Glacier Bay

We are going on our 4th Alaska cruise next year on the Bliss and, I was wondering, if they still face the glacier with one side facing it and after a period of time turn the ship so that those on the other side that have balconies get the same opportunity to see it from their staterooms?

1 hour ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

We are going on our 4th Alaska cruise next year on the Bliss and, I was wondering, if they still face the glacier with one side facing it and after a period of time turn the ship so that those on the other side that have balconies get the same opportunity to see it from their staterooms?

Yes   There is also a number of places outdoors to view the glaciers.  In the last year or so an area of the bow has been opened to passengers to view the glaciers.

• Thanks 1

As the prior poster mentioned, the ship does make a 360 degree turn so everyone gets the opportunity to view the glaciers.  Glacier Bay is magnificent, so be prepared to be amazed!  I have been on 6 Alaska cruises, some including Glacier Bay and some not.  IMHO Glacier Bay is the highlight of the cruise.

• Like 1

Just now, nwcruiselover said:

As the prior poster mentioned, the ship does make a 360 degree turn so everyone gets the opportunity to view the glaciers.  Glacier Bay is magnificent, so be prepared to be amazed!  I have been on 6 Alaska cruises, some including Glacier Bay and some not.  IMHO Glacier Bay is the highlight of the cruise.

The ship makes two 180 degree turns - one at Margerie Glacier (which you'll be up close to) and one at Johns Hopkins Glacier (which is in the distance).  You will be able to see from both sides, but in both cases the ship is turning around to go back out.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

The ship does spin, but don't limit yourself to views from  your balcony, go high on the ship so that you can get a 360 degree view.

• Thanks 1

If you want to go up Johns Hopkins Inlet to get "close" to Johns Hopkins Glacier check that your cruise can do that.   I believe that the JH Inlet is closed to cruise liners for quite a period of the summer.  I may be wrong!!

I just got back on June 2. I had an inside so went outside to view the scenery. The weather that morning was chilly and windy but warmed up quite a bit as the sun came out. Didn't need a high deck - deck 8 forward - helipad opened for that day only and was the perfect place to be. Recommended by the Captain at a Latitudes meeting I went to and he was absolutely correct. Go early, pick a spot on the railing and stay there. Don't feel guilty (if you get up and going that early on vacation you deserve it). I did and lost my spot when I offered it to others just before a large calving of the glacier occurred - I missed it...this was my second Alaska cruise. If I do it again I'm staying planted. BTW, I bought the thermal spa - was by myself in an inside cabin - and this was the absolute best purchase I've ever made on board. Basically floor to ceiling windows on three sides of the room, tile heated loungers and you can watch the scenery go by in comfort without paying the exorbitant price for a balcony. And yes, the Captain does a 180 at the far end of the bay so whichever side you're on you see the Glaciers up close 😉

Edited by NRWPA
weather

2 hours ago, NRWPA said:

I just got back on June 2. I had an inside so went outside to view the scenery. The weather that morning was chilly and windy but warmed up quite a bit as the sun came out. Didn't need a high deck - deck 8 forward - helipad opened for that day only and was the perfect place to be. Recommended by the Captain at a Latitudes meeting I went to and he was absolutely correct. Go early, pick a spot on the railing and stay there. Don't feel guilty (if you get up and going that early on vacation you deserve it). I did and lost my spot when I offered it to others just before a large calving of the glacier occurred - I missed it...this was my second Alaska cruise. If I do it again I'm staying planted. BTW, I bought the thermal spa - was by myself in an inside cabin - and this was the absolute best purchase I've ever made on board. Basically floor to ceiling windows on three sides of the room, tile heated loungers and you can watch the scenery go by in comfort without paying the exorbitant price for a balcony. And yes, the Captain does a 180 at the far end of the bay so whichever side you're on you see the Glaciers up close 😉

Question - what is the cost for the Thermal Spa?    We are looking at doing this cruise in September and it would be our very first NCL cruise.  Husband loves the Thermal Spas and I think that this might be something to compensate if we went with an Inside cabin and not a balcony. 

12 hours ago, TxSweetThang said:

Question - what is the cost for the Thermal Spa?    We are looking at doing this cruise in September and it would be our very first NCL cruise.  Husband loves the Thermal Spas and I think that this might be something to compensate if we went with an Inside cabin and not a balcony. 

For this cruise, it was $269 ($249 if bought online prior to cruise). I justified the cost bc I was sailing alone in the inside and didn't plan to do many shore excursions but had OBC to spend.