Comparing Princess and Royal Caribbean

Just wondered which line, Princess or Royal Caribbean you prefer, and why?

We are Platinum with both Princess and Royal Caribbean and travel in Balcony/ Deluxe Balcony Cabins. Have recently sailed Majestic Princess and Oasis of the Seas., with just six weeks apart.  These are some general comments about what we preferred on each ship. We are not very social, so tend to avoid shows, daily activities etc.

We usually choose cruises which fit our available time frame and/or itinerary.  We found food to be much the same and drink prices on both lines to be over the top. Excursions are also expensive on each line. We are noticing increasing prices and less value for money with both lines.

Princess

Larger rectangular sink in bathroom..far more useful for rinsing swimsuits/underwear.

More space in shower..... shower gel, shampoo and conditioner not good.

Pool towel system far simpler...help yourself not keep checking towels in/out daily, using set sail pass.

Ice delivered twice daily.

Robes on request in Balcony cabin

Steward always busy.

Not many MDR waiters..long waits

Excellent steward service on deck and in buffet

Barrel chair removed

Poorly organised, expensive shore excursions

Too much art auction/ EFFY paperwork

International Cafe does not serve 'included ' tea or coffee.

Royal Caribbean

Balcony is wider

Coffee radically better

Less formal in MDR...shorts even allowed on formal night (Not good!) don't mind on Casual nights.

Armchair or settee in cabin.

No ice or robes provided in balcony cabin.

Shampoo/shower gel not wonderful.

Daily news letter far too long.

Steward seemed to have more time

More stewards in MDR but poorly directed. Very good deck service.

Less 'nickle and diming'/ art auction paperwork.

We have booked our last cruise as Platinum on Princess and next one will be Elite.  We have cruised 5 times on RCCL.  None of what you have listed above matters one iota to us.  Princess appeals to us due to its more sedate atmosphere and its itineraries.  RCCL has made their ships into a floating carnival and may have more rides than a local amusement park.  Its itineraries are not as good as Princess.  I've looked and compared for what we are interested in and Princess wins every time.  RCCL is a great cruise line for families with children, but we are beyond that stage.  

Nice comparison and thanks for posting.  Just a couple of comments relative to RCI:

• The balcony size is relative to the stateroom size, and there are different sub-categories within the balcony category that will differ slightly in balcony size. So this could vary in your comparison.
  • The same holds true for the furniture appointments in that some balcony categories will have a couch and others a love seat.  (This also can be related to whether or not the staterooms are connecting with another).
  • Ice is always available by request to your stateroom attendant as are (depending on C & A tier level) robes and slippers.
  • RCI dropped their formal night requirements a number of years ago and that designation is nothing more than a suggestion and guideline for those who wish to dress formally for dinner.  This is also typical of most mass market cruise lines.  

And just for clarity the staff in the MDR are not stewards but are waitstaff consisting of a table waiter and assistant waiter (along with numerous head waiters that oversee a small staff of waiters and assistant waiters).

Drink prices tend to be comparable to those with most land based restaurant and resorts and also don't vary much in the industry. Your value statement would also apply to most cruise lines these days.

To your question as to preferred lines, while we still cruise frequently with RCI, our mass-market preference would be Celebrity.  IMO better food, personalized service, attention to passengers, and more of the traditional cruise style as the primary reasons for us.

Again, good points in your post and thanks for sharing.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

We stopped cruising princess 7 years ago , after cruises on Crown and Caribbean princess found those ships way to crowded , not enough seats in theater, saw fight on saving seats in theater.  Did not have a issue on grand princess. Rccl is our favorite love there ice show on there larger ships never had issue getting seats for shows. Agree on rccl lack of dress codes, wish they would enforce a dress code like they used to. Always thought rccl ships could handle crowds on all there ships. 

11 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I thought robes were provided to Platinum and above on RCI.  Maybe my memory isn't serving me right.  Did you ask for one?  You can also request daily ice.

You are correct, Paul - as also cited in my response: 🙂

Ice is always available by request to your stateroom attendant as are (depending on C & A tier level) robes and slippers.

But I don't recall if Platinum includes the robes.  (That may start at Emerald or Diamond?)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You are correct, Paul - as also cited in my response: 🙂

Ice is always available by request to your stateroom attendant as are (depending on C & A tier level) robes and slippers.

Ah-ha!  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, George C said:

We stopped cruising princess 7 years ago , after cruises on Crown and Caribbean princess found those ships way to crowded , not enough seats in theater...

I felt the same way on Caribbean.  The ship felt really crowded to me.  Same goes for Ruby. 

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

And just for clarity the staff in the MDR are not stewards but are waitstaff consisting of a table waiter and assistant waiter (along with numerous head waiters that oversee a small staff of waiters and assistant waiters).

Thanks for your reply.

When I started cruising in 1969, cabin attendant was called' cabin steward' and dining room waiter was called  'table steward'. Suppose I have stuck with what I was taught as a child.

I appreciate language evolves though and should try to keep up !!

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

Thanks for your reply.

When I started cruising in 1969, cabin attendant was called' cabin steward' and dining room waiter was called  'table steward'. Suppose I have stuck with what I was taught as a child.

I appreciate language evolves though and should try to keep up !!

Wasn't picking - sorry if it came off that way.  They all still provide the same service!

Enjoy your cruises!

we find Princess food to be a whole lot better than RCI's, but we have always loved RCI's entertainment and great activities for the whole family. Princess is more sedate and doesn't offer much to kids who don't do kid's club.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

We enjoy both lines - the itineraries and time in port is what matters most to us. We cruise exclusively on European itineraries and enjoy both ocean and river cruises. Can't say that we were ever disappointed regardless of with whom we booked.