Another Edge pricing thread

Mynki

Well I've just booked a 10 night Med cruise on an M class rust bucket. The cost for an Aquaclass room was £1296 ($1650) per person. As it was through Celebrity UK and with their current offer, it included a classic drinks package and grats thrown in. It also includes taxes and port fees. Our UK based TA applied a discount to the fare too which was nice. 

Add the cost of airfares and three nights accommodation in a 4* central Rome and Barcelona hotel and the total cost of our holiday is less than some seven night cruise only sailings on Edge in Aquaclass....

And I have a real balcony! A rusty balcony probably, but still a true balcony...

Edited by Mynki
  • Like 3

And another comparison. Not quite apples to apples but which would you prefer if you had just over ten grand to spend on a cruise?

10 nights Med Sky suite 1 on Edge or 10 nights Med in a Penthouse on Connie?

e-class.jpg

m-class.jpg

Wonder if this has something to do specifically with 7 night sailings in Europe?  It is a very high cost for North Americans at least to fly to Europe, stay a few nights on either side, and then take a standard 7-day cruise on a very expensive new ship.  Many would perhaps spend their money on a longer destination cruise on a less expensive ship.  Or there are longer cruises (9+ nights) on Edge.  I wonder if those are booking any better?

CEO Richard Fain on tge most recent earnings call. He thanks you for "delicious yields."

"Now as it pertains to our improved business outlook, I should first highlight the new buildings that our guests will be able to enjoy this year. First, we continue to enjoy delicious yields on our new ships from last year Celebrity Edge and Symphony of the Seas. We continue to find that our guest appreciate the innovation and the focus that's characterized, our new ship and more importantly they're willing to pay for it."

23 hours ago, Jammu2 said:

CEO Richard Fain on tge most recent earnings call. He thanks you for "delicious yields."

"Now as it pertains to our improved business outlook, I should first highlight the new buildings that our guests will be able to enjoy this year. First, we continue to enjoy delicious yields on our new ships from last year Celebrity Edge and Symphony of the Seas. We continue to find that our guest appreciate the innovation and the focus that's characterized, our new ship and more importantly they're willing to pay for it."

Richard Fain was commenting on Q1 financial results.  I think Edge sailed pretty full because a lot of people booked far in advance (like me) before the ship was built and launched.  The next 90 day window post launch is Q2 which ends in a few weeks.  It will be interesting to see if the financial results discussion for Q2 is the same message or not.

23 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Wonder if this has something to do specifically with 7 night sailings in Europe?  It is a very high cost for North Americans at least to fly to Europe, stay a few nights on either side, and then take a standard 7-day cruise on a very expensive new ship.  Many would perhaps spend their money on a longer destination cruise on a less expensive ship.  Or there are longer cruises (9+ nights) on Edge.  I wonder if those are booking any better?

I think the short itineraries will be a factor, though back to back options are available. . 

Longer itineraries are looking a bit better. 

On 6/12/2019 at 8:09 AM, TeeRick said:

I also think the 7 night sailings are a factor and it has been harder to find reasonable air fare to Europe, even through Choice Air.  We avoided Europe for this year due to air cost and instead are doing 2 cruises out of LA, 1 of out NJ and 1 repo from South America.  

We are booked on the 15  ight April, 2020 Edge TA which, btw, is priced lower per day than the Infinity & Reflection TAs and the same as the Silhouette.  Air fares would keep us from taking this except we have miles we can use

On 6/11/2019 at 11:33 AM, Cruise Junky said:

The September 20th sailing is wide open and about half the cost of yours.    They are showing all categories including all categories of suites being available.

I noticed this price difference a couple of months ago. I would have cancelled and booked Sept. 20, but we've had our non-refundable flights for about 5 months now. When I first booked, over a year ago, the prices were pretty close to each other. Oh well.

6 minutes ago, cruisin_123 said:

I noticed this price difference a couple of months ago. I would have cancelled and booked Sept. 20, but we've had our non-refundable flights for about 5 months now. When I first booked, over a year ago, the prices were pretty close to each other. Oh well.

paying a change fee wouldn't cost that much if you were interested in switching, although higher air cost might kill the deal.

2 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

paying a change fee wouldn't cost that much if you were interested in switching, although higher air cost might kill the deal.

I got a fantastic price on tickets through British Airways. They went on sale for about a day (or an hour, who knows) and I snagged them! I'm not giving them up for the world! Now that I'm past final payment, I'll stay where I'm at. It does seem like my sailing is quite popular, and it should still be warm enough in Greece to hit some beaches.

I've been reading threads on people being offered upgrades on significant price drops after final payment. I didn't book through a TA, but you don't get 100% of the things you don't ask for, so, if the price does drop, I'm going to try for an upgrade anyways.