Which ship would you select for Alaska cruise??

portcbob

9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I would choose Main over Dolphin and avoid any with a connecting door, not for noise but because the furniture is often squeezed in to make room for the door. At least on Lower Promenade I have seen this.

The OV cabins on the Promenade Deck are all smaller than the ones on Main and Dolphin, it isn't just the connecting ones.

46 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

The OV cabins on the Promenade Deck are all smaller than the ones on Main and Dolphin, it isn't just the connecting ones.

True. Same is true on the Amsterdam.  I am waiting for my OV guarantee assignment for Amsterdam in August, and I'm hoping we don't get "upgraded" from Dolphin or Main deck to the Promenade deck. Not only because they are slightly smaller, but also because I want my window to look directly at water, not people walking by...

Also - all Main Deck Category "C" midship rooms on the Volendam have had the bathroom refresh with the glass walk-in shower (no tub), new sink counters, open glass shelving instead of medicine cabinet, new wall surfacing and flooring, etc.  Some, but not all, of the Dolphin Deck Category "D" midship cabins received the bathroom refresh, others still have the original bath fitting with the tub/shower combo (curtained), original solid surface sink/counter units, original tan/pink/blue tiling, mirrored medicine chest and wall mounted vacuum type hairdryers.  I have yet to find a list of which specific rooms got the refresh and which did not.

On 6/18/2019 at 4:43 PM, portcbob said:

Hi all you Hal cruisers.

My wife and I are travelling from down under for our bucket list cruise to Alaska in may of 2020. We are going through our options at the moment and have the choice of these 3 ships. 

Volendam

koningsdam

amsterdam.

We have never cruised with Hal before and never been to Alaska.

Guys, which ship would you chose and why, or does it not matter at all??

Kind regards Bob and Christine 😁

How about the Oosterdam?  I see that is listed for some of the Alaskan cruises

FYI - if you really want to sail on the Amsterdam on a 7 day cruise (as oppose to the regular 14 day), look into the July 8th sailing from Seattle.  I know it is just two weeks away as I type this, but you might be able to make it work!  (There is a full charter July 1st, but as far as I know, the July 8th sailing is available to all).

IF the Maasdam will be sailing instead of the Amsterdam, that opens up a whole new opportunity.  Maasdam offers In-"Depth" cruises with far more cultural information to learn along the way.  Maasdam is a smaller ship, which I feel is a great advantage.  And she still had a laundry room last winter.

Barbara

My vote is for the Konigsdam, she is larger than the other ships you listed here, but she is well appointed and I LOVED her.........while the other ships are great, I loved the newness of the K’dam, her music venues......we had a great experience.  

Whichever ship you chose you will certainly enjoy your cruise.

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Koningsdam in a heat beat! More entertainment and more dining options than the "R"-class by far

Yes, but the OP is asking specifically about Alaska.  Their priorities might not be entertainment and dining.  I would specifically NOT choose the Kdam for Alaska because it lacks HAL's wonderful wraparound promenade deck and in Alaska the more places and opportunities to really be outdoors while on the ship the better. Also smaller ships go closer to land and glaciers (I don't know for sure that the K. doesn't get as close as the Volendam and Amsterdam, for example, but I have a feeling she doesn't). 

12 hours ago, Moriah said:

Yes, but the OP is asking specifically about Alaska.  Their priorities might not be entertainment and dining.  I would specifically NOT choose the Kdam for Alaska because it lacks HAL's wonderful wraparound promenade deck and in Alaska the more places and opportunities to really be outdoors while on the ship the better. Also smaller ships go closer to land and glaciers (I don't know for sure that the K. doesn't get as close as the Volendam and Amsterdam, for example, but I have a feeling she doesn't). 

Couple of things; K-dam (975' in length) is only 25 feet longer than the Vistas (950' in length) who have no issues getting close to the glaciers and ensuring that both port and starboard sides of the ship get a good view 

On K-dam's Alaska itineraries next year, only Juneau (10:00 PM and Skagway (9:00 PM) will be evening departures, that leaves five days to enjoy the various dining and entertainment venues onboard

• Thanks 1