Why is Norwegian the only cruise line not offering a full refund?

coutierpr

We were to sail to Havana at the end of June.  I understand that this is not the fault of the cruise lines, however, why force us to travel somewhere we had not intended to go?  We would prefer a full refund, like other cruise lines are offering.

My understanding is MSC cruises is telling it's passengers "tough luck" and changing itineraries with absolutely no OBC, credit, or refund of any kind.  Just me but I think NCL's offer is great.  It'll save 50% off a great cruise in the future at some point in the next 2.5 years as well.  

• Like 1

Handcuffing me to a cruise I don't want to go on with the promise of another cruise on the same line, doesn't strike me as the best way moving forward.  We sail out in little more than two weeks and the destination hasn't even been conveyed, although I assume it will be Cozumel.  I'm not saying NCL's deal, should you go with it, isn't a great offer.  I just believe that the full refund should be an option.

8 minutes ago, coutierpr said:

Handcuffing me to a cruise I don't want to go on with the promise of another cruise on the same line, doesn't strike me as the best way moving forward.  We sail out in little more than two weeks and the destination hasn't even been conveyed, although I assume it will be Cozumel.  I'm not saying NCL's deal, should you go with it, isn't a great offer.  I just believe that the full refund should be an option.

Read your contract, section 6.  They are not obligated to give you anything.  If you want guaranteed ports/destinations, cruises are the worst option.

Capture.JPG

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, coutierpr said:

This sucks, but GA Dave is right.  Cruises don't always go as planned.  And the lines are not obligated to do anything for you if they don't.  Things happen out of the lines control, and they are still private businesses that need to protect their bottom line, as well as their investors.  For cruises from September on they are cancelling and starting from scratch.  For the ones through August they are doing what they can to compensate customers for their inconvenience in the most generous way possible while not threatening their financial situation.  I hope it's not Great Stirrup Cay, but that's why I bought insurance if I don't like it, I can cancel.  I would love to visit their private island, but I know not all my travel companions would. So I might cancel for that reason using my insurance.  Otherwise I'm gonna roll with the punches and have a great time.  

• Like 3

Also without knowing the actual size of these individual lines, I suspect lines like Carnival, which is an enormous company that owns several different cruise lines of varying levels of luxury, as well as Royal Caribbean which is also a pretty massive cruise line have more margin for absorbing losses such as this.  I doubt NCL or MSC are as large, especially MSC.  

52 minutes ago, coutierpr said:

We were to sail to Havana at the end of June.  I understand that this is not the fault of the cruise lines, however, why force us to travel somewhere we had not intended to go?  We would prefer a full refund, like other cruise lines are offering.

Hmmm,,, you signed a contract that you do not want to honor?  And you didn't cancel a few months ago when the US announced their intention on doing this?

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, coutierpr said:

tech you are getting a full refund and there are already several threads dealing with this. I don't get your point of posting another one? I dd notice you joined cc a few months ago, but it appears you never thought anything was important enough to post until you had a complaint.  

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

Hmmm,,, you signed a contract that you do not want to honor?  And you didn't cancel a few months ago when the US announced their intention on doing this?

That's an excellent point.  In fact my final payment I don't think was due until after the United States issued a warning they were considering doing this.  Probably as one last attempt to get the Cuban government to change their policy to what the United States was asking.  Once that didn't happen, here we are.  

35 minutes ago, goksucats said:

Also without knowing the actual size of these individual lines, I suspect lines like Carnival, which is an enormous company that owns several different cruise lines of varying levels of luxury, as well as Royal Caribbean which is also a pretty massive cruise line have more margin for absorbing losses such as this.  I doubt NCL or MSC are as large, especially MSC.  

NCL (Holdings) is a publicly traded company also and Holdco owns multiple lines beyond NCL.  NCL would be more than capable of covering the full refunds, this is not a valid excuse.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ColinIllinois said:

Can you provide a link please?

Go to their website and hit Cuba Travel Policy Update #3 and then hit More Info.

CUBA TRAVEL POLICY UPDATE #3 June 6, 2019 10:00 AM ET (2:00 PM UTC)

On June 4, 2019, the United States government announced new and immediate travel restrictions to Cuba. As a result, we have ceased all calls to the country and are modifying previously scheduled sailings as appropriate. We share your disappointment and frustration caused by this unexpected change. Like you, we were surprised by this sudden modification to policy. We thank you for your patience and continued support as we navigate through this recent development. Guests who booked Cuba sailings with us will be contacted very shortly with a detailed communication. Please bear with us as we carefully work through each sailing.

Guests booked on cruises to Cuba through September 2, 2019 have two options:

• Sail the revised itinerary and receive a 50% refund of the cruise fare paid as well as a 50% future cruise credit valid through December 31, 2020.
• Cancel the booking and receive a full refund. If guests choose this option, we must be notified no later than June 11, 2019, midnight EST.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

CUBA TRAVEL POLICY UPDATE #3 June 6, 2019 10:00 AM ET (2:00 PM UTC)

On June 4, 2019, the United States government announced new and immediate travel restrictions to Cuba. As a result, we have ceased all calls to the country and are modifying previously scheduled sailings as appropriate. We share your disappointment and frustration caused by this unexpected change. Like you, we were surprised by this sudden modification to policy. We thank you for your patience and continued support as we navigate through this recent development. Guests who booked Cuba sailings with us will be contacted very shortly with a detailed communication. Please bear with us as we carefully work through each sailing.

• Sail the revised itinerary and receive a 50% refund of the cruise fare paid as well as a 50% future cruise credit valid through December 31, 2020.
• Cancel the booking and receive a full refund. If guests choose this option, we must be notified no later than June 11, 2019, midnight EST.

Sailings beyond September 2, 2019 will be automatically cancelled and refunds will be applied to the original form of payment. Guests impacted by these cancellations are offered a 20% discount off current cruise fares on any new voyages booked by August 5, 2019 for sailings no later than December 31, 2020.

We are so very sorry for this last-minute change but we do look forward to welcoming you on board again soon and providing an exceptional vacation experience. With our world-class team, our innovative fleet and over 300 destinations to visit, we know you will have the vacation of a lifetime no matter the destination.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Go to their website and hit Cuba Travel Policy Update #3 and then hit More Info.

CUBA TRAVEL POLICY UPDATE #3 June 6, 2019 10:00 AM ET (2:00 PM UTC)

Very generous of NCL to do this, but my bet is you are still going to get people complaining over a situation that NCL has no control over!! Take it up with the White House lol. Myself I would sail with the 50% credit and then a voucher for another 50% credit on future cruise

Edited by njkate
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, njkate said:

Very generous of NCL to do this, but my bet is you are still going to get people complaining over a situation that NCL has no control over!! Take it up with the White House lol. Myself I would sail with the 50% credit and then a voucher for another 50% credit on future cruise

No doubt, two cruises for the price of one.  

• Like 4