Scenic Electric Plug Adaptors

Bolshoi

I could not find this information on Scenic's website.  I know the power onboard is 220v, but would like to know what style of electrical outlets they use so that I can bring the correct plug adaptor for my North American style plugs.

23 minutes ago, doverboy said:

We purchased a package which had adapters for every conceivable configuration and had no issues. Remember to unplug when you are done. We left one plugged in and it fried during the day

Was it a surge protector type?  They are dangerous to use on ships.  They don't work as intended [to protect your gear] and they can cause fires onboard [sometimes elsewhere on the ship so you don't even know you did it].

6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Was it a surge protector type?  They are dangerous to use on ships.  They don't work as intended [to protect your gear] and they can cause fires onboard [sometimes elsewhere on the ship so you don't even know you did it].

Was not a surge protector type. Was a package deal sold by a travel accessory store

2 hours ago, doverboy said:

Was not a surge protector type. Was a package deal sold by a travel accessory store

Was it a voltage converter? I can’t think of any reason a simple plug adapter should fry when left plugged in, unless it was seriously faulty. A properly designed and manufactured voltage converter shouldn’t really cause problems either. 

21 minutes ago, kentchris said:

Was it a voltage converter? I can’t think of any reason a simple plug adapter should fry when left plugged in, unless it was seriously faulty. A properly designed and manufactured voltage converter shouldn’t really cause problems either. 

I suspect you're homing in on the problem with "properly designed and manufactured" :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Reception have them to have on loan. They also have European style usb plugs. CA

What are European style usb plugs? Aren't usb plugs the same everywhere?  I used my American USB plugs in Paris and London with no problems.

1 hour ago, GolfMom321 said:

What are European style usb plugs? Aren't usb plugs the same everywhere?  I used my American USB plugs in Paris and London with no problems.

The plug that goes into the outlet is European style, and you plug your USB into it. (This is instead of plugging your USB into your usual charger with North American plugs, and then having to plug that into an adapter to put it into a European style outlet.)

Edited by gnome12

2 hours ago, GolfMom321 said:

20 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

The plug that goes into the outlet is European style, and you plug your USB into it. (This is instead of plugging your USB into your usual charger with North American plugs, and then having to plug that into an adapter to put it into a European style outlet.)

There are also combi-adapters:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-TESSAN-Universal-Charger-Charging/dp/B07FJWLLDB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2B9DJN067AM5U&keywords=european+travel+plug+usb+adapter&qid=1560910733&s=gateway&sprefix=european+travel+plug+usb+%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-3

But I can't verify that this is "properly designed and manufactured" and I don't like the fact that it takes a US 3-prong plug and only uses 2 prongs into the outlet.

9 hours ago, GolfMom321 said:

Presumably CA meant Euro USB chargers. As with US chargers they can be barely larger than a two pin plug. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just be aware that your appliance needs to be dual voltage, which most are today. These adapters are just that: adapters.  They are not voltage converters. 

Double check your curling irons.  Many are only 110 volt. 

Avalon ships have USB plugs on both sides of the bed.  Also, those Swiss army style of all-in-one universal adapters can be problematic.  We've found that they don't always fit well into the round socket in Europe, or, if the prongs fit in, the weight of the adapter prevents it from staying in place. 

Look for the Schuko type E/F adapters.