TTMA walking off the ship with my own luggage

I have one of those will I make my flight questions. You know?  Where everyone says don’t risk it. But this one isn’t on me, it’s on southwest. 

I had the perfect flight booked for our allure ft lauderdale departure. Woke up early on the day flights opened and got a great deal. Direct flight to my home location and left at 11:45. Plenty of time to have get through customs after disembarking.

So southwest changed my flight to leave at 9:45. I know it’s too early and I should change it. My next earliest option is anon direct flight that leaves at 3 and will make for a 10 hour travel day.  I hate the FLL airport. There is nothing to do in that airport and I don’t know how to keep my 5 and 9 year old entertained for that long.  The only other direct that day leaves at 8 pm. Maybe then we could do something?  Rent a day room or and excursion or something ?  The flights cost 5X what I pod for my original ticket too, and I don’t know if southwest will make me pay the difference even though it’s their fault I have to change my ticket.  I’m tempted to risk trying to walk off since missing my flight will cost me probably the same as changing it will today. 

gah. I’m so frustrated.

Normally if an airline changes your flight by more than a minor amount they will switch you to another flight at no additional cost.  And they can switch you to another carrier (Southwest will only put you on another Southwest flight).  This assumes there is space on another flight.  You can get your money back, but then you are stuck finding a new flight on your own.  Call them and ask nicely for them to fix the problem!

Note that if you bought Early Bird it might not transfer, but it should.

People do claim that this "schedule change" requires the airline to give you a different flight.  I looked and didn't find that to be true.  Even checked the passenger bill of rights info on the FAA site.  But every time this has happened to me they did do a change for free.

Edited by LeeW
more

We cruised out of Port Everglades in March. Our flight home from FLL was at 9:45. We did self-debarkation (which started at 7:02) and we were through airport security and at our gate at 7:47. If you do self debarkation and if there are no problems clearing customs, you'll have no problem making a 9:45 flight. Would I recommend this to everyone? Probably not. But, if this the hand you are dealt with, go for it. I don't think you'll have a problem making your flight.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

I gather you are traveling with 2 young children. This might make walk off more difficult.  Check with those who have done it what time they lined up.  From what I've read it's much earlier, which again might be an issue with children.

1 hour ago, Lmm79 said:

I have one of those will I make my flight questions. You know?  Where everyone says don’t risk it. But this one isn’t on me, it’s on southwest. 

I had the perfect flight booked for our allure ft lauderdale departure. Woke up early on the day flights opened and got a great deal. Direct flight to my home location and left at 11:45. Plenty of time to have get through customs after disembarking.

So southwest changed my flight to leave at 9:45. I know it’s too early and I should change it. My next earliest option is anon direct flight that leaves at 3 and will make for a 10 hour travel day.  I hate the FLL airport. There is nothing to do in that airport and I don’t know how to keep my 5 and 9 year old entertained for that long.  The only other direct that day leaves at 8 pm. Maybe then we could do something?  Rent a day room or and excursion or something ?  The flights cost 5X what I pod for my original ticket too, and I don’t know if southwest will make me pay the difference even though it’s their fault I have to change my ticket.  I’m tempted to risk trying to walk off since missing my flight will cost me probably the same as changing it will today. 

gah. I’m so frustrated.

Southwest will definitely accommodate a change if you need it.

Walk off shouldn't be a problem with Allure. Can you carry all of your luggage though?

Someone correct me if this has changed, but the airline must accommodate you at no charge to a flight time of your choice or offer a refund if they change your flight time more than 90 minutes after you have a confirmed ticket purchase. 

To me this is an instance that is no fault of your own and not fair to add the stress of doing self-assist debarkation unless you had already planned to, especially since you have no assurances from the cruise line that there will not be any docking or customs processing delays.