Canaletto's New Menu?

canadarocks

I was on Amsterdam for 89 days last fall, and went to Canaletto once. I had read here that so many people love the zuppa di pesce, and since I love fish, I wanted to try it. It was nothing more than tomato soup with some fish dumped in. Two bites and I sent it back. When the manager came to ask why, I said that it was because whoever is cooking in the Canaletto kitchen has no idea what Italian food is supposed to taste like. 

• Like 1

We've sailed (and eaten) on HAL for more than 25 years. There's a steady decline in the quality and portion size of the meals. A new menu doesn't make up for the decline, it simply dresses it up differently. The psotter who mentioned Olive Garden was on point. What could be a distinctive venue is simply a corner of the Lido with extra garlic bread.

• Like 3

Speaking of Canaletto, when did the price go from $15 to $19????  (and PG from $35 to $39)  Now with our 25% discount, Canaletto is only 75 cents lower than what the previous regular price was ($14.25 discounted price now vs $15 regular price previously).  Glad we'll be eligible for the 50% discount after our upcoming cruise at the end of July but still  ………….  🙄

29 minutes ago, zelker said:

Speaking of Canaletto, when did the price go from $15 to $19????  (and PG from $35 to $39)  Now with our 25% discount, Canaletto is only 75 cents lower than what the previous regular price was ($14.25 discounted price now vs $15 regular price previously).  Glad we'll be eligible for the 50% discount after our upcoming cruise at the end of July but still  ………….  🙄

It’s gone up?  Haven’t seen any posts in that regard.

It was still $15 for Canaletto in May - April on our cruise and PG was still at $35.

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

It’s gone up?  Haven’t seen any posts in that regard.

It was still $15 for Canaletto in May - April on our cruise and PG was still at $35.

I just logged into our July 29th Amsterdam cruise to check availability for a couple different nights and to my surprise, that's what it was showing to reserve either one.  When I last checked about a month ago, it showed $15 and $35.  

1 hour ago, zelker said:

I just logged into our July 29th Amsterdam cruise to check availability for a couple different nights and to my surprise, that's what it was showing to reserve either one.  When I last checked about a month ago, it showed $15 and $35.  

Thanks for the info and Thanks for the heads up!

I’m guessing Sel de Mer has gone up too

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the info and Thanks for the heads up!

I’m guessing Sel de Mer has gone up too

You bet.  And I just started a thread to let others know.

Sel de Mer shows $49.  Is that an increase? (have never been so not sure)

1 hour ago, zelker said:

I just checked my August 18th cruise and sure enough, the prices for Canaletto and Pinnacle Grill have gone  up.  The prices on the Sel de Mer pop up and De Librije are the same as they were before.   I'm glad I already have my reservations at the old rate.

1 minute ago, zelker said:

You bet.  And I just started a thread to let others know.

Sel de Mer shows $49.  Is that an increase? (have never been so not sure)

Thanks for starting the thread.

No, the Sel de Mer price is the same - it has not gone up in price (yet).

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

I just checked my August 18th cruise and sure enough, the prices for Canaletto and Pinnacle Grill have gone  up.  The prices on the Sel de Mer pop up and De Librije are the same as they were before.   I'm glad I already have my reservations at the old rate.

I didn't book anything ahead of time because we get a Mariner discount once onboard.  Oh well - at least now I won't try to argue with Guest Services that's wrong when I see the higher price show up!  

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Thanks for starting the thread.

No, the Sel de Mer price is the same - it has not gone up in price (yet).

My exact thought (… yet)!  😉

2 minutes ago, zelker said:

I didn't book anything ahead of time because we get a Mariner discount once onboard.  Oh well - at least now I won't try to argue with Guest Services that's wrong when I see the higher price show up!  

I do get my discount once on board.  So far, no problem with that thanks to kazu fighting the good fight over Sel de Mer.  I like to plan what nights I want to go and what time I want to go as well.  

Just a heads up - I always prebook for specific dates and times before we board.

I always get a rebate in the way of OBC (loyalty discount) for the Mariner discount I am entitled to up to 4*

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Just a heads up - I always prebook for specific dates and times before we board.

I always get a rebate in the way of OBC (loyalty discount) for the Mariner discount I am entitled to up to 4*

Well, DARN!!!  I obviously did not know we could do that.   Do you happen to know if it's refundable or non-refundable OBC?

Well, DARN!!!  I obviously did not know we could do that.   Do you happen to know if it's refundable or non-refundable OBC?

Mine has been refundable OBC, it is money you paid and are being refunded.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, zelker said:

4 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Mine has been refundable OBC, it is money you paid and are being refunded.

Agree with Rich - it’s refundable - just like OBC you purchase yourself 😉 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Agree with Rich - it’s refundable - just like OBC you purchase yourself 😉 

Well, that's what I would have expected but then you just never know.  LOL  

Last questions - the discount is applicable to the Sel de Mer, right?  And do I have to ask to have the OBC discount applied to any specialty dining reservations I book ahead of time or will it automatically show up on our onboard account?

On 6/13/2019 at 11:58 PM, bigez said:

We've sailed (and eaten) on HAL for more than 25 years. There's a steady decline in the quality and portion size of the meals. A new menu doesn't make up for the decline, it simply dresses it up differently. The psotter who mentioned Olive Garden was on point. What could be a distinctive venue is simply a corner of the Lido with extra garlic bread.

I previously mentioned Olive Garden.  You can get one of their classic dishes plus accompaniments, early duo before 5pm,  for $8.99.   We are not  Olive  Garden fans but from time to time we duck in for a quick bite.   Holland America is charging $19 for budget food that should be free.   

Im a big Italian food fan and I’ve tried scores of them, on land and at sea.   All the way from Olive Garden to Babbo.  

Also Whole Foods sells a delicious, ready to cook,  very large meatball,  buy a couple, buy some of their fresh pasta and a jar of Rao and you come in less than $19.  It is delicious.  

Edited by sammiedawg

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Well, that's what I would have expected but then you just never know.  LOL  

Last questions - the discount is applicable to the Sel de Mer, right?  And do I have to ask to have the OBC discount applied to any specialty dining reservations I book ahead of time or will it automatically show up on our onboard account?

I think you mean the Mariner discount?

It SHOULD show up on the first and at the very least second day of your cruise.

I normally see it on embarkation day if I check later in the day or by the morning of the 2nd day.

The discount does apply for Sel de Mer.  I had an issue a year ago, but this time it was as smooth as silk (all my other dinner reservations are credited right away).

If it’s not there by the second day, address it immediately.

Because of the issues I had a year ago, I emailed the Mariner’s Society and had their email (in case) confirming it qualified for the Mariner’s discount.  I didn’t need it. 😉  

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, kazu said:

The discount does apply for Sel de Mer.  I had an issue a year ago, but this time it was as smooth as silk (all my other dinner reservations are credited right away).

I had no problem with getting my Sel de Mer discounts, thanks to you!  However, unlike the Pinnacle and Canaletto discounts, Sel de Mer discounts did not show up until the day I had dinner there.

3 hours ago, dfish said:

I had no problem with getting my Sel de Mer discounts, thanks to you!  However, unlike the Pinnacle and Canaletto discounts, Sel de Mer discounts did not show up until the day I had dinner there.

Mine did show up on day 2 on my last cruise. 

But that was the same ship and I think they were “educated”. 😉 

It’s really weird how some ships are handling Sel de Mer.  It makes no sense at all.  Some seem determined (or don’t understand) to classify it as a “themed” restaurant and therefore it (the Mariner discount)  doesn’t apply.  True on Cellar Master, etc. But Sel de Mer is not one of those.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Mine did show up on day 2 on my last cruise. 

But that was the same ship and I think they were “educated”. 😉 

It’s really weird how some ships are handling Sel de Mer.  It makes no sense at all.  Some seem determined (or don’t understand) to classify it as a “themed” restaurant and therefore it (the Mariner discount)  doesn’t apply.  True on Cellar Master, etc. But Sel de Mer is not one of those.

Well, we'll see what happens this summer.  I'm back on the Rotterdam, so I expect that it should be the same.  But, a different PG manager can make a difference.

On 6/15/2019 at 2:53 PM, sammiedawg said:

I previously mentioned Olive Garden.  You can get one of their classic dishes plus accompaniments, early duo before 5pm,  for $8.99.   We are not  Olive  Garden fans but from time to time we duck in for a quick bite.   Holland America is charging $19 for budget food that should be free.   

Im a big Italian food fan and I’ve tried scores of them, on land and at sea.   All the way from Olive Garden to Babbo.  

Also Whole Foods sells a delicious, ready to cook,  very large meatball,  buy a couple, buy some of their fresh pasta and a jar of Rao and you come in less than $19.  It is delicious.  

Olive Garden is MUCH better than Canaletto!

Our MDR table of 6 tried the new menu on the Amsterdam during the World Cruise, and we all thought it was pretty bad.  Tomato sauces were more like tomato soup than anything else.  (Not that there's anything wrong with tomato soup, but that's not what you want on your pasta!)  Fish … bad.  Chicken … bad.  Lasagna … bad.  I'm the one who ordered lasagna, I love lasagna, and I'd eaten all types in many places, and this was the worst I've ever had.  Menu descriptions did not match what we were served.  And WAY too much salt.  None of us finished our appetizers or entrees.  Desserts were okay, nothing super special or good.

We did complain to our waiter, and the chef came out at some point … we let him have it with both barrels.

Service was glacially slow, as it usually is in any of the HAL specialty restaurants.  

53 minutes ago, Lady Chew said:

Our MDR table of 6 tried the new menu on the Amsterdam during the World Cruise, and we all thought it was pretty bad.  Tomato sauces were more like tomato soup than anything else.  (Not that there's anything wrong with tomato soup, but that's not what you want on your pasta!)  Fish … bad.  Chicken … bad.  Lasagna … bad.  I'm the one who ordered lasagna, I love lasagna, and I'd eaten all types in many places, and this was the worst I've ever had.  Menu descriptions did not match what we were served.  And WAY too much salt.  None of us finished our appetizers or entrees.  Desserts were okay, nothing super special or good.

We did complain to our waiter, and the chef came out at some point … we let him have it with both barrels.

Service was glacially slow, as it usually is in any of the HAL specialty restaurants.  

We were on the Volendam Fall 2017 and tried Canaletto.  It wasn’t bad but way too salty as was everything In MDR. The Canaletto had ac at full blast making the experience very uncomfortable. Hoping for improvements this November as last time was right after drydock.

59 minutes ago, Lady Chew said:

Olive Garden has pretty good  lasagna and chicken Parm, both on early duo $8.99 menu.  I’ve picked up trays of lasagna for drop in company and everyone ate heartily.

Olive Garden salad is delicious.  Don’t care for their garlic heavy breadsticks.