Tipping on P and O

Tablelamp

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'm talking about hotels in the UK and indeed all the other places to which P&O cruise. Most of them have minimum wage legislation, and it's almost always a higher figure than P&O pay.  A considerably higher figure in most cases.

If you don't want to tip - fine. Just let other people make their own minds up. It's their decision, not yours.

But you are not considering the countries where the staff originate from and live. They have no connection whatsoever with the UK except for regular turnaround days which they either work or if lucky to get time off are in Southampton in Poundland and such like shops stocking up on personal items. They come from very poor countries with very low wages and that is why they are prepared to work away from home for 9 months at a time because in their eyes compared to what they would get at home doing the same job they are very highly paid. We got very friendly with one waiter and he showed us pictures of his family he told us he sent money home to support his family, including parents, and also putting his children through university. He also said he hoped after working with P&O for 10 years he would have enough to able to open his own restaurant and have a very good standard of living.

I must admit, with all this talk about crew being paid less than the UK minimum wage, I've yet to meet somebody earning the minimum wage here who gets free board and lodging, medical care, haircuts etc etc. Surely that is worth something.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dorsetlad said:

I must admit, with all this talk about crew being paid less than the UK minimum wage, I've yet to meet somebody earning the minimum wage here who gets free board and lodging, medical care, haircuts etc etc. Surely that is worth something.

Glass door show P&O waiters on £800 per month, below UK min wage but not massively, and before you take into account board and lodgings and free air fares.

28 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Glass door show P&O waiters on £800 per month, below UK min wage but not massively, and before you take into account board and lodgings and free air fares.

Take that into account on what average wage or what workers with similar jobs get paid in the country that P&O staff originate from makes them very highly paid and that is why they are prepared to work away from home and their families for 9 months at a time and they are always smiling.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Take that into account on what average wage or what workers with similar jobs get paid in the country that P&O staff originate from makes them very highly paid and that is why they are prepared to work away from home and their families for 9 months at a time and they are always smiling.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9235729/PandO-cruise-ship-crew-paid-just-75p-per-hour.html

A few years ago, but the situation hasn't changed that much since then, and they smile because they know their share of the tips depends on it! And they work away from home because there are no jobs at home.

Would you like to work 11 hour shifts, 7 days a week, with no days off for 6 months at a time?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9235729/PandO-cruise-ship-crew-paid-just-75p-per-hour.html

A few years ago, but the situation hasn't changed that much since then, and they smile because they know their share of the tips depends on it! And they work away from home because there are no jobs at home.

Would you like to work 11 hour shifts, 7 days a week, with no days off for 6 months at a time?

Probably not, but if I had been born in the Philippines I would probably think differently, and they do get time off which enables them to have free time ashore, and I doubt any of them work 11 hours consecutively.

But all that apart they would not do the job if they did not believe it was worthwhile, and for anyone who wants to give them extra as tips, then I am sure they will be more than happy to accept it, and passengers should feel free to do as they wish.

How do people find so much to say about tipping?  Surely it’s all been said by now. Regardless of the P&O policy, if you want to - that’s fine. If you don’t want to, that’s fine too. 

Perhaps we we could all stop now and discuss something else? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jan5174 said:

How do people find so much to say about tipping?  Surely it’s all been said by now. Regardless of the P&O policy, if you want to - that’s fine. If you don’t want to, that’s fine too. 

Perhaps we we could all stop now and discuss something else? 

Feel free to start a new thread and we will all happily discuss it with you.

• Like 3

On 6/21/2019 at 8:18 PM, Tacu said:

I bought a teddy from the on-board shop, and my steward used to leave an extra chocolate on the teddy's lap when the cabin was turned down at night - for that reason alone I left my steward a little extra at the end of the cruise 🙂

Love this! 😊

On 6/22/2019 at 9:16 PM, grapau27 said:

Feel free to start a new thread and we will all happily discuss it with you.

You forgot the other part of this usually posted in response..if you are not interested scroll by, don't read.

BUT just why are these infernal tipping threads still continuing. Tips are included. If you wish to tip extra you can, you decide - you don't need anyone's approval or guidance as to how much. 

21 minutes ago, ccpm said:

You forgot the other part of this usually posted in response..if you are not interested scroll by, don't read.

BUT just why are these infernal tipping threads still continuing. Tips are included. If you wish to tip extra you can, you decide - you don't need anyone's approval or guidance as to how much

Some people do, they are very nervous about doing the 'right' thing. The right thing being what peer pressure indicates. You know the sort of people, 'we always tip at least xxx', said while their noses are sniffing the upper atmosphere. Always makes me chuckle

Another chuckle inducing episode was the penultimate evening of a 12 nighter. The posh couple  whose cabin was near mine had tipped the steward 10 euros for the 12 nights. They could not understand why he did not look happy. Thinks - you were actually insulting him and if I was him I might have lost my job by sticking the 10 euros up your place where the sun don't shine!.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, ccpm said:

BUT just why are these infernal tipping threads still continuing. Tips are included. If you wish to tip extra you can, you decide - you don't need anyone's approval or guidance as to how much. 

Thanks,I didn't forget that reply I just wanted to be friendly and respectful.

There are new members joining all the time who ask questions and they deserve to be answered helpfully.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ccpm said:

Usually the threads continue because someone posts along the line of

‘I wish people would just stop posting about tips’

Then someone else posts that they agree.

Then we have the post ‘Well just scroll by’

Then someone defends what they have posted.

Then the OP asked if they will get an answer.

Then we go back to Number 1 because they have posted without reading the other posts 

And in between people post “We never tip” , “We always tip” , “We only tip for good service”

Then back to Number 1.

BTW I have just extended this thread about tipping with this post.

😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, daiB said:

Usually the threads continue because someone posts along the line of

‘I wish people would just stop posting about tips’

Then someone else posts that they agree.

Then we have the post ‘Well just scroll by’

Then someone defends what they have posted.

Then the OP asked if they will get an answer.

Then we go back to Number 1 because they have posted without reading the other posts 

And in between people post “We never tip” , “We always tip” , “We only tip for good service”

Then back to Number 1.

BTW I have just extended this thread about tipping with this post.

😎

Perfectly explained.