Seville Docking Port

neilrr

We are travelling on Sirena next month and everything I have read on Oceania points toward ships docking in Cadiz.  After a discussion on our ships' thread, someone mentioned that the ship will be going up the Guadalquivir river and docking in Seville (not Cadiz).  Has anyone had this experience?  I have not seen anything on it before.  I hope they are correct. If so, is it in a central location of Seville, as we have an overnight? Thank you

Edited by neilrr

47 minutes ago, neilrr said:

We are travelling on Sirena next month and everything I have read on Oceania points toward ships docking in Cadiz.  After a discussion on our ships' thread, someone mentioned that the ship will be going up the Guadalquivir river and docking in Seville (not Cadiz).  Has anyone had this experience?  I have not seen anything on it before.  I hope they are correct. If so, is it in a central location of Seville, as we have an overnight? Thank you

I have been on 'R' class ships that have gone up the Guadalquivir river and docked close to the centre of Seville. From the dock it is a 20 minute walk to Seville centre. Often there is a shuttle bus to take you to the centre if you don't want to walk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belfastman said:

I have been on 'R' class ships that have gone up the Guadalquivir river and docked close to the centre of Seville. From the dock it is a 20 minute walk to Seville centre. Often there is a shuttle bus to take you to the centre if you don't want to walk.

Belfastman - Thank you. Everything we read did not say anything about going up the river.  Great!!! :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, Belfastman said:

That is where we were several years ago on HAL on the Prinesdam. At that time we walked which was nice to Seville center.

Denise😊

• Like 1

Ships enter the Guadalquivir River from the Atlantic Ocean at Sanlucar De Barrameda and traverse nearly 55 miles upriver to Sevilla which is Spain's only inland Port.

Much like the Mississippi River, the Guadalquivir meandered through Sevilla and was prone to flooding so in 1918 a straighter main channel was begun further west so that today the actual 'river' through the city is the Canal de Alfonso XIII.

On the southwest edge of Sevilla, the Canal branches off from the River into the Esclusa de Sevilla - Puerta del Mar ship lock which regulates the water level making Canal and Port free of tidal influence. The water level in the Canal is generally lower than the river level.

In the Canal, after passing one draw bridge, Cruise ships berth at the Tablada wharf. There is no Terminal per se but a rather a building called Muelle de las Delicias. 

For the location at Google maps use:

Muelle de las Delicias, Av. Santiago Montoto, 1, 41012 Sevilla, Spain

There is a photo on Google maps showing Oceania Nautica tied up at the dock.

As you will see, it is about a one-half mile (500 meter) walk East to the Plaza de España. A walk North to the the Catedral de Sevilla would be about 1.5 miles - mostly tree lined and really not that far.

Bus #3 towards the city center stops in front of the Muelle de las Delicias building. There is a Tram stop further East of the Plaza de España but it is nearly as far as just walking directly.

We are on Sirena Rome to Miami in November with an overnight on Saturday.  TAPAS TIME   This will our 5th visit to a city we really love.

Edited by ICT lineman

I had no idea any cruise ship docked anywhere other than Cadiz.  However, that's great if yours does.  If not, there are buses and trains from Cadiz to Seville, and when we were in Cadiz on Regatta, we used the bus there and train back.  We weren't in Cadiz overnight, but with the time we had, we managed to see a number of things in Seville, have lunch, and be back on the ship for an earlyish dinner.  I went back out and walked along the seafront around dusk and saw locals and tourists enjoying sunset on the beach.  Some people may not want to make the effort to get to Seville for only 5-6 hours, but we found it worthwhile.  But I also liked what I saw in Cadiz as well.  Either place you dock, I suspect you'll have a nice experience. 

4 hours ago, roothy123 said:

I had no idea any cruise ship docked anywhere other than Cadiz.  However, that's great if yours does.  If not, there are buses and trains from Cadiz to Seville, and when we were in Cadiz on Regatta, we used the bus there and train back.  We weren't in Cadiz overnight, but with the time we had, we managed to see a number of things in Seville, have lunch, and be back on the ship for an earlyish dinner.  I went back out and walked along the seafront around dusk and saw locals and tourists enjoying sunset on the beach.  Some people may not want to make the effort to get to Seville for only 5-6 hours, but we found it worthwhile.  But I also liked what I saw in Cadiz as well.  Either place you dock, I suspect you'll have a nice experience. 

roothy123 - We were surprised as well... Some other members in our CC group had it on their travel information that it was Seville. We had the original information that discussed Cadiz.  We are happy to go to Seville, as we have an overnight there too.

ICT lineman - Thank you for that wonderful information.  We just picked up our DK Eyewitness Top 10 book for Lisbon as well as Andalucia and Seville. We use that series of books for all major cities and regions - it is small (to carry) and has city and transit maps too. We are on the 7/5 Sirena trip next month... We try to get to Europe every year.. Thanks again!!!:classic_smile:

Edited by neilrr

We docked in Seville, not Cadiz.  We were on Windstar Star Legend.  It is smaller than any O ship. The ride on the river was beautiful.  We walked off the ship and were really close to middle of town.  We walk slowly and we’re at the Alcazar in 10 minutes.  It was fabulous.

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

We docked in Seville, not Cadiz.  We were on Windstar Star Legend.  It is smaller than any O ship. The ride on the river was beautiful.  We walked off the ship and were really close to middle of town.  We walk slowly and we’re at the Alcazar in 10 minutes.  It was fabulous.

Redtravel - Thank you so much for the information.  We have an overnight there, so we are looking forward to an evening in Seville. 😀

• 2 weeks later...

Found videos of docking in Sevilla.

Cruise ships turn around at the container Port and reverse through a draw bridge to the dock. The Azamara Quest is the former Renaissance R Seven ship.

Azamara Quest March 2013 - Reverse Entry in to Seville HD

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eT2tH6TpZJw

Docked in the port of Sevilla

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=do5_Qq3apyI

Oceania Sirena. Departure from Seville

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KRUBudr0RLY

FYI, case you did not already know, Oceania R ships are also former Renaissance ships. Insigina R One, Regatta R Two, Sirena R Four, Nautica R-Five

Edited by ICT lineman