Explorer - missing dates

eliana

Not sure if this has been covered on another thread. The Explorer has no cruise dates between 29 October in Rome and 12 November in Barcelona. Is she on charter or in dry dock somewhere? If in dry dock, what for?

Drydock ship will be three years old an in need of sprucing up.  I am hoping they also fix the theater, rear elevator lobby on deck 5, and sound in Compass Rose.

Edited by mrlevin

Interesting - I know that she is going into dry dock in October but do not know the dates.  If it the dates mentioned, it is much later than expected.

Note:  To my knowledge, the sight lines in the theater cannot be fixed without ripping out the theater.  However, I've also heard that the theater on Splendor will be much better than on Explorer (although, if you get to the theater early enough, there are plenty of seats with good sight lines ......it is the balcony that is the issue (and behind the large columns).  

3 hours ago, bebop bonnie said:

Anyone know what more specifically is meant by 'sprucing up'???

Historically it's been 'soft goods', i.e carpet, drapes, bedding, furniture, etc.  Usually no reconfiguration or major changes.  But if that's what they have planned for Explorer, well, that's anyone's guess at this point (at least I haven't seen anything otherwise).

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I believe that they will be fixing "whistling" doors while in dry dock.

What a shame. I thought that was a feature!

But seriously, I hope they add comfortable chairs to the suites that need them, like the Superior ones.

26 minutes ago, physadv said:

I understand that the booth seating in Prime 7 will be corrected because of the number of complaints that it is too low.

Interesting!  I had not noticed that when we visited P7.  I have noticed that the chairs on all Regent ships (in the lounges) tend to be very low and can be difficult to get out of.

22 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Interesting!  I had not noticed that when we visited P7.  I have noticed that the chairs on all Regent ships (in the lounges) tend to be very low and can be difficult to get out of.

And many are way too deep. Everyone is having to borrow pillows from any empty chair to put behind their back...at least many women.

10 hours ago, rcandkc said:

And many are way too deep. Everyone is having to borrow pillows from any empty chair to put behind their back...at least many women.

I found this exactly the same had to sit on a cushion, but even worse the Pacific Rim seating at very back of restaurant I ended up having 2 cushions to sit on and felt a bit wobbly as well as silly looking 😳. Last year again in Pacific Rim we asked to sit at a table proper and even the chair felt too low for me? 

Jean.

1 hour ago, liptastic said:

I found this exactly the same had to sit on a cushion, but even worse the Pacific Rim seating at very back of restaurant I ended up having 2 cushions to sit on and felt a bit wobbly as well as silly looking 😳. Last year again in Pacific Rim we asked to sit at a table proper and even the chair felt too low for me? 

Jean.

I agree. I am not a fan of the fixed banquette seating in the speciality restaurants on Explorer.

We also ask to sit at a table with chairs if available.

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree that the seats are too low but, with a pillow, we find Pacific Rim to be amongst the most comfortable seating arrangement on the ship.

I’m not against the low..many lounge seats are too deep..2 pillows behind back are required by many women. Navigator lounge chairs were a real issue.  Hope they fixed. 

I am confused. This thread started up as a query as to what was happening during the missing days in the Explorer's itinerary. It seems that it will be in dry dock.But what for is a mystery. Seats, cushions, pillows and booths are trivial. There must be more to it. 

1 hour ago, eliana said:

I am confused. This thread started up as a query as to what was happening during the missing days in the Explorer's itinerary. It seems that it will be in dry dock.But what for is a mystery. Seats, cushions, pillows and booths are trivial. There must be more to it. 

That are the type of things they try to fix in short dry docks.  Also, carpet, drapes, etc. 

2 hours ago, eliana said:

Agree with you and I really should take the time to look at when Explorer will be refurbished (know that it will be October).  Agree that suggestions for changes on Explorer are not only trivial but a waste of time to post (even though I contributed to it).  What is planned for the refurbishment (not sure what this entails) will happen and there is really nothing that posters on CC can do to change it.

Sometimes I think about the conflicting "requests" for changes on Explorer and Splendor and shake my head.  Regent is well aware of issues and will fix what they can or what is necessary.  The other stuff will be ignored.  One cannot please everyone and, on CC, this statement could not be more true.

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree with you and I really should take the time to look at when Explorer will be refurbished (know that it will be October).  Agree that suggestions for changes on Explorer are not only trivial but a waste of time to post (even though I contributed to it).  What is planned for the refurbishment (not sure what this entails) will happen and there is really nothing that posters on CC can do to change it.

Sometimes I think about the conflicting "requests" for changes on Explorer and Splendor and shake my head.  Regent is well aware of issues and will fix what they can or what is necessary.  The other stuff will be ignored.  One cannot please everyone and, on CC, this statement could not be more true.

I totally disagree.  Just like other issues on the ship we discuss this is important.  We know they read here along with other comments.  My comments regarded all chairs if applicable on all the Regent  ship...I gave an example.  We were talking about drydock and possible changes they could make simply.  

1 hour ago, rcandkc said:

I totally disagree.  Just like other issues on the ship we discuss this is important.  We know they read here along with other comments.  My comments regarded all chairs if applicable on all the Regent  ship...I gave an example.  We were talking about drydock and possible changes they could make simply.  

And I must respectfully disagree with you.  This is an old topic.  The height and depth of chairs was discussed probably 2 refurbishments ago (obviously not on Explorer).  Corporate was well aware that some (certainly not all) passengers felt that the chairs were difficult to get into and out of (at that time, I was about to have knee surgery so this was a huge issue for me).

The one thing that Regent did replace were the bar stools -- they were almost impossible to get into or out of.  Most of the chairs in the lounges were reupholstered.  

For better or worse, Regent cannot make changes based on everyone's comments (unless they were all the same). What is an issue for me may well not be an issue for you or others.  As evidenced on the Regent boards, posters do not automatically agree about everything.  

In terms of a "simple" change, nothing is really simple when it comes to furnishing a cruise ship.  It is much more cost effective to reupholster than to replace chairs, etc.  And, to remove the booths in P7 and Chartreuse would be a major undertaking.  

Regent Corporate wants Splendor to be a sister ship to Explorer so only changes that they (not us) deem necessary will occur.  While putting an area outside of the Coffee Connection or the stairway to Compass Rose going a different direction than on Explorer may not be a big deal for some but it was for the powers that be.  Many posters have wanted an area outside of the Observation Lounge but I would be willing to bet that this will not happen either (not on Explorer or Splendor).

I think that we need to be realistic.  Regent Corporate definitely wants to hear from their customers but IMHO, it is not reasonable to expect Regent to react to the hundreds of different requests for changes that they receive.

On 6/14/2019 at 2:56 PM, Travelcat2 said:

I believe that they will be fixing "whistling" doors while in dry dock.

Ours whistled 'Dixie'.  Drove me nuts, I thought they were showing 'Dukes of Hazzard' reruns on the TV...

Having just sailed Explorer and being new to Regent, the notion of the ship going into dry dock for refurbishment confuses me.  Other than a couple of carpeted areas, I saw no signs whatsoever of wear and tear that would warrant replacing, recovering, or refinishing anything.  The carpeted areas showing wear could easily be replaced during a turnaround.  I suppose the luxury space Regent operates in is becoming crowded and competitive so they are ultra focused on keeping their ships like new.  Explorer was three years old when we sailed yet to my nose still had that "new car smell".  I guess a diamond can always be polished.

Some of the complaints seem a bit petty; an example of which is the sightlines in the theater.  I can understand sitting behind one of the support columns prevents someone from an unobstructed view of the stage so.............DON'T SIT BEHIND THEM!  Our cruise was full yet we never had an issue finding seats in the theater, together for a group of four, with an unobstructed view and we were not among those who show up 30 minutes early for the best seats.  We even arrived late to a couple of shows and had no problem finding suitable seating.  The criticism of the stairway at the back of the ship, derided as the "stairway to nowhere" is another example.  Works like a champ for decks five through eleven.  Used it many times myself.  As good a set of stairs as I have ever climbed.  Need to go to deck four, twelve or fourteen?  Stairway or elevators available a short walk away that will get you there in comfort and style.  Many of the complaints being posted and their relative insignificance indicate Regent did an excellent job planning, constructing, and furnishing the ship during what represents an incredibly complex, years long, and expensive ($450 million) project.  My hat goes off to Regent for what I found to be a ship that lived up to its hype.  Can't imagine a more luxurious ship on the water today.

• Like 1

Well said Mark. Cruise Critic has become a forum for moaners and it is refreshing to read comments such as yours. We love the Explorer and indeed the other Regent ships and take the nit pickers with a piece of salt. However, we still wish Regent would improve their coffee - just go for a better blend and medium roast not a dark espresso blend throughout the ship which still remains their norm. Their complimentary wines are generally very good and maybe their wine buyer should also be given the role of coffee buying!

Edited by eliana

Don’t know exactly what is going to be “updated” on the Explorer on this dry-dock – however, we are on the first cruise after the dry-dock.  We were aware we would be on that first cruise during our last cruise in January and asked one of the Explorer Officers – maybe the GM – what was being updated.  He didn’t provide specifics, but he said that this was their “end of warranty” dry-dock and that all “fixes” that the manufacturer was responsible for would be addressed during this period.  A lot of that could be below decks and not visible to passengers. 

1 hour ago, markdgriffin said:

Having just sailed Explorer and being new to Regent, the notion of the ship going into dry dock for refurbishment confuses me.  Other than a couple of carpeted areas, I saw no signs whatsoever of wear and tear that would warrant replacing, recovering, or refinishing anything.  The carpeted areas showing wear could easily be replaced during a turnaround.  I suppose the luxury space Regent operates in is becoming crowded and competitive so they are ultra focused on keeping their ships like new.  Explorer was three years old when we sailed yet to my nose still had that "new car smell".  I guess a diamond can always be polished.

Some of the complaints seem a bit petty; an example of which is the sightlines in the theater.  I can understand sitting behind one of the support columns prevents someone from an unobstructed view of the stage so.............DON'T SIT BEHIND THEM!  Our cruise was full yet we never had an issue finding seats in the theater, together for a group of four, with an unobstructed view and we were not among those who show up 30 minutes early for the best seats.  We even arrived late to a couple of shows and had no problem finding suitable seating.  The criticism of the stairway at the back of the ship, derided as the "stairway to nowhere" is another example.  Works like a champ for decks five through eleven.  Used it many times myself.  As good a set of stairs as I have ever climbed.  Need to go to deck four, twelve or fourteen?  Stairway or elevators available a short walk away that will get you there in comfort and style.  Many of the complaints being posted and their relative insignificance indicate Regent did an excellent job planning, constructing, and furnishing the ship during what represents an incredibly complex, years long, and expensive ($450 million) project.  My hat goes off to Regent for what I found to be a ship that lived up to its hype.  Can't imagine a more luxurious ship on the water today.

What a perfect post!  Stated much better than I did. Your comment about the theater is also on point.  While it is difficult to see the stage from the balcony of the theater, there are lots of seats downstairs that are not behind a support column.

In general, besides what what needs to be done that is not visible to passengers, Regent typically replaces the carpeting, soft goods (bedding, towels, etc.) and freshens up the ship.  IOO (in our opinion), Explorer still looks beautiful.

elaina - As you know - coffee has been discussed forever. Regent could never meet everyone's taste on this.  My DH enjoys the coffee on Explorer when it is done with the French press,  As has been said, many people in the U.S. like coffee that is quite weak while people in other parts of the world want coffee so strong that it would make my mouth pucker from the bitterness.  A "medium" roast is not the answer as there are many grades/types of medium roast blends with different tastes.  An espresso can be made less strong (by using the machines -- part espresso and part water).  In any case, if Regent hasn't changed coffee in all of the years of comments, not sure if it will ever change.

Edited by Travelcat2