Additional Tipping

Morganw42

We always like to give our stateroom attendant an additional cash tip.  This will be our first cruise to cover multiple currencies.  We are sailing to from Amsterdam to Denmark and Norway.  Should I tip in Euro, Kroner, or USD?  I don't know what the standard unit of pay is for Viking.

My answer is a bit roundabout and we may even get there in the end.

The currency on board Viking ships is US dollars. Tips have not been pre-paid are charged to our onboard accounts in US$ (NB: this is a courtesy and the amounts can be adjust up or down or even removed; tipping is still voluntary). At the end of the trip, any expenses you have racked up on board will be charged to your credit card in US$.

There are no currency exchange services on board but the Guest Sservice desk can usually break larger dollar or euro notes for you. (Dollars for dollars and euros for euros). I can't remember if they carried other currencies when we sailed with them in Norway.

No idea what currency is used for paying the crew and I'm not sure that it matters. Considering where the Viking ships travel and the predominantly US customer demographic, I would think that either dollars or euros would be acceptable for tipping.

Further considering that you seemed to be based in Basel and considering that you won't actually need dollar bills on board the ship, why go through the hassle of trying to get them when euros will be available from the nearest cash machine when you reach Amsterdam.

44 minutes ago, AGG3 said:

What % extra do you tip for the spa services?  Is USD ok or do you add it as an onboard charge?  Just trying to figure out what is appropriate.  Thanks.

Spa services prices include a 15% gratuity. You may tip more if you wish by simply adding a dollar amount to the slip when it is presented for your signature and it will be added to your onboard tab.

The same goes for the bar, gratuity is included in the price.

Thanks for all of the input.  The only reason I have USDs is my parents were just visiting from the US and they left me with some USD that I'd have to change to use anywhere nearby.

• Like 1

We were in an upscale suite and was so taken with our steward that in addition to paying the pre-pay, we tipped her additional Euros, as well as certain other key people.  I would recommend tipping in Euros if you were in Europe as they have no way to make the exchange in some of the ports.  

• Like 1

On the Sea HL Cruise. I tip in both Euros and Dollars for excursions. Too many different currencies to deal with. Never had anyone refuse dollars. On board I tip both cabin stewards at the “beginning” of the cruise. Our ice is always full and cold and our wine is replenished daily🍷 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VJMAZZ said:

On the Sea HL Cruise. I tip in both Euros and Dollars for excursions. Too many different currencies to deal with. Never had anyone refuse dollars. On board I tip both cabin stewards at the “beginning” of the cruise. Our ice is always full and cold and our wine is replenished daily🍷 

For those who don't routinely tip their steward at the start of the cruise, if you want your ice bucket filled or a fresh bottle of wine in your mini-bar each day, all you have to do is to ask.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

For those who don't routinely tip their steward at the start of the cruise, if you want your ice bucket filled or a fresh bottle of wine in your mini-bar each day, all you have to do is to ask.

True you can ask for things,  but we like to show up front appreciation for the hard work the stewards do. After all a TIP (To Insure Promptness) goes a long way and they anticipate things we want and like. Many times things we didn’t even know about. This process has worked very well for us. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 6:35 AM, VJMAZZ said:

As a  butler on another line who we had known for years said to me “tips before service are considered a bribe.”

The crew want to do their best for you and will be most happy to do so without a “bribe.”  Tipping at the end of a cruise will always be appreciated .

Edited by orchestrapal
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 6/5/2019 at 1:48 PM, Morganw42 said:

We always like to give our stateroom attendant an additional cash tip.  This will be our first cruise to cover multiple currencies.  We are sailing to from Amsterdam to Denmark and Norway.  Should I tip in Euro, Kroner, or USD?  I don't know what the standard unit of pay is for Viking.

Euro/USD if service from Steward is exemplary.  Otherwise just the pre-paid grat is enough.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We just disembarked Jupiter yesterday and tipped our stewards in Euros.  My thinking was that they get to European ports occasionally.  I talked to other folks who used US dollars.  I'm sure either is appreciated.  

Never did the tip in advance thing.
One thing to consider is AFTER receiving exemplary service onboard, call the department and tell them that for example, Steward X has done Y and Z and is terrific.  We found out that as a result the employee is cited at the next department meeting, perhaps that very evening, and a record is made in their performance file.  Those cited tend to get promoted.
Someone that good above and beyond also gets some euros from us at the end of the trip.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Never did the tip in advance thing.
One thing to consider is AFTER receiving exemplary service onboard, call the department and tell them that for example, Steward X has done Y and Z and is terrific.  We found out that as a result the employee is cited at the next department meeting, perhaps that very evening, and a record is made in their performance file.  Those cited tend to get promoted.
Someone that good above and beyond also gets some euros from us at the end of the trip.

Philw1776 -  this is an excellent idea!  It makes perfect sense.  We will definitely take this approach on our upcoming Viking Ocean Cruises.