EZ Air and Boeing Max 737 cancellations - What to do?

ams cruiser

7 minutes ago, ams cruiser said:

Thank you for clarifying this.  I'm so glad it worked out for you!  Right now I'm on EZAir flex, and haven't made final payment, so there shouldn't be any fees.  But based on what you are saying, even if I had made final payment, Air Canada (and others, I imagine) are waiving change fees.  Now, I have to try to find another non-stop flight that will work. Also, based on what Ombud posted, it sounds like Air Canada is honoring (making changes) for EZAir bookings when changing planes/flights, as long as a seat if reserved and paid for.

FYI - this was after final payment.  Our cruise was April 6 and I believe we had made final payment sometime in February.  It was one of things that was out of everyone's control; planes were grounded, flights had to be changed.  We weren't asking to make a change, we had to make the change.  I haven't been following any news on the Max8's but I have heard they would be grounded until September, not sure which airline said that.  Best of luck with your upcoming flight and have a great cruise.  🙂 

On 6/18/2019 at 3:04 PM, DrivesLikeMario said:

They all have different dates as to when their fleet of 737-Maxs will be up in the air again.  Some are a good month earlier.  I think that date of 9/2 is reasonable. 

The federal govt required 737-Maxs to be grounded.  An airline cannot decide when to start flying them again if the restriction is still imposed.  Any date the airline has given is a speculated date in hopes that the situation is resolved.  The date can and will be pushed back if needed.

To op to be safe I would start looking at other airlines.

On 6/18/2019 at 2:34 PM, ams cruiser said:

Thanks, I might have to go back to the drawing board to see what I can find.  The only non-stops from SFO to Montreal were on Air Canada and United, which apparently books for Air Canada, so it might be one and the same.   Unfortunately, Princess told me before that if I change one of my flights, I also have to re-book the return, since they are linked. 

How about a multi city via Kayak   SFO-YVR a few days in Vancouver then YVR-Montreal? Or you could plan to take Amtrak to Portland stay over in Portland then Cascades to Vancouver stay a  few days in Vancouver and ViaRail to Montreal.

How about a multi city via EZ Air or Kayak if you can get a refund   SFO-YVR a few days in Vancouver then YVR-Montreal? Or you could plan to take Amtrak to Portland stay over in Portland then Cascades to Vancouver stay a  few days in Vancouver and ViaRail to Montreal.

Or SFO-Calgary-Montreal  via WestJet 

SJC-YVR -Montreal via Embraer 75 from SJC-YVR  then  a flight to Montreal

OAK-Bellingham Washington on Allegiance  with shuttle to YVR and flight to Montreal.

American SFO-ORD Montreal

United SFO-ORD-Montreal  or SFO-DEN-Montreal 

Or SFO-JFK on AA, Delta, United or American   to JFK or  BOX  then Porter Air Regional Jet like ERJ to Montreal via Toronto 

Air Canada operates Airbus 320 nonstops from Vancouver 

Hope this helps

Edited by travelplus

BUT....if we booked an EZ Air Canada thru Princess....(Omaha, Toronto, QC) … and it's two days before, Princess will get us there. Right? And if we don't get there for our first night we can challenge for hotel? I am not a doom and gloom but wondered. Its September 12th. 

On 6/19/2019 at 11:04 AM, Anubi said:

FYI - this was after final payment.  Our cruise was April 6 and I believe we had made final payment sometime in February.  It was one of things that was out of everyone's control; planes were grounded, flights had to be changed.  We weren't asking to make a change, we had to make the change.  I haven't been following any news on the Max8's but I have heard they would be grounded until September, not sure which airline said that.  Best of luck with your upcoming flight and have a great cruise.  🙂 

Thank you!

2 hours ago, travelplus said:

How about a multi city via EZ Air or Kayak if you can get a refund   SFO-YVR a few days in Vancouver then YVR-Montreal? Or you could plan to take Amtrak to Portland stay over in Portland then Cascades to Vancouver stay a  few days in Vancouver and ViaRail to Montreal.

Or SFO-Calgary-Montreal  via WestJet 

SJC-YVR -Montreal via Embraer 75 from SJC-YVR  then  a flight to Montreal

OAK-Bellingham Washington on Allegiance  with shuttle to YVR and flight to Montreal.

American SFO-ORD Montreal

United SFO-ORD-Montreal  or SFO-DEN-Montreal 

Or SFO-JFK on AA, Delta, United or American   to JFK or  BOX  then Porter Air Regional Jet like ERJ to Montreal via Toronto 

Air Canada operates Airbus 320 nonstops from Vancouver 

Hope this helps

Thank you for all of the suggestions!  This is very helpful!

12 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

The federal govt required 737-Maxs to be grounded.  An airline cannot decide when to start flying them again if the restriction is still imposed.  Any date the airline has given is a speculated date in hopes that the situation is resolved.  The date can and will be pushed back if needed.

To op to be safe I would start looking at other airlines.

I agree!

2 hours ago, amypete said:

BUT....if we booked an EZ Air Canada thru Princess....(Omaha, Toronto, QC) … and it's two days before, Princess will get us there. Right? And if we don't get there for our first night we can challenge for hotel? I am not a doom and gloom but wondered. Its September 12th. 

Original poster here.  This is what concerns me, and I hope someone knows the answer to this.  When I spoke with the Princess rep, she said that Air Canada would cancel my flight if they don't have a plane, and then Princess would help me look for something else.  But my concern is that if this is a last minute change, it could be both inconvenient and expense.  I'm going to try to call Princess again next week to see if I can get more information from a different representative.

36 minutes ago, ams cruiser said:

Original poster here.  This is what concerns me, and I hope someone knows the answer to this.  When I spoke with the Princess rep, she said that Air Canada would cancel my flight if they don't have a plane, and then Princess would help me look for something else.  But my concern is that if this is a last minute change, it could be both inconvenient and expense.  I'm going to try to call Princess again next week to see if I can get more information from a different representative.

I would enact Princess Guaranteed Arrival program which states

"We will do everything within our power to get you to your cruise on time or to the next port of call". If this means arriving  a day pre cruise then ask them for a hotel. Also Travel Insurance is helpful but first deal with EZAir. Tell them your predicament and give them options that works for you.

Can you go 2 days earlier? I would allow more time than less time.  Even if you had to pay $100 per night for a hotel its worth that insurance.

For instance I always arrive to Eurpe 3-4 days before the cruise and in Tampa a night after the cruise and book it the next late afternoon. To me the $100 on hotel is worth the cost for no stress and I can stay onboard my Royal Caribbean cruise from the B2B and not have to wait in the Custom line.  Literally I want to be the last person off the ship.

Delays can happen so yes having more time in a city like Montreal is worth it. I would even arrive a week early and enjoy Quebec City, Ottawa, Montreal etc. You could rent a car fly into Toronto drive to Quebec, Ottawa and return the car or do it via ViaRail. 

If Princess is allowing you to change the flight gratis I would make it a land/cruise trip!  Heck yea if you have time I would do it this way.

Itinerary by Car

Fly SFO Toronto    AIr Canada Nonstop Air Canda 7:25 AM arrive 3:20 PM

or SFO -Toronto 10:50 PM arrive 6:44 AM.   

First Flight Airbus 321

Second Red Eye Boeing 787  
Roughly $271 per person.

Stay at Fairmont Hotels and the Mont Royal Hotel or AirBnB. Hyatts are good too.

Drive Toronto Ottawa 4.5 Hours Train 4.5 Hours

Ottawa Quebec 4.5 Hours            Train 6 Hours

Q0uebec Montreal2.5 Hours           Train 2h 4min

Or VIA Rail in this order.   Or if lack of time 3 days in Toronto 3 Days Quebec 4 Days Montreal by Rail.

Edited by travelplus

On 6/19/2019 at 12:10 PM, ams cruiser said:

Right now my booking is through Princess, but my plan is to transfer it in a couple of weeks to the BIg Box travel agency we have used before, to take advantage of their onboard credit.   

Remember that you have to make the booking transfer within 60 days of making the original booking with Princess.

7 hours ago, ams cruiser said:

We had a return flight cancelled by the airline (not Air Canada) through EzAir a few years ago, FLL to Halifax. We didn't like the routing so cancelled and bought our own one-way ticket home for a comparable price. Sorry, I don't recall if there would have been an increased cost.

Not through EzAir, this August we were scheduled to fly Halifax to Heathrow direct on a 737-8. All along, the route was posted as 'suspended', not 'cancelled'. More than a month before, Air Canada changed our flight so now will fly to Toronto first, no extra charge. If we'd bought the same tickets on the day they switched the flight for us, the cost would have been more than double because all the 'basic' seats were sold out and we ended up with a Flex fare.

I too was concerned about a last-minute Air Canada decision so had called them. Sure enough, our flights were changed with more than a month's notice (the web site says 2-3 weeks in advance). The Air Canada rep told me that they're working hard not to cancel any flights, even buying other airlines to deliver their customers.

I know this isn't too helpful... no one has the final answers right now. I believe that Princess would get you to your destination, no question, it's their guarantee. I'd want to know if they would actually charge extra in your case. My not wanting to pay extra, I'd probably take what they assigned to me (we weren't given options) as we're not bothered by the journey.  Being easy to please, it's the destination we have in mind.  I get it that you're working through a 'third party/Princess' so practices may be different (potential cancellation instead of a substitution). Let us know how it works out for you! 

Edited by Adventures ahead

16 hours ago, caribill said:

Remember that you have to make the booking transfer within 60 days of making the original booking with Princess.

Uh, oh, then I am too late!  I thought it was just before final payment! (I'm pretty sure this is what I did on our last cruise.)  I'll have to give Costco a call.

11 minutes ago, ams cruiser said:

Uh, oh, then I am too late!  I thought it was just before final payment! (I'm pretty sure this is what I did on our last cruise.)  I'll have to give Costco a call.

11 minutes ago, ams cruiser said:

16 hours ago, caribill said:

Based on your post, I just did a little (belated) research.  We booked our cruise as soon as it became available, around January 2018, I believe.  I had no idea that Princess's policy changed, since our last cruise was two years ago.  It doesn't sound like there is anything I can do, but it is a little frustrating, given we will lose a few hundred dollars in onboard credit, not to mention a Big Box 5% rebate!  We are not frequent cruisers, have only booked online through Princess for cruises we plan on taking, and then switched to Big Box after everything is pretty much set, but before final payment.  I understand why Princess is doing this, but wish they had sent out some kind of email for bookings made before the policy change, and/or grandfathered people in.  

5 hours ago, ams cruiser said:

Based on your post, I just did a little (belated) research.  We booked our cruise as soon as it became available, around January 2018, I believe.  I had no idea that Princess's policy changed, since our last cruise was two years ago.  It doesn't sound like there is anything I can do, but it is a little frustrating, given we will lose a few hundred dollars in onboard credit, not to mention a Big Box 5% rebate!  We are not frequent cruisers, have only booked online through Princess for cruises we plan on taking, and then switched to Big Box after everything is pretty much set, but before final payment.  I understand why Princess is doing this, but wish they had sent out some kind of email for bookings made before the policy change, and/or grandfathered people in.  

They made the change around last November. After many people complained, they did allow those past the 60 day deadline to still make a switch to a TA until the end of 2018. They also (after people had complained) sent notices to Travel Agents, many of whom then sent e-mails to their clients informing them of the switch.

On 6/22/2019 at 11:15 PM, travelplus said:

I would enact Princess Guaranteed Arrival program which states

"We will do everything within our power to get you to your cruise on time or to the next port of call". If this means arriving  a day pre cruise then ask them for a hotel. Also Travel Insurance is helpful but first deal with EZAir. Tell them your predicament and give them options that works for you.

Can you go 2 days earlier? I would allow more time than less time.  Even if you had to pay $100 per night for a hotel its worth that insurance.

For instance I always arrive to Eurpe 3-4 days before the cruise and in Tampa a night after the cruise and book it the next late afternoon. To me the $100 on hotel is worth the cost for no stress and I can stay onboard my Royal Caribbean cruise from the B2B and not have to wait in the Custom line.  Literally I want to be the last person off the ship.

Delays can happen so yes having more time in a city like Montreal is worth it. I would even arrive a week early and enjoy Quebec City, Ottawa, Montreal etc. You could rent a car fly into Toronto drive to Quebec, Ottawa and return the car or do it via ViaRail. 

If Princess is allowing you to change the flight gratis I would make it a land/cruise trip!  Heck yea if you have time I would do it this way.

Itinerary by Car

Fly SFO Toronto    AIr Canada Nonstop Air Canda 7:25 AM arrive 3:20 PM

or SFO -Toronto 10:50 PM arrive 6:44 AM.   

First Flight Airbus 321

Second Red Eye Boeing 787  
Roughly $271 per person.

Stay at Fairmont Hotels and the Mont Royal Hotel or AirBnB. Hyatts are good too.

Drive Toronto Ottawa 4.5 Hours Train 4.5 Hours

Ottawa Quebec 4.5 Hours            Train 6 Hours

Q0uebec Montreal2.5 Hours           Train 2h 4min

Or VIA Rail in this order.   Or if lack of time 3 days in Toronto 3 Days Quebec 4 Days Montreal by Rail.

But what if you only have X# vacation days? You're planning on adding a week to get a NS? Seems like overkill to me

7 hours ago, Ombud said:

But what if you only have X# vacation days? You're planning on adding a week to get a NS? Seems like overkill to me

Thank you so much for the travel suggestions!  We have actually planned to fly into Montreal and spend a few days there before taking the train to Quebec for another few days before getting onboard the ship. We would love to visit Toronto, but are also spending a few days post-cruise in NYC, so will have to save that for another time.  

We don't fly very often, but when we do, definitely prefer a non-stop.  (I'm guessing that's what "NS" means?  It took me a minute to figure that one out!)

12 hours ago, caribill said:

They made the change around last November. After many people complained, they did allow those past the 60 day deadline to still make a switch to a TA until the end of 2018. They also (after people had complained) sent notices to Travel Agents, many of whom then sent e-mails to their clients informing them of tehe switch.

I can understand the change in policy, just wish Princess had notified passengers who had already booked cruises with them, or just sent out a mass email to everyone on their mailing list.   By not making being able to transfer our booking, we're losing almost $1,500 in refundable onboard credit/Citibank Visa cash.

When I booked our cruise online through Princess, almost a year before the policy change took place, it didn't occur to me that this might happen.  I even followed up with a phone call to verify that I had until final payment to transfer our booking.  

☹️

On 6/22/2019 at 10:49 PM, ams cruiser said:

Hopefully someone else answered this: if you booked EZAIR, hotel, and insurance thru Princess (either directly or thru a TA) they will get you to the ship. If you lose a day in transit, they will put you up in a hotel & give you a certain amount for food. I know this from a travel nightmare. BA flights were delayed 12 hrs due to a schedule glitch. Instead of NS on British Air SFO to London, it wound up being SFO to Charleston to London on American.  Had I not arrived in time, they were prepared to put me up in a hotel at the 2nd port

50 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Hopefully someone else answered this: if you booked EZAIR, hotel, and insurance thru Princess (either directly or thru a TA) they will get you to the ship. If you lose a day in transit, they will put you up in a hotel & give you a certain amount for food. I know this from a travel nightmare. BA flights were delayed 12 hrs due to a schedule glitch. Instead of NS on British Air SFO to London, it wound up being SFO to Charleston to London on American.  Had I not arrived in time, they were prepared to put me up in a hotel at the 2nd port

the issue with this is you will get whatever seats are left on a last minute flight, if you were in economy anyway it might not be a big issue but if you booked business and none are left......

I believe we're in a very strange time period as far as flights go.  737M8 flights were sold by most airlines and EZAIR offered those flights to us. The problem comes up after March when those flights were changed. If one booked the flight and insurance through Princess, relax. If 1 book the flight and then pick the seats on the individual airline websites, the airlines will rebook you into the same class. If 1 also is on a flight that winds up being delayed for any reason and that person has insurance through Princess, Princess will put you up in a hotel and get you to the next port should you miss the boat. It's odd that the OP and  I basically travel from the same area and we're both on the same airline. I fixed mine by buying a seat for $25. And they have put me in the same category. I have no doubt that 737m8 will not be flying in October when she supposed to fly. So at this point she can do 1 of 2 things. Roll the dice and Princess will fix it for her but perhaps not the same seat category or go to Air Canada pay $25 Air Canada will fix it. I find it easier to deal with the airlines even though I like the price on Princess website. So that's what I chose to do

Enjoy your cruise! If I'm delayed, I'll enjoy 2 nights in Charleston on Princess' dime 😁

Edited by Ombud

On 6/29/2019 at 4:39 PM, Ombud said:

I believe we're in a very strange time period as far as flights go.  737M8 flights were sold by most airlines and EZAIR offered those flights to us. The problem comes up after March when those flights were changed. If one booked the flight and insurance through Princess, relax. If 1 book the flight and then pick the seats on the individual airline websites, the airlines will rebook you into the same class. If 1 also is on a flight that winds up being delayed for any reason and that person has insurance through Princess, Princess will put you up in a hotel and get you to the next port should you miss the boat. It's odd that the OP and  I basically travel from the same area and we're both on the same airline. I fixed mine by buying a seat for $25. And they have put me in the same category. I have no doubt that 737m8 will not be flying in October when she supposed to fly. So at this point she can do 1 of 2 things. Roll the dice and Princess will fix it for her but perhaps not the same seat category or go to Air Canada pay $25 Air Canada will fix it. I find it easier to deal with the airlines even though I like the price on Princess website. So that's what I chose to do

Enjoy your cruise! If I'm delayed, I'll enjoy 2 nights in Charleston on Princess' dime 😁

It looks like Air Canada has come through! (I hope)  After removing the 737max from my flight, there was no plane listed for several weeks.  Now it's listed as a Jet Airbus A320 (the same plane for my American flight coming home from JFK.)  I'm also going to follow your suggestion and pay the $25 (x2) to reserve my seat.

Thanks, again, for all of your help!

• Like 2