Oceania v Seabourn

jcbdigger

34 minutes ago, bitob said:

The ship has 450 passengers.

We had had more than enough zodiac rides and landings to suit us plus the luxury of Seabourn.  We found it the perfect way to see Antarctica.  There are many options out there.

Yep.  And there are also people who think they're getting what you and we got and then wind up just looking at it from afar.

Just back from 2 weeks on the Ovation, though we have sailed and Seabourn the most, the was our first time back on one of their ships since 2012.  We spent a month on the Marina in November 2019. We will be back on the Marina this December for another month.

The following are our experiences and my opinions.  Your mileage may vary.

One observation right off the bat.... Oceania has a very steep learning curve with regard to pricing.  I had to have a spreadsheet, and did a truly appalling amount of different scenarios based on all the various charges.

Shorex - On Oceania we mostly did private shorex that I arranged, and found very lovely folks to join us on the roll call.  We did do maybe 5 shorex with Oceania and was pleasantly surprised (our TA had warned us that Oceania "couldn't compare" with SB in this department).  I thought that the Oceania shorex costs were quite steep, until this cruise on Ovation.  Costs were very similar (it could be that costs were so high on Seabourn on this cruise because it was Norway/North cape which is a very, very expensive part of the world).  The product was also similar on both lines.... in that they are bus tours, 25 - 30 pax, in Seabourn's case... it was multiple buses, all on the same route.  Both lines have a shopping with the chef tour, but the SB chef tour may be a little more intimate.  

Beverage Package - Here I can speak with a fair amount of confidence.  Because SB is all inclusive, and the expectation is that the pax are going to drink wine during dinner (and lunch), they've made it easy for the wait staff to get you that glass of wine and keep it filled.  On Oceania, you have to rely on the "sommelier" (loosely interpreted here) to get you that first glass, and then return to fill it.  There didn't seem to be enough of them in MDR (or, really, anywhere).  As far as bar staff in the lounges, both lines score well.  Good drinks, well made.  They will be pricey on Oceania, particularly when you factor in the 18% gratuity on each drink if you don't have the beverage package.  There is no additional gratuity charge on the beverage package.  

Gratuities on Oceania - Our travel agent included the gratuities on the last O cruise.  It's only partially paid for on the upcoming cruise.  I still tipped a little extra to the suite attendants, and one or two others that I felt went above and beyond.  I do the same on SB, even though tipping is "included".

Cabins need to be discussed.  We made it through a month in the regular size cabin on the Marina - they are smaller than verandahs on SB, and the closet is not a walk-in and was problematic.  We are trading up to a PH on the upcoming cruise.  For me though the cabins on Ovation/Marina ended up being a wash.... the bathroom on the Ovation (and the shower in particular) drove me up a wall, and I had a sore back every morning for 2 weeks on Ovation because the mattress is simply not supportive enough.  If comparing O to the SB Odyssey class cabins (assuming the bed issue was resolved) then SB wins.  

The one thing I think you will miss on Marina is Seabourn Square.  That space is just special.

We are looking at yet another Marina cruise next June.  We like longer cruises, and Oceania is rather artful in the way they plan their itins.  One can create a super trip with B2B, or B2B2B.

Hope this helps.  We still love SB, and we also very much like Oceania.  It's just that O is ticking the important boxes for us right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Oceania has a very steep learning curve with regard to pricing.  I had to have a spreadsheet, and did a truly appalling amount of different scenarios based on all the various charges.

With respect I have no idea what that means.

Also curious why the lack of a walk-in closet was a problem?

38 minutes ago, clo said:

With respect I have no idea what that means.

Also curious why the lack of a walk-in closet was a problem?

Trying to figure out what the cruise was actually going to cost with O's numerous and complicated programs.  I priced the trip five ways, O-life with Bev package and upgrade to Prestige and full-price excursions, same thing but with purchase of unlimited excursion package, O-life with excursions included, with outright purchase of Prestige bev. package, getting O Life with beverage package & upgrade but instead of getting the unlimited excursions, getting the Your Way excursions with 25% discount.

One quarter of the closet was blocked by the bedside table.  You couldn't get back there, so any clothing hanging in that "zone" kind of got sucked into a black hole.

47 minutes ago, clo said:

So that's what you used to decide what trip to take?

No. 

It was what I used to, and I quote myself from that same post "trying to figure out what the cruise was actually going to cost with O's numerous and complicated programs." 

That is not the same thing as deciding which cruise to take.

50 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

That is not the same thing as deciding which cruise to take.

So what was the point?  Just for future reference?  My husband has an under-grad degree in accounting so I understand 🙂

6 hours ago, clo said:

So what was the point?  Just for future reference?  My husband has an under-grad degree in accounting so I understand 🙂

The point was to not spend more money on THAT cruise than we needed to.  Once you book your cabin you are not done making decisions on O, there are a ton of options to pay for or not pay for that need to be decided.  Depending on the O-life program we decided to take (and then the various shorex programs), the costs varied by as much as 2k for a cruise that length.

On 6/20/2019 at 6:45 PM, Paulchili said:

Depends on where you tend to make friends and where one “hangs out”.

We make friends at trivia, shore excursions and other social activities.

Like ORV, we have made MANY (quite a few lasting) friends on Oceania and none on Regent, Seabourn or Crystal.

Disclaimer - we have many more cruises on Oceania than those other lines but for us meeting people was always easier on Oceania than the other lines.

As always, YMMV.

I would agree.....I have found the fellow passengers on O to be wonderful , open and attitude free un like another line.  It just fits me and my wife.    Thats hard to qualify but very real.

Conversely, after Regent became all inclusive, I noticed a big change in attitude, and not in a good way to me.   Thats what  guided me  to choose O.      Like Paulchili... I found something lacking. 

Looked at Seabourn and they offered more of less , if you understand that.    Less cuisine variety, less public space  and  a way higher price.  I dont need caviar daily..  do not drink much anymore. 

If your 40-60  it might work for you....  I have higher miles on my odometer.

Their  all inclusive liquor, I read , does not extend to wines with dinner where they charged for glasses and suggested bottles $150+ for dinner.  I  now enjoy mineral water with dinner in stead of wine.    For what I use and want  Seabourn doesn't fit.      It might for you...  not Paul or I

54 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Their  all inclusive liquor, I read , does not extend to wines with dinner where they charged for glasses and suggested bottles $150+ for dinner.  I  now enjoy mineral water with dinner in stead of wine.    For what I use and want  Seabourn doesn't fit.      It might for you...  not Paul or I

You are not charged for the glasses that are included (there are a few options each day). If you want something different, or a bottle, yes, you have to buy that. We were always happy with one of the included options. Might not matter to you - just wanted to state the facts for others (as they were on our Sept Seabourn cruise...)

1 minute ago, Hoyaheel said:

You are not charged for the glasses that are included (there are a few options each day). If you want something different, or a bottle, yes, you have to buy that. We were always happy with one of the included options. Might not matter to you - just wanted to state the facts for others (as they were on our Sept Seabourn cruise...)

Thanks...in reading the menu samples  it appeared that the wines were  for what I could see, extra..  I looked sort of "chicken".   

Some people are fussy about their wine pairings so I imagine that's why there are different wines available that would presumably pair better with the dinner entrees of the evening. I am not fussy 🙂 [due to what I imagine to be constant change based on availability and consumption rates, it can be difficult to find a list of the "regularly available" included Seabourn wines - but they do occasionally exist and some have been posted on CC. I just tell my favorite bartender what I'd like to drink and he tells me what's available and what I might prefer if the red I had yesterday isn't at the bar today....]

Edited by Hoyaheel

7 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Their  all inclusive liquor, I read , does not extend to wines with dinner where they charged for glasses and suggested bottles $150+ for dinner.  

A sample Restaurant dinner menu from Seabourn's website shows that all of the bottles of wine suggested  were under $150.00, and not "$150+".  There are complimentary wines of the day too, and if you had a wine you liked, just ask for it and they will usually locate it for you (at least that has been our experience).

You also must have missed the following statement in Seabourn's advertising:

"Complimentary premium spirits and fine wines available on board at all times"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Looked at Seabourn and they offered more of less , if you understand that.    Less cuisine variety, less public space  and  a way higher price.  I dont need caviar daily..  do not drink much anymore. 

If your 40-60  it might work for you....  I have higher miles on my odometer.

Seabourn's all inclusive liquor is all-inclusive, 'including' wine with dinner and you could have any wine of the complimentary list with your dinner, or anywhere, including your cabin. My attendant knew which wines I liked and they were always stocked in my mini-bar and the servers knew as well. 

I also agree with the other posters on a couple of other items: Seabourn Square is quite special and the atmosphere it creates with the passengers, is as well. The other item is the walk-in closet which I also can't live without. It is my favorite part of the cabin (well aside from the large beautiful bathroom)...all that in a veranda suite.

2 minutes ago, seacruiser123 said:

The other item is the walk-in closet which I also can't live without.

I've seen other not quite so 'bold' expressions of joy.  I just don't get it.  Do you carry THAT many clothes, shoes, etc.?

2 hours ago, clo said:

I've seen other not quite so 'bold' expressions of joy.  I just don't get it.  Do you carry THAT many clothes, shoes, etc.?

Understood if you haven't experienced it. No, we actually  take the minimum to be under the one suitcase threshold. But having that walk-in closet is just like at home--you are more organized, have a space for everything and even a place to pop-in when they are coming in with your breakfast or.... your afternoon caviar & champs 😎🙂 Having space is a luxury just like the large standard veranda cabin itself and large bathroom 😉 Happy travels!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, clo said:

I really don't know what that is.

Perhaps it's the number of suitcases they get to check for free on airlines. My credit card gives me my first bag free on Delta and AA. If you're in First or Business you don't have to worry about it. Some folks with airline status get a certain number of free bags. 

Other than Southwest most airlines charge for bags starting with the first one. 

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

Perhaps it's the number of suitcases they get to check for free on airlines. My credit card gives me my first bag free on Delta and AA. If you're in First or Business you don't have to worry about it. Some folks with airline status get a certain number of free bags. 

Other than Southwest most airlines charge for bags starting with the first one. 

Oh thanks.  We have a Chase United card and also an Alaska one.  With their various partnerships we're pretty well covered.  But one checked bag each and a carryon is generally all we need.

Edited by clo