realize my assumptions about the politics of many CC cruisers were wrong. It makes things that tiniest bit less bleak. 

35 minutes ago, RupanIII said:

NCL has shut down sales of Cuba cruises. Wife and I are scheduled on the Sun leaving June 17th and the initial page on the site when you search says that cabins are available but if you go in and actually try to get a cabin they say Sold Out for everything. 

The conflicting messages here are the worst part. Cruisers (the people) are apparently grandfathered but the BIS says that all licenses for cruise ships to sail to Cuba are going to be denied. So the people can go but not the ship. Its all a big mess. 

https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/country-guidance/sanctioned-destinations/cuba

From that page 

Aircraft and Vessels

Flying an aircraft or sailing a vessel to Cuba, even temporarily, constitutes an export or reexport to Cuba. If the aircraft or vessel is subject to the EAR (e.g., those departing from the United States), then BIS authorization is required, either through a license or license exception, to fly/sail to Cuba. Commercial aircraft and cargo vessels on temporary sojourn to Cuba may be eligible for License Exception Aircraft, Vessels, and Spacecraft (AVS) (Section 740.15 of the EAR). Note that all corresponding requirements and criteria must be met in order to be eligible for License Exception AVS. 

As of June 5, 2019, a BIS license will be required for the temporary sojourn to Cuba of non-commercial aircraft and non-cargo vessels, and license applications for those vessels will be subject to a general policy of denial.  

Newest article I read stated Royal has already canceled all stops at Cuba starting tomorrow and will change up the ports 

https://www.apnews.com/67c721daee8143d4a2e6ee8c401bf215

20 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

If NCL doesn't know, what makes you think anyone here does? Now back to politics and trash talks.

Royal canceled Cuba stops already starting tomorrow 

I’d Bet all other cruise lines will be doing the same and sending out emails to everyone tomorrow 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LaCal said:

Royal canceled Cuba stops already starting tomorrow 

I’d Bet all other cruise lines will be doing the same and sending out emails to everyone tomorrow 

Sadly I think you are right. 13 days out from what was supposed to be an amazing 10th anniversary cruise is about to turn in to one day in Key West and maybe a stop at Nassau or Great Stirrup Cay. For the price we paid I would have preferred to do something else. 

34 minutes ago, Coral said:

Truly doubt any more cruises are going to be stopping in Cuba.   New ports will be added 

Royal Caribbean already announced it on their website 

I’m sure all other cruise lines will be doing the same by tomorrow 

• Like 1

This might have been mentioned here already, but for those to whom Cuba was the main attraction, as an American you can book a flight into Havana under "Support for the Cuban People".

That hasn't been restricted further, as yet. Thankfully I went last month on a direct flight from JFK to HAV, but I am looking to go again this summer. I've posted about it (still working my way through photos.) if you're interested in how I did it and want to see photos of Havana and Vinales. HTH

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RupanIII said:

Sadly I think you are right. 13 days out from what was supposed to be an amazing 10th anniversary cruise is about to turn in to one day in Key West and maybe a stop at Nassau or Great Stirrup Cay. For the price we paid I would have preferred to do something else. 

It’ll still be a awesome 10th Anniversary no matter what 😃

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you bought Nationwide Cruise insurance check your policy.   The Luxury cruise policy has a benefit of $1250 for any itinerary change before sailing, payable after you complete your cruise.  Their other cruise policies may have a similar, if smaller, payout.  

Just posted to my NCL account

We regret to inform you that today the United States government announced new and immediate travel restrictions to Cuba. As a result, we have ceased all calls to the country and have begun to update itineraries for upcoming sailings. Rest assured that we will communicate to our guests and travel partners as soon as additional information becomes available. We thank you for your patience and understanding as we assess this recent unexpected development and the resulting impact to cruise travel to Cuba.

It's official. All Cuba cruises are being changed.

Edited by RupanIII
Wording

Thank you NLH Arizona,

I had a similar complaint on the MSC thread about the initial announcement of the Cuba restriction and the political posts were taken down.  

I was both surprised and so happy!

This website is about cruising....

nothing else  (IMHO)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, keywest1 said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you bought Nationwide Cruise insurance check your policy.   The Luxury cruise policy has a benefit of $1250 for any itinerary change before sailing, payable after you complete your cruise.  Their other cruise policies may have a similar, if smaller, payout.  

Nationwides Great Pre port change doesn’t apply to Cuba cruises 

I know as we use them 100% and just got back from Cuba 2 weeks ago and the rep let me know 

• Thanks 1

This is nuts, people 😕😮. I am not the regular mod here but  going to act first and beg forgiveness later. 90% of this is political. Find a news forum and discuss politics to your hearts content. This a CRUISE forum. Locking this thread. 

Please create a new, respectful cruise related thread so folks who want to exchange CRUISE related info about this can do so with wading through off topic political sludge.

Thank you.

Host Carolyn!

Edited by Host Carolyn
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2