Question About Shore Excursion Credits

sandyss

We will each have a shore excursion credit when we board our cruise in July.  If I book the excursion that we want now (and pay for it), can I cancel and rebook it once onboard using the shore excursion credits that we will have??  Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks.

Also, there are 10% cancellation penalties on some tours if you wait to cancel until you are onboard and only a few days away from the tour.  Some tours that involve aircraft, like helicopter tours, require many more days if you want to cancel and expect to get your money back.   Yes, it is a gamble that the tour you booked online may be sold out when you board the ship.  If you cancel, to get your cash back and re-book onboard, you will go to the bottom of the waiting list, and it may never clear.

Are you talking about redeeming points on the HAL Barclay card for shore excursions? If so, check if that doesn't just appear as OBC on your shipboard account; I think it may. If so, it isn't restricted to only shore excursions. You can put it to any on board expense.

We each have a $100 Shore Excursion Credit, that we won't be able to access until we embark on our cruise next month.  We are doing mainly private tours on our cruise, but there is one ship excursion that we might like to take.  I can book it now, but will need to pay for it now.  It is a bus excursion.   My question is - can I apply our Shore Excursion Credits to this excursion once we are onboard, and get a refund for what we paid.  (We were able to do this with OBC on a prior Celebrity cruise.) 

On 6/9/2019 at 7:51 PM, sandyss said:

We each have a $100 Shore Excursion Credit, that we won't be able to access until we embark on our cruise next month.  We are doing mainly private tours on our cruise, but there is one ship excursion that we might like to take.  I can book it now, but will need to pay for it now.  It is a bus excursion.   My question is - can I apply our Shore Excursion Credits to this excursion once we are onboard, and get a refund for what we paid.  (We were able to do this with OBC on a prior Celebrity cruise.) 

We are in the same boat. I want to book with my $100 pp excursion credit , but must pay to book excursion upfront. I am hoping that if I book now, that the credit will be subtracted from our account when on board. Not really sure how that works. I might go ahead and call HAL with this question.

Edited by pmjnh

5 hours ago, pmjnh said:

We are in the same boat. I want to book with my $100 pp excursion credit , but must pay to book excursion upfront. I am hoping that if I book now, that the credit will be subtracted from our account when on board. Not really sure how that works. I might go ahead and call HAL with this question.

I just called Shore Excursions at HAL, and was told to just bring the Excursion Credits (which should be in our cabin when we embark) to the Shore Excursions desk, and they should refund the amount that we paid.  So I booked the excursion that we want, and will keep my fingers crossed.

4 hours ago, sandyss said:

I just called Shore Excursions at HAL, and was told to just bring the Excursion Credits (which should be in our cabin when we embark) to the Shore Excursions desk, and they should refund the amount that we paid.  So I booked the excursion that we want, and will keep my fingers crossed.

Thats seems like the way it should be. I'd be pissed if I had a credit I could not use because all excursions I was interested in sold out prior to the cruise. We tend to do mostly private ourselves, but often look at ships excursions to get rid of excess non-refundable OBC.  

21 hours ago, sandyss said:

Sounds like a reasonable solution.  And if they do not honor it, you can still use the money on another tour.

1 hour ago, New Mexico 8 said:

We too are use to Celebrity cruises OBC.  if we have OBC as a perk is it NR or refundable ??  I would love to book a  ship tour now but I am afraid my OBC will be NR.

Also can we book land tours now or on board or do we have  to wait until on our land tour?? 

Prepaid refunds are "refundable OBC" and used after the "non-refundable OBC" is depleted.

If your "land tours" are part of an Alaska cruisetour, you can only book land portion events online and NOT after you board the ship (I learned that this past week when I wanted to add an excursion in Denali).  If you mean shore excursions that occur during a cruise, you can book both online and while onboard the ship.

Edited by Crew News