ez air - what economy class am I booking?

ghstudio

we are travelling us to England early next year.  I am looking at ezair to compare to using AA airmiles or other offers on the airline's or other internet sites.  

Princess EzAir offers regular and flexible prices.  Naturally, BA and AA have neither....BA offers economy (without luggage) or Economy (with luggage); AA offers basic economy and main cabin economy.   Near as I can tell, BA economy with luggage also gives you earlier boarding....and I've seen it called standard economy.....very (likely intentionally) confusing.

I don't know which economy Princess is selling....and after 20 minutes of listening to how important my call was to them while on hold, I finally just hung up.

Does anyone know how to map Princess economy fares into BA and/or AA fares so I can figure out if bags are included, if I can get seats, etc.

Once I book the ticket, will the reservation be on AA/BA web sites even though Princess doesn't actually pay the airline for the ticket until we almost sail?

Edited by ghstudio

26 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

we are travelling us to England early next year.  I am looking at ezair to compare to using AA airmiles or other offers on the airline's or other internet sites.  

Princess EzAir offers regular and flexible prices.  Naturally, BA and AA have neither....BA offers economy (without luggage) or Economy (with luggage); AA offers basic economy and main cabin economy.   Near as I can tell, BA economy with luggage also gives you earlier boarding....and I've seen it called standard economy.....very (likely intentionally) confusing.

I don't know which economy Princess is selling....and after 20 minutes of listening to how important my call was to them while on hold, I finally just hung up.

Does anyone know how to map Princess economy fares into BA and/or AA fares so I can figure out if bags are included, if I can get seats, etc.

Once I book the ticket, will the reservation be on AA/BA web sites even though Princess doesn't actually pay the airline for the ticket until we almost sail?

In our experience they are selling (economy) exactly what you would get if you booked direct with the airline.

No free luggage allowance......

For example .......BA and Lufthansa typically do not allow any (economy) seat assignments until 24 hours prior to the flight.

When I book a United flight operated by Lufthansa I do get 2 free bags per person on the booking in accordance with my United Chase Visa Club Card perks.  This seemed to start within the last year. In the past we never received the perk when we used the card to pay for the cruise. I can also pick my seat on the main flight in our case to Frankfurt because it is a United flight. The connecting flight was Lufthansa and no seat assignment was possible until 24 hours prior. 

If I booked the same flight on Lufthansa I would get no bag perk and I could not pick the seat until 24 hours prior to the cruise.

I can book both economy fares directly with the airlines...and they are both "economy" fares.

The info when I click on baggage allowance would lead me to believe it's the higher rates that include one checked bag...but that's a guess.

You really have to look at the different airlines to understand how difficult it is to figure out what you are buying, be it from EzAir or any other web sit when they aren't specific and they don't even give a fare code.  Some sites show the lowest economy fare they can, others show what we know as the old economy prices which are now standard economy and so on.

One reason I prefer AA to BA is seat assignments..... 

1 minute ago, ghstudio said:

I can book both economy fares directly with the airlines...and they are both "economy" fares.

The info when I click on baggage allowance would lead me to believe it's the higher rates that include one checked bag...but that's a guess.

You really have to look at the different airlines to understand how difficult it is to figure out what you are buying, be it from EzAir or any other web sit when they aren't specific and they don't even give a fare code.  Some sites show the lowest economy fare they can, others show what we know as the old economy prices which are now standard economy and so on.

One reason I prefer AA to BA is seat assignments..... 

Like I said when we booked BA through EZ Air we could not pick seats until 24 hours prior.

Only 1 of the few reasons we will not fly them unless we have to.

We booked one flight from Copenhagen last year on BA through EZair.  It was regular economy with one bag included.  We were not able to pick seats until it was completely paid for, which we did early as I wanted to pay/select certain seats.

This year we are flying to Heathrow roundtrip on flights that are AA serviced by BA.  We booked one leg through EZair and the return direct with AA on points.   They both include one bag and we were able to select seats right away for both without paying upfront on EZair.  We paid for upgraded seats for 1 seat going and 2 seats on the return.

Looking at the ezair web site, I am looking at the restricted economy fare....Tampa to gatwick in April 2020....BA non stop flight.

I click on baggage allowance and the page says, among other things, 1 checked bag is included.  That would imply that Princess is quoting the baggage included or BA standard economy rate, not the lower economy category which only includes carry on bags.  I would like to confirm that it's not just some baggage info page that hasn't been updated with BA's new fares.  Or should I believe Colo Cruiser?? Cruise line web sites are notorious for having old/wrong info. 

BTW, one other reason it's important is that if it's the cheapest fare, you board last and likely have to check your carry ons...and have to pay for a seat if you don't want to sit in the middle..

I don't think my wireless home phone has a long enough battery life to wait for a human to answer at ezair...and the Princess agents I've spoken first try to guess and then I realize they have no clue that what used to just be economy is now two different economy offerings.

frustrating.....likely I'll just book somewhere else and lose the nice ezair feature where I can cancel with no penalty up to at least final payment time.

Edited by ghstudio

Whenever we use EZAir, we select that AA filter. Immediately after booking on EZAir, I grab the record locator number and go straight to the AA website, make the flight(s) part of my trip record and then select seats. I normally try to do this just as the 330 day window opens. Although EZAir links to a "select seats" page, the ones I want are not available and coded with the instruction to "contact the airline".

You've no doubt seen the bright red banner on EZAir notifying the user that baggage fees may be incurred. Caveat emptor

Edited by Ep010835
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

Or should I believe Colo Cruiser?? Cruise line web sites are notorious for having old/wrong info. 

Not a matter of who you believe. I was giving you our experience.

As I stated a couple of times Princess changes things.

You won't know what you will get until you book imo.

I have confirmed with Princess EzAir that they are not selling the (relatively) new "Basic Economy" fares....the EzAir fares are what BA calls "economy with luggage and AA calls Main Cabin Economy.

(it took 32 minutes on hold).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

I have confirmed with Princess EzAir that they are not selling the (relatively) new "Basic Economy" fares....the EzAir fares are what BA calls "economy with luggage and AA calls Main Cabin Economy.

Bet you're glad you didn't let yourself become overly frustrated and book somewhere else! 😀

16 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Bet you're glad you didn't let yourself become overly frustrated and book somewhere else! 😀

The saga has not yet ended 🤔 

Going back to the EzAir web site and searching for flights, I get different results, prices and availability between flexible and restricted every time I search.  I've done it six times with the same search and I've gotten widely different results.  

I know airfares change often, but not minute to minute continuously.....

I think I'll just leave this, most of the afternoon, challenge for now and enjoy some nice bourbon by the pool.....

31 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

The saga has not yet ended 🤔 

Going back to the EzAir web site and searching for flights, I get different results, prices and availability between flexible and restricted every time I search.  I've done it six times with the same search and I've gotten widely different results.  

I know airfares change often, but not minute to minute continuously.....

I think I'll just leave this, most of the afternoon, challenge for now and enjoy some nice bourbon by the pool.....

Or pick the lowest one that shows up. If you find a lower one in 10 minutes.......book that one!

23 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Or pick the lowest one that shows up. If you find a lower one in 10 minutes.......book that one!

Usually Basic Economy fares do not allow upgrades and no prior seat selection but Main Economy does allow upgrades and I believe they do allow seat selection.

1 hour ago, ghstudio said:

That’s always been my EZair experiences & appreciate confirming that’s still their policy.

Yesterday I booked a Flexible EZair flight on AA and was able to reserve seats which isn’t possible with their Basic Economy airfares until shortly before flying.

• Like 1

We just returned from a Mediterranean cruise with flights booked through Princess EZAir (flexible fares). I flew Lufthansa from DFW via FRA to BCN and United from ATH via EWR to DFW. The Lufthansa website showed "Economy (K)" for the Lufthansa flights and the United website showed "United Economy (L)" for the United flights. We were able to check one bag each in both directions - in addition to a walker that we were able to check both directions at no charge. We were able to select seats in advance on the United flights but not on the Lufthansa flights.

• Like 2

T

Thats the way it works. We never take restricted. The prices are much cheaper for flexible.

Are you logged into you're booking when searching for air?

52 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Thats the way it works. We never take restricted. The prices are much cheaper for flexible.

Are you logged into you're booking when searching for air?

yes...logged in.  My wife and I just got different prices for the same flights from EzAir.  I'm going to go with the suggestion to keep trying and take the lowest offer 🙂

BTW....I checked American for the same flights and EzAir is $4 less per person with flexible fares.  All American metal so I can get seats in advance, etc.  Saga is coming to a close soon....

For comparison, flights on EzAir RT  $652pp.  Flights on American using air miles 60,000 miles plus $188 pp.  That values American Frequent flier points at $.007 per points.  

yes...logged in.  My wife and I just got different prices for the same flights from EzAir.  I'm going to go with the suggestion to keep trying and take the lowest offer 🙂

BTW....I checked American for the same flights and EzAir is $4 less per person with flexible fares.  All American metal so I can get seats in advance, etc.  Saga is coming to a close soon....

For comparison, flights on EzAir RT  $652pp.  Flights on American using air miles 60,000 miles plus $188 pp.  That values American Frequent flier points at $.007 per points.  

You can rebook 10 times a day or more if you want. With no charge for doing so. 

You will incur a charge/change fee for changes only if you make changes within 45 days of embarkation. 

These are, of course, flights from the “flexible” menu. 

You've got nothing to lose.  

Edited by Ep010835

when booking EZ Air, I will input my AA Frequent Flier number and then go to select my seats. Sometimes I can book the premium seats on EZ Air if Princess picks up my status, other times I can’t. (Haven’t figured out why yet). It’s no biggie as by inputting the FF number means that when I go to AA.COM the reservation is already there and I can then make my seat requests if I couldn’t do it on EZ Air and also submit the upgrade requests too. 

On my next cruise I’ve actually cancelled my flights twice and rebooked as I used flexible fares. The first is when we decided to take a direct flight from LAX, rather than a connecting flight from my home airport of SAN and the second was when the price of the LAX flight dropped by about 30%. All of our flights booked into standard economy which I checked before booking as I don’t want anything to do with a basic economy fare.

I have my fingers crossed that EZ Air comes up with a reasonable business class fare from LAX to PPT for our Tahitian cruise next year, but those flights will not be available for booking until December.

yes...it continues.  I booked flexible fares on BA/AA and the reservation shows on the AA site....with the seat assignments I requested when booking on the EzAir site.   I can't, however.  even request premium seats which my frequent flyer status allows me to book free.  On the AA site, the reservation is "on request" and they don't give me an option to change the seats.  Calling AA, they tell me they can only change the seats for a $50 charge....I have to work through my TA.  

I will try to reach EzAir during the week and see if they can change the seats...or maybe I can find someone at AA who will help.  Nothing in travel is easy these days.   We do however have flights and reserved seats....and if nothing else works, I'll be able to move to preferred seats once Princess pays AA for the tickets.  

6 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Curious........

The TA has nothing to do with EZ Air.

The passenger handles the air.

What would/could the TA do?

EzAir IS a TA....that's how they book tickets.  They are the TA for anything you do on EzAir......which has nothing to do with the TA that booked your cabin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

EzAir IS a TA....that's how they book tickets.  They are the TA for anything you do on EzAir......which has nothing to do with the TA that booked your cabin.

EZ Air is Princess.......you still  have to have Princess reps relay your info to the ez air desk.

48 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

yes...it continues.  I booked flexible fares on BA/AA and the reservation shows on the AA site....with the seat assignments I requested when booking on the EzAir site.   I can't, however.  even request premium seats which my frequent flyer status allows me to book free.  On the AA site, the reservation is "on request" and they don't give me an option to change the seats.  Calling AA, they tell me they can only change the seats for a $50 charge....I have to work through my TA.  

I will try to reach EzAir during the week and see if they can change the seats...or maybe I can find someone at AA who will help.  Nothing in travel is easy these days.   We do however have flights and reserved seats....and if nothing else works, I'll be able to move to preferred seats once Princess pays AA for the tickets.  

You might have to pay the air fare and be ticketed in order to get the seat upgrade. At least this is how United works, you can't select a premium leg room seat until the fare has been paid. This is done in the airline site.

1 hour ago, skynight said:

You might have to pay the air fare and be ticketed in order to get the seat upgrade. At least this is how United works, you can't select a premium leg room seat until the fare has been paid. This is done in the airline site.

On AA, I’ve been able to select Main Cabin Extra seats (the extra legroom and free drinkies seats) using my FF account, even though the ticket is still pending until Princess pays for the tickets. What I have found is that I have to use a web browser on an iPad, or PC to select my seats, rather than using the AA app on my phone.