Melbourne cruise port to airport

24 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Another option is to go across Princes Bridge on St Kilda Road and then go down along Birrarung Marr.

This takes you through parklands on the other side of the river and gets you to the MCG. There is a footbridge from the MCG to the tennis centre.

This route is shown on Leigh’s map. The name Birrarung Marr is hidden under the sign saying 5 minute’s longer.

Another good option but you don’t need to go over the bridge to the MCG, just continue walking along the river to Melbourne Park.

Leigh

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

It can be very congested where the Uber pickup point is with people and luggage waiting to be picked up. After our last cruise, we struggled to walk through there and there was a group having an argument as well! 

Leigh

Every time I have been there the queue has been large so have caught the tram into town and then taxied/ubered from there.

Last time I came off the Golden there was a long wait for taxis (and same the previous time).  The lady in charge did a good job of grouping people as to where they wanted to go and if you were going to the airport or Southern Cross she would generally get 6 or more people and summon a maxi taxi for the group.   Quite a few maxis were arriving.  Sometimes there are lots of taxis and sometimes there are long waits.  

Bearing in mind the poster has a midday flight and it is a Wednesday morning and peak hour traffic could be heavy you would want to disembark early.  Also they are coming from NZ so will have to clear customs which takes a bit longer.

Never needed the Princess airport transfers but maybe they are worth looking into for peace of mind.  We just live 15 minutes away so just stand in line for as long as it takes.

On 6/22/2019 at 6:56 PM, VK3DQ said:

Hi MargoK

hope you are keeping well ... I'm not so good ... (grin)

Last MaxiVan from my home to Tulla Airport was $240  the standard  Maxi was $220   ...just love our Melbourne Taxis

WOW - last time, in 2015 it was $60.00- $70.00

Hi Folks

This is all fine .. but wait till you have to disembark on a day like it was yesterday .. I actually disembarked the casualty ward at our local hospital at about the same time you would disembark the ship ... in the rain and the fog and bitterly cold  ... thats when station pier comes into its own ..  its a disgrace , , 

Three thousand cruise passengers disembarking in the rain ... well done Melbourne

An I live here and would like to see more ships use our port ,,,,,,

At the moment I would not recommend it

Regards

John

10 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

Hi Folks

This is all fine .. but wait till you have to disembark on a day like it was yesterday .. I actually disembarked the casualty ward at our local hospital at about the same time you would disembark the ship ... in the rain and the fog and bitterly cold  ... thats when station pier comes into its own ..  its a disgrace , , 

Three thousand cruise passengers disembarking in the rain ... well done Melbourne

An I live here and would like to see more ships use our port ,,,,,,

At the moment I would not recommend it

Regards

John

I hope all is well with you John or family re casualty department visit yesterday. 

Fortunately, we haven't had to disembark in bad weather in Melbourne but have in Sydney when it was pouring and we were walking to Circular Quay to catch the train.  It was raining in the port for Ho Chi Minh City when we were boarding, passengers were lined up right back from the top of the gangway to out on the pier waiting to board. We were soaked! But at least we were able to shower and change our clothes before heading to dinner.

It doesn't appear that the government, either state or federal are all that interested in doing anything to improve the facilities at Station Pier.  We have had easy embarkations and disembarkations thankfully but I guess the worst part is the walk from the terminal to the gates or vice versa at the beginning of the pier over an uneven and narrow path.  We have found the terminal to be fine if somewhat dated. 

Leigh

• 1 month later...

Can anyone recommend a service for transport to airport hotel?  We are a group of 8 adults traveling together and would like to book something ahead of time that can accommodate all of us and our luggage. Disembarking Celebrity Solstice on a Saturday morning. 

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:53 AM, BoopTennis said:

thank you. Also need to walk if possible over to Melbourne arena for tennis.

It is such an easy walk to the Tennis Centre from the Quest Apartments. I would walk across Princes Bridge to just before Federation Square and walk along Birrarung Marr straight to the tennis centre. A walk of about 10 minutes. If you prefer to try something different, try a ferry on the Yarra as you are staying very close to the pick up point.

Here is a map to help you.

https://walkingmaps.com.au/walk/160

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

We always use a limousine company when go out to the airport or when leaving and arriving back to Melbourne by ship.

The firm we use is Southern Cross  and here is the link;  https://www.vha.com.au/ It is well worth using them. I couldn't think of anything worse than walking our luggage to the light rail which is at least 200 metres from the escalator that brings us down from the ship, especially if the weather is wet, rainy and windy. Then having to walk up Spencer Street and getting on a Skybus. You may save a few dollars but it just isn't worth it, especially when you take into consideration the cost of the cruise, airfares, etc. 

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal
  • Like 1