How do you buy Carnival Shares?

amajaa

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

The weak market plus the Carnival profit warning is why they are on the slide, a satisfactory Brexit deal should see some firming of the price.

Why is Brexit affecting Carnival though as it is an American Company, the UK bit is small?

7 minutes ago, amajaa said:

Why is Brexit affecting Carnival though as it is an American Company, the UK bit is small?

Because the poor fx rate, which is a direct result of Brexit, is making those cruises that use $ as their onboard currency, very expensive. Plus, of course, the general uneconomic uncertainty caused by Brexit. 

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The weak market plus the Carnival profit warning is why they are on the slide, a satisfactory Brexit deal should see some firming of the price.

Brexit’s only part of the problem in that it’s affecting UK brands. This goes way beyond that, and I suspect the root cause is overcapacity, coupled with the fact that Carnival has managed to acquire itself a pretty shoddy international reputation for playing fast and loose with the law, and poor customer service.

Chickens have a habit of coming home to roost once you’ve acquired a reputation for being untrustworthy.

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Chickens have a habit of coming home to roost once you’ve acquired a reputation for being untrustworthy.

Perhaps you could enlighten us all as to evidence for this perceived poor reputation.  

9 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Brexit’s only part of the problem in that it’s affecting UK brands. This goes way beyond that, and I suspect the root cause is overcapacity, coupled with the fact that Carnival has managed to acquire itself a pretty shoddy international reputation for playing fast and loose with the law, and poor customer service.

7 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Take a look at the Press - particularly in America.

Presumably these would be Chloinated chickens HP.:classic_laugh:

14 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Take a look at the Press - particularly in America.

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Presumably these would be Chloinated chickens HP.:classic_laugh:

Nothing to do with chlorinated chickens - all to do with Carnival's disregard for pollution laws - and the courts:

https://www.apnews.com/989d32ac762c4b5288c94532575c5dbe

No wonder the share price is down with this sort of negative publicity - about time Carnival sorted it, instead of continuing in its old, polluting ways thinking it can ignore the courts - and public opinion.

800.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Nothing to do with chlorinated chickens - all to do with Carnival's disregard for pollution laws - and the courts:

You should look up the definition of "irony"!

I find an objective assessment behind the share price movement is sometimes useful

'(Sharecast News) - Berenberg downgraded its stance on shares of cruise operator Carnival to 'sell' from 'hold' on Friday, pointing to a weakening outlook for 2020 following a profit warning the day before. On Thursday, Carnival downgraded its adjusted earnings per share guidance for 2019 to between $4.23 and $4.27 from a previous range of $4.25 to $4.35 as it said highlighted the impact of higher fuel prices. The bank, which cut its price target on the stock to 3,100p from 3,800p, said a combination of the weaker operational outlook and higher fuel costs result in its earnings per share estimate for 2020 coming down to $4, an 11% drop.'

25 minutes ago, mrbluesea said:

I find an objective assessment behind the share price movement is sometimes useful

'(Sharecast News) - Berenberg downgraded its stance on shares of cruise operator Carnival to 'sell' from 'hold' on Friday, pointing to a weakening outlook for 2020 following a profit warning the day before. On Thursday, Carnival downgraded its adjusted earnings per share guidance for 2019 to between $4.23 and $4.27 from a previous range of $4.25 to $4.35 as it said highlighted the impact of higher fuel prices. The bank, which cut its price target on the stock to 3,100p from 3,800p, said a combination of the weaker operational outlook and higher fuel costs result in its earnings per share estimate for 2020 coming down to $4, an 11% drop.'

Strange there's no mention of pollution or poor customer service which are Harry's major concerns.

• Like 1

Well here is my two penn’orth. The original post was about buying shares. We have had them for many years and won’t change the system we have  ( don’t want to pay extra fees). We hold our shares with Hfx/BoS and have done since we bought them. Since GDPR, Hfx has refused to inform third parties ( in this case Carnival) of your holding citing GDPR (coincidentally saving them hassle!) This means that whenever we want to apply for OBC we need to log in, make a screenshot, redact account numbers etc and then fire off the email to Carnival. Not a big deal but a bit of a hassle. If I was to buy Carnival shares today I would opt for a system where you hold a share certificate rather than having a bank hold it as a proxy or better still use a company that allows Carnival to access their shareholders list. 

23 hours ago, wowzz said:

Because the poor fx rate, which is a direct result of Brexit, is making those cruises that use $ as their onboard currency, very expensive. Plus, of course, the general uneconomic uncertainty caused by Brexit. 

In addition Carnivals dollar revenue stream from its P&O UK brand has fallen considerably over recent years so the cost cutting exercises may be the result of this.

I still have my Carnival shares which have proved a good investment with 4 dividends per year. I will keep them for the OBC if I cruise with P&O again or sell them when the share price drops to somewhere near 220p per share.

The best way to buy them is to have a shareholder number so you just email that and no screen captures etc.

7 hours ago, mrbluesea said:

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Strange there's no mention of pollution or poor customer service which are Harry's major concerns.

Did you miss the mention of "weaker operational outlook" when you read it?

54 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

What has that today with pollution and poor customer service?

Potentially a lot - analysts don't go into every detail, but you can be sure they're well aware of the impact negative publicity has on a brand.

Remember the Hoover free flights fiasco, and what happened to Hoover afterwards?

17 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Potentially a lot - analysts don't go into every detail, but you can be sure they're well aware of the impact negative publicity has on a brand.

Remember the Hoover free flights fiasco, and what happened to Hoover afterwards?

For P&O's customer service record that to be relevant to the analysts it would need to be a much bigger revenue earner than it is,  and I doubt the potential negative publicity of Carnival's pollution issues has any relevance to an analyst, compared to the likely impact on sales of a World economic slowdown.  And probably little influence on 99.9% of the customers anyway.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

For P&O's customer service record that to be relevant to the analysts it would need to be a much bigger revenue earner than it is,  and I doubt the potential negative publicity of Carnival's pollution issues has any relevance to an analyst, compared to the likely impact on sales of a World economic slowdown.  And probably little influence on 99.9% of the customers anyway.

My comments on this issue relate to the parent company, Carnival - not specifically to P&O. 

Don't underestimate the damage that can be done to a brand if it achieves a reputation for damaging the environment (which Carnival has achieved over recent times with the way it behaves, and the way it ignores decisions of courts).  Any company that plays as fast and loose with its reputation as Carnival has done is playing with fire, and consumers DO notice.

Obviously impossible to be sure, but all the negative publicity Carnival has received internationally is, I think, likely to be a contributory factor in the declining share price - people don't like companies that wilfully damage the environment.

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

My comments on this issue relate to the parent company, Carnival - not specifically to P&O. 

So do mine because P&O is such a small part of Carnival.

Don't underestimate the damage that can be done to a brand if it achieves a reputation for damaging the environment (which Carnival has achieved over recent times with the way it behaves, and the way it ignores decisions of courts).  Any company that plays as fast and loose with its reputation as Carnival has done is playing with fire, and consumers DO notice.

Let's agree to disagree, I just don't think these issue play any part in the majority of people's decisions to book a cruise.

Obviously impossible to be sure, but all the negative publicity Carnival has received internationally is, I think, likely to be a contributory factor in the declining share price - people don't like companies that wilfully damage the environment.

Carnival is the World's largest cruise line group and didn't get there by ignoring customer needs, once they feel their profits are being hurt more by lost sales because of environmental issues, than by fines, I am sure they will respond.  That might appear cynical but it's the way big business has always worked.

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Carnival is the World's largest cruise line group and didn't get there by ignoring customer needs, once they feel their profits are being hurt more by lost sales because of environmental issues, than by fines, I am sure they will respond.  That might appear cynical but it's the way big business has always worked.

We’re discussing reasons for the falling share price and the poor performance from Carnival. I agree with you up to a point, but companies can become arrogant and think they’re invincible.

Tesco is a case in point. Dave Lewis has managed to turn it round from a disastrous position a few years back after it ignored the threat from Aldi and Lidl, but the damage was done and the share price isn’t that much higher even now.

Carnival has lessons to learn still.

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Tesco is a case in point. Dave Lewis has managed to turn it round from a disastrous position a few years back after it ignored the threat from Aldi and Lidl,

To an extent, I agree with you (!). However, the far bigger issue was the overstatement of profits, due to the way Tesco were double counting forward overiders, marketing contributions etc.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried to apply for the shareholder OBC for later in 2020. I did last week and got the reply back that they couldn’t do it until after 31st of March until the benefits are negotiated again. 

P.S. Anyone that bought shares recently when they were just over £30 got a deal.

24 minutes ago, amajaa said:

Has anyone tried to apply for the shareholder OBC for later in 2020. I did last week and got the reply back that they couldn’t do it until after 31st of March until the benefits are negotiated again. 

P.S. Anyone that bought shares recently when they were just over £30 got a deal.

When are you travelling?  You can't claim benefits until you have paid your balance in full - so approx 3 months before sailing (unless you risk paying in advance).  Each year - presumably at their AGM the benefits and dividends are agreed for the forthcoming year so it looks as though the post 31st March rates are not yet known. 

Edited by kruzseeka

18 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

When are you travelling?  You can't claim benefits until you have paid your balance in full - so approx 3 months before sailing (unless you risk paying in advance).  Each year - presumably at their AGM the benefits and dividends are agreed for the forthcoming year so it looks as though the post 31st March rates are not yet known. 

Actually that is incorrect.  I applied and got obc for our cruises in February  and April next year well before I paid the balance. And in fact, I have still to pay the balance for the April cruise.  After all, there is no reason to withhold giving the obc - if you don't go on the cruise, you won't be needing any obc! 

Edited by wowzz