Emerald- Legends of the Moselle and Rhine

oceans52

Hi All, has anyone sailed on Emerald Destiny from Bernkastel. We are on there now. Boarded ship on 9th June. They have shut the sundeck from about 6pm yesterday. Wednesday 12th till the end of the cruise on the 16th. Leaving no access to sundeck for any passengers till the end of the cruise. River levels are normal for this time of year. Is this normal? Frustrated.

On the Rhine and Moselle no. I am confused a little. Are you sailing downstream towards Koblenz now? Where will your journey end, Amsterdam or Basel?

The river has risen, but the bridges along the Rhine in general have much headroom. And there are stretches where there are no bridges for many kilometres.

A safety measure for your specific ship?

A bit puzzling.

notamermaid

Low bridges? We were told the sundeck would be shut from the Friday till the end of the cruise. They closed the sundeck late Wednesday afternoon. We all were waiting for it to open back up. When we asked what time it open back up they said it would be closed for the rest of the trip.

23 minutes ago, oceans52 said:

Left Koblenz yesterday, 11.30am. Arriving at Miltenberg at 2pm today. Cruise finishes at Nuremberg. 

Yes, that explains it. You had not mentioned the Main in your original post. The three-passenger level ships do that. There are too many low bridges. It is a standard procedure. Putting up the railings again after every bridge would keep the crew very occupied.

Sorry.

Regardless, have a great trip and nice port visits in the historic towns.

notamermaid

Crossed paths.

Standard is for almost all of the Main and all of the Main Danube Canal from what past cruisers have reported.

So, most ships start before Frankfurt but may even start just after Mainz, that is just before the confluence of the Main and may well keep it closed till Nuremberg.

notamermaid

I just wish Emerald had told us they would be denying us use of the sundeck completely for half the week. That is why it would be good for someone who has done this recently that this is standard practice.

10 hours ago, oceans52 said:

I just wish Emerald had told us they would be denying us use of the sundeck completely for half the week. That is why it would be good for someone who has done this recently that this is standard practice.

Sorry that this hit you by surprise.  It has been mentioned in scattered threads about cruising this itinerary, but it isn't something even an experienced river cruiser (who hasn't done this river) would think to ask about.  But it should factor into the oft-given advice not to waste money on a balcony "because you'll be on the top deck all the time."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Sorry that this hit you by surprise.  It has been mentioned in scattered threads about cruising this itinerary, but it isn't something even an experienced river cruiser (who hasn't done this river) would think to ask about.  But it should factor into the oft-given advice not to waste money on a balcony "because you'll be on the top deck all the time."

What is important to know about the ship is whether there is an outdoor space below the sundeck. When I sailed Vienna to Basel on the River Countess in 2011, we had a small deck on the third level that fit most of the people (a bit of a squish) but allowed us to be outdoors with a view to both sides during this stretch. I remember being told not to stand up when we were coming up to a bridge; they were really low; I felt I could have touched the underside.

Hi all, have been told by cruise director he would print off Emerald,s stuff about closing the sundeck. Haven't had it yet. Here are 2 pictures of the only outside spaces that the all the passengers have access too since Wednesday.

20190614_085910.jpg

20190614_085749.jpg

Well, that certainly is not much at all.

I wonder, would they open the sundeck while being docked? No idea how long it takes to put the railings up, but would be nice just to have a stroll along the deck for 15 minutes or so to have a view of the river at Bamberg for example, if they cannot provide the experience while sailing.

Just wondering...

notamermaid

Avalon ships also have an area out front where you can sit to enjoy the views.  When we did our Rhine cruise, it was quite hot & sunny, so we stayed there to get the shade.  We enjoyed it because we were closer to the water (especially getting some of the castles), and the bar!  I think Viking also has a front seating area outdoors as well.

Funny enough, Emerald did inform us beforehand and sent us a disclaimer? That he would be on board. We have also found out there is a cruise blogger on ship to. Also I believe there is a PR lady from Emerald aboard. I will be interested to read the blog.

The 2 pics I posted earlier are also the smoking areas. The only outside part on the ship that we have access tooand smoking is not allowed measures about 7 metres x 2.5 metres. And has the the 6 chairs.

Cruise ended today. In total we went under 42 bridges and through 70+ locks. The last few were amazing, lifting the ship 25 metres. 

The ship Emerald Destiny should never have been used on this river. Or at least not with paying passengers. The staff know this. The cruise director yesterday said it was great that the weather had been brilliant. But must have forgotten that from Wednesday till this morning we could NOT use the sundeck. Apart for 50 minutes. Have heard that Emerald won't be doing this part of the river till September. So please be warned that the reason the sundeck is completely closed for half the week is not because of river levels, but that  Emerald should not use the Destiny.

3 hours ago, oceans52 said:

Cruise ended today. In total we went under 42 bridges and through 70+ locks. The last few were amazing, lifting the ship 25 metres. 

The ship Emerald Destiny should never have been used on this river. Or at least not with paying passengers. The staff know this. The cruise director yesterday said it was great that the weather had been brilliant. But must have forgotten that from Wednesday till this morning we could NOT use the sundeck. Apart for 50 minutes. Have heard that Emerald won't be doing this part of the river till September. So please be warned that the reason the sundeck is completely closed for half the week is not because of river levels, but that  Emerald should not use the Destiny.

Emerald Destiny is identical to Emerald Dawn, Star, Sky and Sun, which is the fleet Emerald uses for the Rhine, Main, Danube and Moselle. If Destiny is unsuitable for the Main, then these other ships are as well. I somehow doubt that this is the case.

I would expect just about every newer ship of all the major line to have the same sun deck issue. They seem to all have a single level sun deck of the same approximate height above waterline. 

I have been on ships, built around 2000, that have a split level sundeck. These permit the lower level sun deck to remain open when there is limited clearance.